SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Interesting Sport models that I've never seen before - Ones with the classic 2-piece folded slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Sport models that I've never seen before - Ones with the classic 2-piece folded slide Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I've always thought that Sport models were all stainless. Or really, the only ones I've ever seen were like that.

But, recently 2 Sports popped up that have the old folded slide. Eek One is a P220 Sport and the other P226 Sport.

P220 Sport - year 1998. All matching numbers. "P220 S" on slide. Adjustable rear sight. Front sight on slide, not on the big weight. Not a FrankenSIG. The original gray cardboard box has the factory label stating it's the Sport. Frame appears to be stainless.

P226 Sport - year 1995, KF date code. W. Germany. All matching numbers. "P226 S" on slide. Adjustable rear sight. Again, not a FrankenSIG. The original gray cardboard box has the factory label stating it's the Sport. Frame appears to be the typical black anodized aluminum one.

These are still active, so I cannot post the sources/links. Just wanted to see if anyone has seen one of these folded slide Sports before. Obviously, these are the predecessors to the later all stainless Sport models.

Q

Posts: 26317 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing.

I was unaware Sports existed in this configuration.

I wonder what kind of production numbers there were.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i hadn't seen the folded slides until the recent gb listings.

it seems the 1st 226 sport, with barrel weigh,t had an aluminum frame & would become the 226 sport 2, with stainless frame.

Posts: 2210 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Q, I saw exactly what you were talking about the other day. I thought, yeah BS til I saw the cardboard boxes with matching serial numbers. Very interesting. When you get them it'll be great to see some of YOUR pictures of them!

Posts: 437 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
Q, I saw exactly what you were talking about the other day. I thought, yeah BS til I saw the cardboard boxes with matching serial numbers. Very interesting. When you get them it'll be great to see some of YOUR pictures of them!

I have no interest in these Sports. Just found them interesting as they add to my SIG knowledge base. So, there will be no pics, sorry.

Q

Posts: 26317 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
220S with the Pachmyar grips, carbon steel slide, yeah must be the predecessor of the SS models.

On the 226 surprised to see a total of six for sale at one time. Four 226 Sport (SS), and two Sport Stock (hard chrome), nothing on the label indicating Hard Chrome, so must be after market. Did they even have Hard Chrome back then?

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ No way that's hard chrome. Looks more like Nickel on the folded slide P226 and just plain stainless on the stainless ones.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
220S with the Pachmyar grips, carbon steel slide, yeah must be the predecessor of the SS models.

On the 226 surprised to see a total of six for sale at one time. Four 226 Sport (SS), and two Sport Stock (hard chrome), nothing on the label indicating Hard Chrome, so must be after market. Did they even have Hard Chrome back then?

they're not sport stocks with the bull barrel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ No way that's hard chrome. Looks more like Nickel on the folded slide P226 and just plain stainless on the stainless ones.

That's the description the seller has on the auction (not me), reason why I questioned if they even had hard chrome back in the eighties judging by the cardboard box, the two cardboard "Chrome" auctions appear to have standard barrels, just from what I can make out at pics showing the barrel in the slide and not SS barrels, but then again these may have been the predecessors...I didn't see any pics of the two 226 S cardboard box barrels exposed, but if they are bull barrels I guess that would explain the Sport label shown on both boxes.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yes, I was referring to the seller, not you. They have been known give wrong descriptions with these imports.

Q

posted Hide Post
Yup they occasionally do, no problem Q. Smile

posted Hide Post
Thanks airbubba.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
airbubba, please remove the screenshot. Do not want this thread to get nuked. Thanks.

Q

posted Hide Post
thank you!

posted Hide Post
The Chrome 226's are new to me. The 220 is 1 year and roughly 3000 units higher by serial number than a similar configuration P220S I have. The grips should be wood nills and the S appears to be added after the fact to the slide.

Posts: 93 | Location: Central, FL | Registered: August 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The P226 Sport has a test target different than the factory test targets I'm familiar with. As I've never owned a SIG with adjustable sights is this the type of factory test target SIG includes with their adjustable sight models?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post