SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W model 17. Update. New grips installed pictures of 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 17. Update. New grips installed pictures of 4 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
When you open the cylinder, the serial number should be located on the frame underneath the crane. Above that is the model number it should be 17-X with X being the revision number. Unless it's really old, there should be 3 letters at the beginning of the serial number. $375 is a steal unless it's really beat up.

My 17 and 617 below.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
When you open the cylinder, the serial number should be located on the frame underneath the crane. Above that is the model number it should be 17-X with X being the revision number. Unless it's really old, there should be 3 letters at the beginning of the serial number. $375 is a steal unless it's really beat up.

My 17 and 617 below.

Sharp looking revolvers

Yes, covered that earlier, the numbers on the frame and crane match but are not serial or model numbers per Captain127 post and confirmed over on S&W Forums, they are assembly numbers.

There is a number on the cylinder I"m going by later after work and checking it out if it's still there.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
There is a number on the cylinder I"m going by later after work and checking it out if it's still there.

The number on the cylinder won't help. This shows the location of the model and serial number.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/s...el-329-safety-recall

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
2000Z-71, Is that a 17 or a 517? It has the under barrel lug. Both of my 17's are under lug free. Just curious.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2000Z-71's guns appear to be (top) a 17-6, and (bottom) a 617 (-4 or -5 I think).
The 17-6s, -7s and -8s were made with full underlug barrels. Fairly low production numbers from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s, and while not really "rare" they are incredibly scarce.
I'm still looking for a 4 inch.Big Grin

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Top is a 17-6, bottom is a 617-4. The 617 is a recent acquisition, it's a grail gun for me. I've been looking off and on for 15 years for a 617 with the steel 10 shot cylinder, 4" barrel and no lock. The 17 was a consolation prize that I stumbled across a number of years ago while looking for the 617.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

My 17 and 617 below.

Sharp looking revolvers

Yes, covered that earlier, the numbers on the frame and crane match but are not serial or model numbers per Captain127 post and confirmed over on S&W Forums, they are assembly numbers.

If there is a serial number on the back of the cylinder, then it is an older gun(pre 1960ish).
If the cylinder has a serial, then the underside of the barrel(where the ejector rod covers), as well as the ejector star itself (under the star, difficult to see), will be serialed. A early M-17(it could be a "no dash". i.e. just marked "M-17")in good shape would be a steal at $375.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the under lug. Both of mine are 17-3 versions (had to go look for sure). Both have the 3 T's (target trigger, target hammer, target sights). One is NIB.

HRK, did you go back and pick it up yet?

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
not yet, yesterday being a holiday and family stuff encroached on my time, hoping to get up there today to look.

Still not sure if I'm going to buy it, or if it's still there since I've dropped some good coin on two new CZ's this month and re-upped my range membership,

While it's a nice gun and interesting I'm still considering, since I'll be buying a Glock 48 as soon as it hits the cabinet here...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Dude, Glocks are a dime a dozen. Smith & Wesson Model 17's in good shape don't come around that often. You'll be able to get a Glock 48 next week, next month, next year. A Smith 17, especially at that price, probably not.

posted Hide Post
The 6" K frames balance the best without the full underlug...…. for sure...….I also once owned a 8 3/8" full underlug 617 and it was VERY nose heavy.

I agree, wait on the glock and snap up the model 17 while you can. You won't see another one for years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's about half price for a Model 17 in decent shape. I wouldn't wait too long if you actually want to buy it.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still not sure if I'm going to buy it

I'm amazed it's still there at that price. If anything, buy it and double your money.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sn is k 236xxx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

posted Hide Post
K236xxx is from 1955. Get off the internet and go buy that thing right now!

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The gun has been re blued. There is some light piting on the one side plate it has also had the hammer and trigger replaced with later model 17 parts. They also polished away the factory look of the trigger and hammer.

The cylinder has a few marks from dry fire but not much. So it’s more of a shooter it’s not collector grade but it’s nice. Just not original

Probl

posted Hide Post
That hammer certainly isn't a "later" part!

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it's possible it's a reblue, it certainly doesn't look like it has been reblued. The lettering looks too deep.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Buy it, put some wood grips on it and shoot the piss out of it.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I paid $375 for mine in 2000.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post