SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Storing magazines - any suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing magazines - any suggestions? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
If you have a number of pistols and rifles and a bunch of magazines for each, how do you store them and organize them so you know what you have and have access to it easily?

I've seem some 50cal ammo cans with inserts and such, but seems like they take up a good deal of space given what they will store.

What do you do?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
This was discussed last year, I believe. Not sure how you can find that thread, but there were some great ideas. The most common was clear, shoebox-sized Tupperware’s.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have separate range bags for most of mine.
And then for all the Glock mags I use clear tupperware.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
Here you go...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5650098434

Thanks for the link. I use something like the Sterlte drawers at the moment, but a smaller version. Before I went out and bought more or larger, I wanted to see what others were doing.

I've also used the iShot magazine pouches and really like them but, as one poster mentions, you can't get them any more.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I store mine in gallon-sized Ziploc bags, and I use a sharpie to label what's inside.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not enough magazines 4x5 Smile.
I store mine in plastic totes.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
I've also used the iShot magazine pouches and really like them but, as one poster mentions, you can't get them any more.

You can get California Competition Works pistol magazine pouches from either Brownells or MidWay. I like the IShot pouches a bit better just because they seem to be marginally better made, but the CCW pouches work just fine.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Assuming soft mag cases are being considered...

For storage, the GPS mag cases hold 16 doublestack mags and are usually under $20
https://www.opticsplanet.com/g...ne-storage-case.html

For range trips, the Bulldog mag cases hold 5 doublestacks are are usually $8
https://www.opticsplanet.com/b...mag-pouch-black.html

For single stacks, you can usually squeeze two into one of the above options or the Tuff 10 InLine is $35 (a pricey option by my standards, but I haven't found a cheap single stack option)
https://www.opticsplanet.com/t...nline-mag-pouch.html

And for AR mags, the VISM clone holds 12 mags for $14 and work for transport also (for longer term storage you can also jam a good bit of them into an ammo can, especially the slightly larger plastic ones)
https://www.opticsplanet.com/v...rier-cvmrc2941b.html

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ll be buying an MTM ACR8 ammo crate for the AR mags.

Otherwise, Sterilite for the pistols.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old Craftsman tool chest that was outgrown by my tool collection. Houses my gun tools up top and several pistol mags in bottom. I am looking for a molle panel for my next safe to secure soft midway mag pouches and M60 pouches to the inside of the door for storage for the rare/odd/expensive stuff.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post

Something vaguely similar to this for me, but older, taller, with a few more scratches and scuffs and a lot more mileage on its rollers. Comes in handy for spare gun parts as well. Biggest pain was finding floor space for it, since the new roller cabinet that replaced it (to store actual tools in) took its spot in my garage.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on how many mags you have and how organized you want to be, but I use a large clear plastic fishing lure box with movable dividers.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Tuff Products makes 5 and 8 mag holders.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
So far I only have my Smith and Wesson magazines covered

OK, truth is I also use the shoe box sized clear plastic tubs in the top shelf in the closet

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got some magnetic tool holder strips from harbor freight...I think they were $4/apiece. I mounted them to the wall in the closet above my safe. Holds all my metal mags just fine. Glock mags not so well,and definitely not pmags. Those live in ammo cans.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
.30 cal. ammo cans with a label on the top.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I asked this question a while ago on a different local forum. The best answer I got was a hanging shoe caddy ... either on a clothes rod or attached to the inside door of your safe. The shoe box sized boxes was also a good option. I only have a few rifles with removable mags, and for them, I use ammo cans.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post