SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Makarov design, what do you like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Makarov design, what do you like? Login/Join 
Picture of pointman73
posted
Is it the Russian, Bulgarian, East German? I am looking for one and would like input. I have a FEG PA-63 in 9x18, but want a real Makarov design pistol.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Aren’t they all identical for the most part? That was a very standardized design, I had a Russian commercial one like 10 years ago that shot really nice but they are very heavy for their size and capacity.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I like the sights on the Russian commercial versions myself (others find them a bit narrow), and the ones with fixed sights tend to sell at higher prices since Russian surplus was somehow not supposed to ever make it into the US.

Having said that, you can't possibly go wrong with a good Bulgarian (easily the most common option available today), and the Suhl East German pistols are reputedly the very best.

If you're branching out a bit in general, don't overlook the Polish P83 Wanad pistols.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
The blued finish on the East German model is very nice.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Never owned one but the East Germans I have seen always seemed particularly nice.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
How about the Polish Radom? I've seen them more avaliable somewhat locally, and was thinking of getting one sometime.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The East German Makarov has the best looks with the Bulgarian as a Close second. I have 1 East German and 3 Bulgarians. They are very sweet and accurate shooters. They are very simple pistols to maintain and take apart fully. E Germans are hard to get, not so the Bulgarian.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I concur that the East German Maks look the best, but the Bulgarian I picked up dirt cheap a couple of months ago is darn close. It appeared to have never been fired, and I suspect the seller thought it was defective. The firing pin channel was completely stuffed with cosmoline (or a like substance). The free floating firing pin was not moving at all.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
E German are going to be more refined.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
In addition to East Germany and Bulgaria, Russia also licensed the Chinese to produce the Makarov.
Bulgarian made are the most common in both military and commercial versions.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1536 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I once owned a gorgeous 1962 E. German Makarov. I believe they are the best of the lot - with fit and finish ordinarily on par with Walther PP/PPK's of the same vintage. A quick check of current prices confirms others agree.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got Makarovs from East Germany, Bulgaria, China and Russia (Soviet era). They are all FANTASTIC! Totally reliable pistols. You can't go wrong with any of them. The Soviet era and Chinese ones are going to be the most expensive. Bulgarians are the best value but they too have gone up in price within the last few years.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I had a Polish Radom P63. There's a web site out there that gives some good tips including replacing the hammer spring. While snappy it was accurate and the work I did was 100% improvement. All easy by the way.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the East German version...

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the OP desires info on the "best" Makarov.

The Poles made the P-64 and the P-83 (Wanad) in 9x18 mm. Neither of these is a Makarov.

Hungary made the PA-63 (aluminum framed Walther PP clone) in 9x18 mm. Again not a Makarov.

Supposedly, Makarovs have been made in six (6) countries -- the USSR, East Germany, Bulgaria,
China, Libya and Vietnam. I've never even seen a photo of a Libyan or Vietnamese mfgd. Makarov.

I do possess an as new Russian military Mak (complete rig) made in 1986. Have a Chinese PM (bought NIB);
an exe+ Bulgarian (rig) as well as a hand select EG Mak (rig).

Don't recall what I paid for the Chinese (200??). The EG was $125. The Russian $157 (from S.O.G.)
and the Bulgarian was $100. Yes, I've had these for several decades!

I can tell you this -- don't fret over which country's is "best". Find a clean example at a price you
can afford and purchase it. Never seen one that wasn't solid, reliable. well made pistol.

Good luck!!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
I once owned a gorgeous 1962 E. German Makarov. I believe they are the best of the lot - with fit and finish ordinarily on par with Walther PP/PPK's of the same vintage. A quick check of current prices confirms others agree.

I recall reading the East Germans had former Walther factories and gunsmiths making them which is why they are considered the best.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a commercial Russian Makarov with the adjustable rear sight. It has not been out of the safe since I acquired my CZ-82. All of my 9x18 Makarov ammo now feeds my CZ-82.

As stated before the East German are the nicest ones, however they are harder to find and cost much more. The Bulgarian ones are nice followed by the Russian Military.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 125 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
E German are going to be more refined.

I agree. I have a German, Bulgarian, commerical and military Russian, as well as Chinese. The East German seems the smoothest.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bulgaria

The one I have was made in Bulgaria. Good shooting pistol. Haven't seen any of the others so can't comment on those.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

I recall reading the East Germans had former Walther factories and gunsmiths making them which is why they are considered the best.

I have difficulties with the credibiliy of the red. Althoug the PP and the PM look alike the technical design is different.
The citis of Suhl and Zella Mehlis located various well known companies like Walther, J.P Sauer, Haenel and Krieghoff and all these companies had either been destroyd or disassembled and moved to the USSR between 45 ang 49. Ther was no Walther know how anymore in the early 50s when PM production start in East Germany and I really doubth they took over know how fom forced labour camps like Grottau or Neugamme a decade after the end of the war to produce pristine quality made in Germany.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post