SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield EMP4 Concealed Carry Contour or Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield EMP4 Concealed Carry Contour or Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Carry Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,

My current carry pieces include a glock 42 and a sig p239. I've been throwing around the idea of getting a larger pistol to include in the rotation. I prefer a safety and if I decide to pickup the beretta would convert the decocker to a safety. In terms of reliability and accuracy, which would you go with? I have no experience with either, but have shot 1911 .45's. I think that the ability to accurately place shots on target under stress is paramount, which is why I want to look at a carry piece that is a little larger.

I honestly don't even know if I'll get one, but they are two new sweet pistols that I am really interested in.

Thanks!

Sig - Beretta - Ruger - Colt - Glock

Posts: 79 | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go emp personally, just always wanted one

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Although I'm a big Beretta fan, the PX4 has never really done it for me. Not that they're bad guns, just not my cup of tea. The rotating barrel design is interesting, but the rest of the gun lacks the classic traditional mechanical beauty of the 92 series, and when one considers it as a purely defensive weapon, it lacks the utilitarian simplicity of a Glock or other similar offerings. Just my $0.02...YMMV.

The EMP on the other hand, suits me just fine. You get a lot of the traditional 1911 mechanics, including the excellent 1911 trigger geometry, in a purpose-built 9mm or .40 platform. I love mine, even with it's faults (I did a Range Report on it a few weeks back, if you're interested in more detail ), and it's been 100% with factory ammo.

Honestly, you're comparing two very different platforms here, and I think it's ultimately got to come down to personal preference. I'd say hold and (if you can) shoot them both and see which you like best. Also, with their differences, each could compliment the other in someone's collection. Maybe the question shouldn't be either or, but which one should you buy first? Razz

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I planned on renting a PX4, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a EMP let alone an EMP4 to rent. I have been leaning towards the EMP4, and your review is helping my case. Everything that I read about the EMP4 tells me about how accurate it is, and your paper plate group is pretty tight! I wanted a Dan Wesson Guardian, but for the money, I feel like they are similar products. The Dan Wesson probably has a better finish, but if I went with the Springfield, it would be the most expensive handgun I own anyway... A local she has both of them behind the counter and I have held both, and I like them equally. The grip of the Springfield melds into my hand better, but I can't help to like the smoothness of the beretta... If I could only buy both!

Sig - Beretta - Ruger - Colt - Glock

Posts: 79 | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cchino17:
I planned on renting a PX4, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a EMP let alone an EMP4 to rent. I have been leaning towards the EMP4, and your review is helping my case. Everything that I read about the EMP4 tells me about how accurate it is, and your paper plate group is pretty tight! I wanted a Dan Wesson Guardian, but for the money, I feel like they are similar products. The Dan Wesson probably has a better finish, but if I went with the Springfield, it would be the most expensive handgun I own anyway... A local she has both of them behind the counter and I have held both, and I like them equally. The grip of the Springfield melds into my hand better, but I can't help to like the smoothness of the beretta... If I could only buy both!

Sounds like you and I went through a similar process. I really wanted a DW...and I have no doubt it is a better gun, but the cost was just too high. The EMP is definitely the most expensive handgun I've ever purchased, though, and I am very happy with it for my intended purpose (target use, and maybe at some point competition). I guess if I really had to pick only one, liked them both equally, and the intended purpose was primarily carry...I'd probably lean towards the Beretta if only for the capacity. But, IMO, you're not going wrong with either one.

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two very different platforms, PX4 (15+1), EMP (9+1). Trigger is very different, I'm a season shooter and personally wouldn't carry any handgun with a safety not to mention for the size of the emp a very limited capacity. The EMP is an excellent handgun from what I read so I'm not trying to take away anything just not my first pick.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I have the EMP and the Compact version of the Storm and if I could only keep one, it would be the EMP. Even though it has less magazine capacity, it shoots better and is really easy to carry and conceal.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the SA gun, I like the beretta but in my opinion it's to thick for concealed carry

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I had the PX4 in sub-compact and full size, both were good (the rotating barrel system on the full sized was very nice) but I hated the batwing safeties/decockers. Both were accurate.

Ultimately I sold/traded them off since I no longer wanted DA/SA for carry.

No experience with the EMP, but either would be a good choice.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4364 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my EMP4 9mm. Would like a contour, I CCW a P938. Would carry the emp but I am spoiled to the Sig.

Posts: 449 | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an unusual comparison. They are two really different guns. I have never shot a PX4 but I have numerous Cougars which are the metal precursor to the PX4's. Love my Cougars. I have an EMP4. The EMP never appealed to me, the micro 1911's aren't my thing, but the commander size EMP4 does.

My EMP4 has exactly one malfunction. First mag, one time using Tula. After that it has been perfect through about 1000 rounds.

The only problem with the EMP and it actually is a positive, is the proprietary mags. Have to buy Springfield mags but they don't have that spacer and they are actually designed around the cartridge.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post