SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me what stands out about the Sig 2022
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me what stands out about the Sig 2022 Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
I’ve picked up a pretty low mileage 2022 in a lot of guns I bought. I know little to nothing about the model.

A quick google and brief inspection tells me it’s a DA/SA Sig in 9mm with 15 round mags. How did this fit into Sig’s lineup? I’ve not read much about here so I’m guessing it probably doesn’t have a huge following.

Accurate? Any known model issues? Anything else you can tell me?

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
They are sleepers but have a large fan base here.

They were Sig’s only entry into the polymer market at the time and they sold a bunch under contract in foreign markets but kept a lower profile at the civilian level.

They usually sell at a great price. I bought one one sale for under $300 at one point. They are easily the best gun available at their price point I believe and make great truck guns and the like.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are a great value for starters. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Sig still makes them and parts can still be found. Grip pieces can be difficult to find at times,depending on which model you have. Mags can be found in a lot of places and prices are not bad. I was surprised at how smooth the trigger pull was.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Great points. Noticed the pic rail...need to see if a TLR will fit on it.

Kinda like a 226/229 slide married to a polymer frame? It does have a spare grip insert and it seems to be a unique approach to that problem.

I guess I need to try it out at the range. I’m pretty settled on Glock 19s and don’t really want to add another magazine to hoard. But, if it shoots nice...

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Noticed the pic rail...need to see if a TLR will fit on it.

It will.

quote:
Kinda like a 226/229 slide married to a polymer frame?

Basically.

In addition, due to the design of the trigger mechanism, they tend to have a better/smoother trigger pull than the average P-series.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Accuracy. It is the thing that stands out the most.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Accuracy. It is the thing that stands out the most.

Exactly. Very impressed with mine. In fact it’s in my briefcase EDC.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
It's a terrific pistol and there have been many threads praising how well and reliable it shoots. It was Bruce Gray's EDC for many years and he posted a number of times about how much he liked it. He may still carry it, but with all the work he does with the P320 these days, he may have switched.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They are outstanding guns. Good trigger, very accurate, soft shooting and absolutely reliable.

They are also the standard side arm of the French National Police.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Great to hear!

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I think you would be hard pressed to find a better trigger and more accurate gun under $350.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
What stands out the most is the slide rails. I doubt you could tell a sig pro with 50 rounds down the pipe vs 5000. Partial to the German framed versions. They are superb pistols for around $400 +/-.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only gun I've purchased twice was a SP2022 in 9mm. Had one, loved it, went to metal SIGs so I sold it, then missed the incredible DA trigger pull so I purchased another one years later.

Kept the second one until earlier this year when I started shuffling around pistols again. In many respects, as much as my P365 and P320 Carry are easier for me to shoot more accurately than the SP2022, there is something subliminal that keeps telling me the SP2022 is my favorite SIG ever.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under its original name (SP2009/SP2340) it was SIG's first polymer-framed pistol.

It was renamed the SP2022 (based on a projected 20-year service life) when it was adopted in 2002 by the French police in what was the largest single pistol purchase contract since WWII.

It has probably been in production longer than any other polymer-framed, hammer-fired DA/SA pistol.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigs best kept secret. My two tone has an excellent trigger. I keep hoping for a single stack version.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Everything, it's fucking awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have a SP2009, which uses the same upper as the 2022 and has a moderately different frame.

Pros about the SP2022:
+ Without getting into splitting hairs discussion, it shoots like a P226/228/229. That's a good thing for fans of the P-Classic series.

+ It costs about 50-60% of a P-Classic in comparable condition, which makes the SigPro a tremendous value. I often see lightly used ones priced in the mid-$300 range.

+ It's been in service for almost 20 years. The design has been proven durable & reliable.

Cons:
- Most common complaint I hear is the grip being too big. Only you can say for yourself.

- Despite the polymer frame, it is not much lighter than a P-Classic.

- Magazines are a little hard to find at good prices.

- It was designed as a LE/Mil OWB duty sidearm, so it's not so great for discreet carry.

- Doesn't have that good of trade/resale value. Demand is considerably lower than average.

- Not a lot of aftermarket options if you're into that.

There are some design features that Sig did to the SigPro that I think they did just for the sake of differentiating them from the Classic series. E.g., if you have a MGW Sight Pusher for Sig, it won't work on SigPros.

Sig could have very easily designed the SigPro to use the same mags as the P226 but designed a new, unique mag instead. I bet they would have sold a lot more if the mags were interchangable.

I hardly shoot my SP2009, but whenever I think about putting it up for sale/trade, I think, "How often do I find a gun that shoots this nicely for ~$350?"
Might as well keep it as a backup or figurative truck gun.

There's not much in the way of polymer frame hammer-fired pistols to begin with. HK does well w/ theirs, but beyond them are mostly CZ 75 clones. I have a CZ P-07. I prefer the size & weight of the P-07, but IMHO, the SigPro has a much better trigger.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I scoffed at the SigPro for a long time. SIG’s answer to the Glock and still a DA/SA. Bah!

Well, although the P320 is what the SigPro should have been, the SP2022 is a damned fine pistol. Wish I hadn’t written it off for so long.

I picked one up just because they were selling for $350. Though I’ve never seen them sub $350, much less under 3 as someone earlier alluded to. I guess I get the “P226 on a polymer frame” thing but it’s an over simplification. I don’t think there’s a single part that’s cross compatible. Maybe the trigger. And I mean the trigger, not the trigger assembly. What many often refer to (incorrectly) as the trigger shoe. But the action of the trigger assembly, although DA/SA like the classic SIGs, and a fine trigger in its own right, it is not the same or as good as many classics. I find the trigger has more travel than I prefer, so the shot breaks pretty far back. And it’s not compatible with SRT kits, so you can’t shorten up the reset easily.

I actually prefer larger grips, which the SP2022 doesn’t come with. Large panels exist, but may be difficult to find these days.

It may sound like I’m bashing a bit, but don’t take it that way. It’s just a realistic evaluation of it. The fact is, it’s a terrific pistol for the price.

Straight out of the box:

With the large grips:

And most importantly, as others have said, the accuracy. My first 15 rounds though it, including the initial DA:

It just really easy to shoot. As long as you’re a good enough shooter to handle DA/SA, buy with confidence.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Had no idea this gun had this sort of following!

I’m not thrilled with the mag costs or apparent lack of holsters. I hate to say it but, looking back, it appears Sig does this from time to time. Put something out that may be great and then not support it properly. 556 rifles, etc.

I’m going to hit the range with it and go from there.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Had no idea this gun had this sort of following!

I’m not thrilled with the mag costs or apparent lack of holsters. I hate to say it but, looking back, it appears Sig does this from time to time. Put something out that may be great and then not support it properly. 556 rifles, etc.

I’m going to hit the range with it and go from there.

You're going to love it. Great very predictable with a clean break though it comes after a good amount of take up. You can get good at staging it and loose some of that slack in order get right to that nice break with very little practice.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post