SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Walther PPK question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther PPK question Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
So I have not cleaned or shot this thing in years but every once and a while I will slap in a magazine and rack the slide and stick it in my pocket.... did that last week and then did not check to see if a round was chambered... got home and dropped the magazine and went to eject the chambered round.... no round chambered.... seems it will not chamber a round.... not even standard ball ammo.... I guess I will figure out how to take this critter apart and clean and lube but does anybody have an idea of what is going on... does not matter about the magazine... I've tried several. Have never had this happen on any of my other semi-autos.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
From what you have described, a good cleaning would be the first step, also give the magazines a good cleaning.

I don't know how much you know about the PPK so it's hard to know where to start as far as taking it apart. If you know how to take the slide off then that is about all you might need to do to give it a good cleaning.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think I have a manual some where... could not figure out how to get the slide off last night...
looks like I'll have to read the instructions.

the ppk is one of my least favorite pistols in my collection but it does slip in a pocket with a holster well.....

Just looked... no manual time for a google search.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
A stainless Interarms import PPK was my first handgun purchase and was my off duty/backup gun for a number of years.

In my experience, to properly load the pistol you need to vigorously rack the slide. Any hint of riding the slide forward will result in a round not chambering.

Removing the slide is not that difficult once you learn the trick. You need to pull down on the trigger guard and hold it down with your index finger of one hand. With the other hand, pull the slide fully to the rear. Once it is fully to the rear, lift the rear of the slide away from the frame. Once it is clear, you can push it forward and off the barrel.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Or ... do what I do when I forget how to remove a slide ... "Youtube" it!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Another trick for removing the slide is to pull down on the front of the trigger guard and place a credit card or something similar between the the trigger guard and the frame and then do like tk13 described. Make sure the gun is unloaded first!

If your PPK has been sitting unused for a long time the old lube has probably dried and a good cleaning should resolve your feeding issues.

What caliber is your PPK?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old PPK/S but it has a very visible loaded chamber indicator pin the sticks out towards the hammer. Once you fix it I would check this, unless PPK’s don’t have it.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
This is an Interarms Stainless PPK.... and it has the loaded chamber pin on the back...

Thanks for the help.. I got the slid off and have to say I have not seen a gun that dirty since some guys ran wolf ammo through my mini-30... and I guess that is all on me.... I soaked the heck out of it with foaming CLP and then whipped it down and sprayed it all again and etc.... seems to chamber a round fine now... One of the magazines looks pretty dirty too.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
Removing the slide is not that difficult once you learn the trick. You need to pull down on the trigger guard and hold it down with your index finger of one hand.

+1. It's actually a pretty cool feature which eliminates the need for a separate disassembly lever. Walther recommends after pulling the front of the trigger guard free of the receiver, pressing it slightly sideways (either right or left) and allowing the front of the guard to rest upon the bottom of the receiver. Light pressure with an extended index finger will keep the trigger guard from springing back into the closed position.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Is the rubber grip thing NOT allowing the magazines to seat fully? I've seen that occasionally with those things.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Nope, like I said... I got the slide off and soaked everything in some foaming CLP and then cleaned and scrubbed and then repeated...and now a round chambers easily... will take it to the range next week and see if it works.... have not shot it in years but it always did before.... but what every ammo I used years ago sure was dirty.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have an old PPK/S but it has a very visible loaded chamber indicator pin the sticks out towards the hammer. Once you fix it I would check this, unless PPK’s don’t have it.

The PPK/S LCI is excellent – the only LCI that I actually like. Visible to you, but not the BG. And, in the dark, you can feel it with your thumb without shifting your grip.

My CA SIG P238 has a “shark fin” LCI, which I hate.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And old field strip trick is to pull down the trigger guard and place a pencil in between the guard and the frame so you don’t need to use your finger to hold it open. Use caution with field strip, I’ve lost some meat off my finger more often with that pistol than any other I’ve ever owned...

Posts: 36 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NautclRltr
posted Hide Post
I have not been around the forum lately and I am surprised and gratified to see continuing interest in the Walther PPK/S. Some of us love this pistol (& I do) with its 1930s technology and baked enameled friction plate to accomplish double action – looks like an enameled tin cup surface if you have ever been inside. I did some feed ramp polishing when I received mine and it has not had feeding issues with ball or hollow point ammo of standard pressures. They have a snappy blow-back action to begin with. When I was younger, I did experiment with Double Tap and it only took three rounds to find out they would cause a feeding issue. One or two rounds might feed OK but as the magazine spring tension got progressively less, the top round in the mag would be shocked into a more forward position in the mag and the round would hang-feed. Also, the blow-back shock was too powerful with the recoil spring being specified for standard pressures. Used as designed it has been reliable. Love the LCI! Enjoy!

“-a concealed handgun and an unconcealed fire extinguisher - they can make all the difference.”

Posts: 89 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't sound like a gun you should be carrying IMHO.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I probably mentioned it but the only reason I got the Walther out was I watched a Hicock 45 video on pocket carry and he changed my opinion on this 180 degrees....

In a questionable situation you can just have you hand in your pocket on the pistol and not look threatening at all.... I'd still rather have a Sig P239 or P226, preferably in 357 sig, on my side but sometimes that just won't work.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I probably mentioned it but the only reason I got the Walther out was I watched a Hicock 45 video on pocket carry and he changed my opinion on this 180 degrees....

In a questionable situation you can just have you hand in your pocket on the pistol and not look threatening at all.... I'd still rather have a Sig P239 or P226, preferably in 357 sig, on my side but sometimes that just won't work.

That rationale makes sense. I was more commenting on the fact that it appears (to me at least) that you put a non-functioning (dirty) gun in your pocket that you don't have any practice/range time with.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, you are right and it was a mistake.... for sure.

I took the Walther to my gun club today and put about 20 rounds or more through it and it functioned flawlessly. At about 15 feet I was shooting 5" Groups with hardly aiming.

I'll clean and lube it and feel comfortable carrying it now.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Yep, you are right and it was a mistake.... for sure.

I took the Walther to my gun club today and put about 20 rounds or more through it and it functioned flawlessly. At about 15 feet I was shooting 5" Groups with hardly aiming.

I'll clean and lube it and feel comfortable carrying it now.

I'm glad its working for you now. I've always loved the looks of that classic pistol. I guess that ages me. :-)

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
One of my 'poor' jokes is Sean Connery must have small hands because the Walther looks a lot bigger in those movies ....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"