SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2006. P226 X-Five Competition extraction
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006. P226 X-Five Competition extraction Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a 2006 P226 X-Five Competition 9mm. Have not shot it yet. I keep reading about persistent extraction issues whith those guns. So I went ahead and bought the latest design X-Five extractor. Just in case.Can someone explain to me a bit more about it please. Thank You

Posts: 36 | Registered: March 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. Have not shot it yet. I keep reading about persistent extraction issues whith those guns. So I went ahead and bought the latest design X-Five extractor. Just in case.Can someone explain to me a bit more about it please. Thank You

Shoot it, I have never heard of the ejection issue you mentioned. I don't have the issue with my X5AO.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extraction issues. Not ejection. I keep reading 9mm X-Five's having issues

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not all early extractors had "issues", although reading the internet, you would think it's a universal fatal flaw.

So, how about shoot it first? Your gun might turn out just fine.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Not all early extractors had "issues", although reading the internet, you would think it's a universal fatal flaw.

So, how about shoot it first? Your gun might turn out just fine.
Exactly. Reading the internet, seems like its a problem with practically all of them

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The worst accessory for any handgun is an internet connection.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I might as well post to this. I bought a brand new X-Five competition in 2006, it was made in 2005. I did have failures to extract. I contacted Sig and they sent me a new extractor. I put it in and it was better but still not 100%. It seems to work best with the 124gr NATO rounds. Grayguns had and may still do an extractor upgrade for $200 plus shipping but you had to send your pistol in not just the slide. For the money, I just decided to keep it as is. It's only one failure 99 to 99.8% of the time. I love the gun, the trigger, sights and accuracy are great and it is just a range gun. Anyhow believe what you want to on the internet, but mine had problems. YMMV.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My late 2013 9mm SIG P226 X5 Conp has the newer version of the extractor. It had several FTEx instances over the first two hundred rounds, but none since. I now have thousand rounds through it. Mostly ball, 10% JHP.

I do take care to clean the extractor claw when I clean the gun.

Member GaryBF had a good photo of the original and new extractor.

Mine has a Robert Burke action job and Hogue G-mascus black-gray checkered grips. I also replaced the long mag release with a standard P226 mag release. I love this pistol!

BTW – the .40 S&W models were far less likely than the 9mm models to have extraction issues.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have a heavily shot model from the mid 2000s. Used in USPSA and PPC. Has never failed to extract, not once.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a heavily shot model from the mid 2000s. Used in USPSA and PPC. Has never failed to extract, not once.

Quit bragging.... Razz

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You also have to take into account that the 2003-2007 vintage classic SIG pistols weren't the best quality wise. Those were the dark years where the problems were many, and the quality control was non-existent.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:

.40 S&W or 9mm? As I mentioned in my post, a few above, the .40 S&W models were far less prone to suffering FTEx problems.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE. Shot the gun ( P226 XFIVE COMPETITION 9MM). Zero issues, but seller told me that He did replace extractor with most recent one. So far 150 rounds down range . 147HST and 115 Atlanta Arms. Runs perfect. Accuracy is awesome. I did not bench it yet. Off hand at 25 yards 10 ring is normal, few shots in 9 ring ( my fault) and 150 rounds stayed in the black bullseye.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
When did the most recent extractor come out? If it is different than the one Sig sent me I may try one. Does it come from Sig? Thanks to anyone who may know. And congrats to MikeSm on your new gun, the X-Five is a great shooter.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
.40 S&W or 9mm? As I mentioned in my post, a few above, the .40 S&W models were far less prone to suffering FTEx problems.

9mm. I'm not very kind to it either. It gets force fed everything from WWB to Tula steel case.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See? All that worry for nuthin'... Wink

My X-Five Tactical has the old original extractor. Like you I read all about the complaints about that design, probably seven to eight years ago. Quite a few of those were posted here on this forum. One back then would've instantly thought that it was a absolute certainty that the old part would succumb to a premature demise.

During that time I seriously considered the GrayGuns extractor fix, but that X-Five just continued to work fine without any sign of heartache. Likely still does so today although truth be told, I've only probably put about 700-800 rounds through it since when I bought it used, and most of that in the first couple of years of ownership. Sad to say that it's more or less become a safe queen these days; haven't shot it in ages...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have an X-5 Competition from early 2000.
9mm never a hiccup.
Just laser beams round after round.

Did some uspsa matches and they let me shoot idpa matches with it (I don't think it fits in the box)

A go to gun with no issues to date. Maybe 5000-8000 rounds to date. 1 or 2 failures all relating to being filthy dirty.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
I have an X-5 Competition from early 2000.
9mm never a hiccup.
Just laser beams round after round...

German Xgun in "early 2000"? I don't think it existed, yet. You have the proof date code?

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Grayguns Inc. just started making our third run of GGI "Fix-it" EDM extractors. I first designed these about 12 years ago, specifically to correct the inherent issues with the X-5 / P220 Stainless internal extractors which plague a significant number of these pistols. The original is not located properly in relation to the breechface & cartridge pocket ect. I'm glad yours is running! When it finally craps out, remind me and I'll upgrade it as a favour.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce if you ever figure out a way to get it running !00%, with just the slide sent in, keep me in mind. Smile