SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Electroless Nickel Model?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Electroless Nickel Model? Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a nice West German P220 yesterday at a local gun show has KE date code, it did not come with box and papers. Anybody know what type of finish is this?? any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 26 | Location: florida | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Does not look Ni to me. More like Cerakote or something equivalent.

Here is a factory Ni P220, KB (1991) date code.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Another factory Ni P220, from 1998.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Either Mahovsky Metalife or Norrell's Teflon Moly. I'm leaning towards the later, having examples of both

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like matte hard chrome to me. I have a AP&W 228 from circa 1996 that looks just like it.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
silver Teflon Moly

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 26 | Location: florida | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Going to go with hard chrome on this one. Nice P220!!

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mag in PGT's pic looks more like yours. My HC mag has a semi-polished look. My mag looks like the barrel hood in the original pic.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the reply's, see pic of the inside of the forward frame unfinished area here, maybe this will help to determine the finish.

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I don’t know enough about how NP3 is applied. I’d think hard chrome wouldn’t have the bare spot inside the hood of the slide, whereas NP3 might.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I don’t know enough about how NP3 is applied. I’d think hard chrome wouldn’t have the bare spot inside the hood of the slide, whereas NP3 might.

Robar strips off the anodization, before doing their NP3. Yes, they do. So, it is extremely unlikely that they would leave bare aluminum anywhere on the gun. Wink

Q

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Robar strips off the anodization, before doing their NP3. Yes, they do. So, it is extremely unlikely that they would leave bare aluminum anywhere on the gun. Wink

Thank Q! Smile

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
looks exactly like my Hard Chrome 220 done by Accurate weapon and plating aka Cogan.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
looks exactly like my Hard Chrome 220 done by Accurate weapon and plating aka Cogan.

Thanks for the info, so the inside of your frame looks just like mine too?

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
yep, exactly

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post