SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W model 17. Update. New grips installed pictures of 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 17. Update. New grips installed pictures of 4 Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Found a very nice model 17 in a used gun case. A real nice trigger and blue is in like new shape, rubber grips, I can get it for $375 but didn’t buy it last night. Tell my about them, it has a great trigger looks good, not sure if that’s a fair price since you don’t see them often I’ve nothing to base it on. Debating if I should go back and grab it to go with my 29 and 686

Decisions-decisions

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What dash number and barrel length? Any P&R S&W in decent shape would be a great deal at $375

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would say 6 inch barrel not sure on the dash I forgot to check

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume no lock? Pinned barrel?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No lock. I didn’t look close enough guess I need to get some more info

posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's time to head over for another look with $375 in your pocket.

posted Hide Post
If you return to look at it, check the back of the cylinder and look for evidence of dry firing. Divots from the firing pin hitting the back of the cylinder is a sure sign of dry firing.

This is why you don't dryfire a rimfire gun:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thats what I’m afraid of Big Grin

posted Hide Post
It's hard to imagine any Model 17 in good mechanical condition and a decent finish, no matter what the dash # at $375 not being a good deal. I have a pre model from 1957. The K 22 has been in production since 1931 to 1999 with the exception of a break for WW2. The heritage and Classic series came out in 2002 and 2009.
If it has a full lug barrel it is post 1990.
Diamond center grips its pre 1966. Pinned barrel pre 1983. The dash number would help. But again its a bargain as long as the finish and mechanics are good. Even a nice refinish would make $375 a good deal. The Standard catalog of S&W 4th edition has a Fair condition model 17 at $325. Good at 500 and very Good at 700. ANIB at $900. These are of course rough numbers.... but also 3 years old.

Disregard Of course if it's been dry fired like the picture shows..
Although that could still be a decent price with a cylinder replacement depending on a lot of other factors.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 17-3. I bought it new in 1974. 6" Blue, Target Hammer, Trigger, and Grips. I have no idea how many rounds I have put thru it. I also have an 8&3/8s" Model 17 and a Model 18. I think a K-22 is a basic revolver that everyone should have. My 6" K-22 goes with me to the range just about every time I go. I always let anyone that wants to shoot it. Everyone that shoots it likes it. It is a great gun for training new shooters. I would buy it at that price unless I found a serious problem. If I found a serious problem, I would call S&W to find out if they could fix and get a rough idea what it would cost. That is a very desirable gun.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
What are you waiting for? That’s a very good price for any 17. I have two of them. One is NIB no dash and a beater that I shoot.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent price and they're 6" barrel. I bought one and used it for a little bit and learned I didn't like a .22 revolver (preferred my Browning buckmark). And, I both bought it for around $600 and sold it to a member her for around $600 about 5 years ago. It was in 96-98% condition with factory target grips, hammer etc. no box or papers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Damaged rimfire chambers can be fixed pretty easily with a chamber iron. I’ve had to do it a couple of times on rimfires purchased secondhand.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Checked it out again today, the SN appears to be 80900, there is an A above the SN and a 7 below it centered on the frame, the crane has the same 80900, the cylinder has a different number than the SN and show no dry fire marks.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I paid $750 on a Mod. 17-6. As long as its pre-lock and no pitting or rust, its a steal at half that price

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I paid $750 on a Mod. 17-6. As long as its pre-lock and no pitting or rust, its a steal at half that price

This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Checked it out again today, the SN appears to be 80900, there is an A above the SN and a 7 below it centered on the frame, the crane has the same 80900, the cylinder has a different number than the SN and show no dry fire marks.

Either buy it or tell us where it is so one of us can get it. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You need to quit screwing around and buy that

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As is typical with these you are probably incorrect on the serial number which is on the bottom of the butt likely covered by the grips. You are quoting an assembly number which has no relationship to the serial number. Except on very early pre ww 2 22’s the serial number will start with k ( often separate from the rest of the number with space, and later the k would be in the middle of the serial number starting in the 1970’s example early gun k 56789 later 2k12357

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thanks I’ll be going up tomorrow I believe the number on the cylinder is the serial number, the butt is covered by the rubber grips so I can’t see it there