SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Saw an interesting piece today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw an interesting piece today Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Colt Police Positive in .32, 4-ish inch barrel.

VERY nice condition, no bluing damage that I could see, original grips with no scratches or marring. Cylinder crane and lockup nice and tight. Action a little stiff, I'd expect from dried up, gummy lube.

Belongs to an acquaintance that showed it to me when he noticed the holster on my belt. I left the S&W 60 I habitually carry in the truck as I was working on his tractor.

Told him not to let anybody bullshit him out of it, I felt it was worth some fairly serious money.

Any body care to make a wild-assed guess as to a ballpark figure? I know there's not enough data to make an informed estimate, I'd just like to give him a general idea. I swagged "several hundred".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did he happen to know the date of manufacture? They can be pretty sweet shooters.

I am seeing priced asked for ranging from 258 no box papers to 800 ish with all the trimmings.

There is a 1920's CPP 32 4 inch in about the condition you have mentioned serial starts 1647 on an auction page for 649.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I didn't think to ask.

I did a bit of surfing and it seems that the PP is the least sought-after of all the Colts.

I'll see him again fairly soon and I'll get the serial number and ask him about the year. Doubt he knows, it was his grandfather's gun. He's 44 so it may not be all that old.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
According to Proofhouse.com, the last manufacture date for the Police Positive .32 was 1943.

http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

That link should provide good info for manufacture date by serial number.

IMO Colt used somewhat confusing nomenclature for their pistols and revolvers, though, so it’s possible that your friend’s gun is another model, in .32 caliber.

I have a 4” barreled Colt Cobra in .32 New Police (Colt’s name for the better known .32 S&W Long), made in the 1960s. It looks like a Police Positive, but has a round butt aluminum alloy frame and is marked “Cobra”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
sold a couple not long ago, about 60%, in the 350$ range

Police Positve will say Police Positive on the barrel,

common revolvers, basically the pre WWII version of the Smith Mod 10,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sorry, haven't checked this thread in quite a while.

It did say "Police Positive" on the barrel.

I'll pass the information posted on to the owner.

Thanks.