SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need advice on switching over from Romeo 1 to Romeo 1 Pro or better, RMR on P226 Rx slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on switching over from Romeo 1 to Romeo 1 Pro or better, RMR on P226 Rx slide Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I have a 226 Rx slide from Sig with a Romeo 1 on it. Since the Pro version seems more robust (I'm open to discussion on this, but Aaron at Sage Dynamics thought the 1 was crap); and since the mounting screws seem to be different (larger screws on the Pro), how would I switch over? Just drill and tap for larger screws? New mounting plate?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Mark at L&M precision does this. I see it listed, though I have not had it done so there may be some subtle issues (there always are on these optic mounts). But what he also does and what I suggest you should do is go to an RMR and that conversion I know is available and works.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The RMR is well known for its durability; I don’t find what I need on the Springer Precision website. Specific recommendation for another source? Thanks

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Doc, I got my slide and optic the same time you did...when they were clearing out their supply of the Romeo 1. Mine has been working, but I've seen enough fail (4) that I decided to change mine out before it took a dump during a match.

I decided to go with a Holosun because I like the reticle better...easier for my eye to pick up. It has the same mounting footprint as the RMR.

I'm having my slide machined at a local shop for the Holosun. I prefer the lower mounting and it allows me to continue to use the sights already on the slide

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t find what I need on the Springer Precision website

you don't have a plate system, you need a milling job and L&M Precision is your best source.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
General Tang,
I watched and rewatched Aaron Cowan’s videos, read his white paper, and decided to go with Holosun, especially the new titanium model, the 508T (now the X2 version). Unfortunately no one seems to have it in stock. I’ve backordered it from Midway USA. Hope it arrives in time for Bruce’s class in April.

posted Hide Post
Not sure what the general tang reference is (did I miss something I'm slow). And I always make the point that holosun is chinese sourced versus US of the RMR. But in any case I think the 508T is RMR footprint so you still have to deal with your slide.
Anyway good luck.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
9mm epiphany was an instructor in the first (and multiple other) classes I took from Bruce Gray, who humorously referred to him as General Tang.

hrcjon, I got off topic on the RDS because I am now looking at a Holosun for my wife's revolver, as she and I are looking. at taking another class from Bruce Gray, and I think she would like having an RDS. Yes I would still need to get my slide done, and think I will send my original (non-Rx) 226 slide to someone like Springer Precision to have the slide milled, but will use the existing Romeo 1 on my 226 with Rx slide for the class.

Sorry for the confusion; you have been only helpful and I was going off track.

posted Hide Post
sjtill,

I have an ongoing sale thread in the classifieds. If you are looking for Holosun, please reach out to me. I have not seen the 508T X2 available yet, but if they show up before Midway can deliver, I will take care of you (beyond normal SF member appreciation) as a thanks for helping Mike get well.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, DaBigBR. E-mail incoming.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
I decided to go with a Holosun because I like the reticle better...easier for my eye to pick up. It has the same mounting footprint as the RMR.

I thought Sig contracted with Holosun as the supplier for their red dot sights.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

That is my understanding also,however....if you look closer, it often looks like the SIG offerings are a generation older. Maybe it just looks like that because they don't offer the same reticles and colors choices

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is my understanding also,however....if you look closer, it often looks like the SIG offerings are a generation older. Maybe it just looks like that because they don't offer the same reticles and colors choices

Makes sense.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure somewhere in china a factory churns out optical sights as they do lots of other things. And every one of them is to a specific spec by the buyer. The idea that holosun is the 'supplier' to sig is not confirmed in any source I have seen. But in any case does it matter in any possible way? Sig sells it to you, warranties it, and specifies its actual characteristics, good or bad (mostly bad since they are trying to hit a price point).

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm sure somewhere in china a factory churns out optical sights as they do lots of other things. And every one of them is to a specific spec by the buyer. The idea that holosun is the 'supplier' to sig is not confirmed in any source I have seen. But in any case does it matter in any possible way? Sig sells it to you, warranties it, and specifies its actual characteristics, good or bad (mostly bad since they are trying to hit a price point).

Many people don't have the budget to spend what they paid for the gun on a RDS. This is especially true if you're buying used guns as something like a Trijicon can easiy be 2x what you spent on that used Ruger MKIII. The single most asked question I see on line besides 'what ammo is the best' is 'what mid range RDS should I get'. If Holosun makes the Romeo for Sig, this gives it some street cred in terms of reliability. I'm assuming Sig wouldn't rebrand a POS.

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
The idea that holosun is the 'supplier' to sig is not confirmed in any source I have seen.

Here you go: https://gungoal.com/optics/red.../sig-romeo-5-review/

As a matter of fact, they make most of the quality red dot sights in the $200-300 range.

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Holosun makes the Romeo for Sig, this gives it some street cred in terms of reliability. I'm assuming Sig wouldn't rebrand a POS.

Funny, my first thought when finding out their relationship was that the SIG red dots gained street creed by being manufactured by Holosun

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny, my first thought when finding out their relationship was that the SIG red dots gained street creed by being manufactured by Holosun

That's my thought exactly, after watching the comparative reviews by Aaron on Sage Dynamics. The Romeo 1 was a total loser (lens broke on first drop), the Holosun one tough cookie.

I'm also seeing that Holosun quickly comes up with improved mid-model changes and expands their niches of the market, in the manner of a start-up very in tune with its market.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The idea that holosun is the 'supplier' to sig is not confirmed in any source I have seen.

Here you go: https://gungoal.com/optics/red.../sig-romeo-5-review/

As a matter of fact, they make most of the quality red dot sights in the $200-300 range.

The Romeo 5 and the pistol optics are different animals. You can look at the Romeo 5 and see how it translates to the Holosun 403B. You cannot look at a Romeo 1 and see how it is the same underneath as a 407/507/etc.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That in fact it is just the opposite and makes my exact point. There are a certain number of chinese factories. they will build what you want with the specs you want and the price you want. In my experience the only optic I have seen consistently fail at our pistol events is the Romeo1 and it is all the time. I would never trust one. fwiw.