SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me what stands out about the Sig 2022
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me what stands out about the Sig 2022 Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, out of curiosity, what SHOULD SIG have done to market the gun to your satisfaction?

Bear in mind though, less than 20 percent of people will follow through on any “good idea” or innovation that usually goes with “they’ll sell a million of ‘em”.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, out of curiosity, what SHOULD SIG have done to market the gun to your satisfaction?

I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'll reiterate:

1. Should have designed SigPros to be intercompatible w/ P226 mags.

2. They were on the right track w/ interchangeable grip inserts, but they came w/ sizes Big and Bigger. 'Grip too big,' is the most common complaint I hear about SigPros. Should have used smaller grip to begin with.

3. Would have been more popular commercially if it was the size of a P229, or offered in true full-size and compact sizes. It only took about 25 yrs for the rest of the gun industry to catch on, but the G19 is the benchmark for dimensions for a compact pistol. Now everyone who wants to be competitive offers something that size. I have a CZ P-07, but I would prefer a SP2022 in that size.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would have done better if it had been the “SPC” version like they offer in Europe. Also, a more subcompact, and lastly offer an SRT.

I can’t find the old post that commented on the designer of the Sigpro series, but I believe there was to be a full size, compact, and sub as initially planned.

There is room for a smaller DA/SA thin gun for many. Look at the recent interest in the new Langdon “XDE” You would think Beretta, CZ, HK, or SIG would exploit that niche.

Hope Phil Strader would weigh in this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sox,

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The price has fluctuated a lot, some great deals on the 2022 have been had in the past, its a solid gun.

That said, better options abound for a polymer gun. Why Sig hasn't discontinued it, I do not know.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

2. They were on the right track w/ interchangeable grip inserts, but they came w/ sizes Big and Bigger. 'Grip too big,' is the most common complaint I hear about SigPros. Should have used smaller grip to begin with.

3. Would have been more popular commercially if it was the size of a P229, or offered in true full-size and compact sizes. It only took about 25 yrs for the rest of the gun industry to catch on, but the G19 is the benchmark for dimensions for a compact pistol. Now everyone who wants to be competitive offers something that size. I have a CZ P-07, but I would prefer a SP2022 in that size.

The lack of P226 magazine compatibility is why I'm not willing to get one.

Posts: 24 | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have 225, 226, 228, 229, 230 as well as 2022 mags none of them are interchangeable, can use the 226s in a 228 in a pinch I guess.
So I'm pretty used to SIG having gun specific mags. Which SIGs do you have that have interoperable mags?

My 5'3" petite Asian wife can shoot her 2022 with no problems, I think she even uses the larger backstrap.

Personally I like full sized guns. Width would be the problem, the 2022 trigger mechanism would be limiting factor. Shortening barrel or reducing rounds would still leave a fat gun

The only complaint I can come up with is the weight, awfully heavy for a polymer frame.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

I have 225, 226, 228, 229, 230 as well as 2022 mags none of them are interchangeable, can use the 226s in a 228 in a pinch I guess.
So I'm pretty used to SIG having gun specific mags. Which SIGs do you have that have interoperable mags?

My 5'3" petite Asian wife can shoot her 2022 with no problems, I think she even uses the larger backstrap.

Personally I like full sized guns. Width would be the problem, the 2022 trigger mechanism would be limiting factor. Shortening barrel or reducing rounds would still leave a fat gun

The only complaint I can come up with is the weight, awfully heavy for a polymer frame.

1. The 226 & 229 are Sig's flagship guns. It may gradually be changing to the 320 platform, but Sig's repuation was built on the 226, 228, & 229 (& 220 to a lesser extent). There are a lot of SF members like yourself who own one or more of those three models and appreciate being able to use 226 mags in any of them. Besides those P-Classics:

• The P232 shares 230 mags.
  • The P245 in 45ACP accepts 220 mags.
  • For the most part P250 mags work in 320s.
  • If you file the endcap a bit, a P290 mag will work in a P938.
  • Some similar modification to a P225-A1 mag will allow it to work in a P239.

2. Your wife's preference is a minority opinion. Also, there's a difference between 'can shoot w/ no problem' vs 'would prefer to shoot with...'
A lot of people also complained about the 226 & 229's double-stack grip being too wide, which is largely why Sig released the E2 grip.

3. If there's nothing that can be done about the 2022 being fat, then that partly explains why it hasn't been a strong seller. Commercially, thin has been 'in' for the past several years. The 1911 is an ancient design, but one of the reasons it endures as a CCW is that even the full-size model is thin.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
The Army just bought 5000 of the 2022's for their Foreign Military Sales program. I believe the G19 used to be their go-to pistol for that program.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:2. Your wife's preference is a minority opinion.

I have never heard anyone complain about the grip being too large or uncomfortable. Ever.

Something in the range of 25 people - mostly women with smaller hands - have shot my 2022 with the medium grip panel and not one person has complained.

So you saying that's a minority opinion is contrary to my own experience and contrary to the feedback I have received on mine.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:2. Your wife's preference is a minority opinion.

I have never heard anyone complain about the grip being too large or uncomfortable. Ever.

Something in the range of 25 people - mostly women with smaller hands - have shot my 2022 with the medium grip panel and not one person has complained.

So you saying that's a minority opinion is contrary to my own experience and contrary to the feedback I have received on mine.

We are both going off anecdotal data and are sample sizes of one. My conclusion is no more valid than yours.

As I mentioned before though, the industry has trended towards offering thinner grip panels, thinner backstrap options, and single-stack variants. We can speculate whether the manufacturers are putting out solutions in need of a problem, or if they are responding to market demand.

Objectively, the 2022 has a big grip compared to other guns in its class. Subjectively, it may or may not feel comfortable to its end-users.

posted Hide Post
Ozark Holster Co. makes excellent holster line for this pistol. As a matter of fact he specializes in Sig Pistols. His hybrid horsehide holster is superior to other brands, IMHO. He also has different holster mold for 40SW models, which is unusual as most makers only make a single size even though Sig beefs up size on 40SW models. https://ozarksholstercompany.com/our-holsters/

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you have purchased a 9mm, your task for finding a holster is little easier. Winthrop Holsters makes an excellent line of traditional holsters using premium Herman Oak leather. The same leather used by top of line makers like Milt Sparks. All of the holsters I have ordered from them have been expertly made. They are always having sales on holidays and the last holiday, I picked up an excellent OWB Pancake for a new pistol for $39.95 and they pay shipping too!!
https://www.winthropholsters.c...-waistband-holsters/

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito ergo sum
Picture of trover
posted Hide Post
Cheaper version of the P229. My first Sig. I now have eleven Sigs.

Posts: 3471 | Location: Where It's Hot & Humid | Registered: April 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2022 is a great bargain. Crisp trigger though it does have quite a bit of take up. Accuracy is very good. Reliability is top notch. Nothing really not to like.

I do recommend changing out the plastic main spring rod and going with SS. There used to be a guy selling them here.

The one thing it could use is a SRT kit.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I had a SIG SP2022 but the first 3 FFLs I talked to really badmouthed them. I did not hear anything positive about the guns until I found SF.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine! They threw in a laser at the sale, all for $399 several years ago.
I did replace the guide rod with a metal one and also replaced the trigger with Galloway’s Hannibal adjustable trigger kit. This takes some of the pre-travel out of the DA/SA.
Absolutely reliable and accurate gun. For me, it’s just a tad big for CCW but if I lived in an open carry state and wanted to open carry.....2022 all day long Big Grin

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
sjames, did you shoot it yet?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
sjames, did you shoot it yet?

No sir, I've yet to get it to the range.

I've hit the range for some more pressing things but haven't even had the chance to detail strip the 2022, which I like to do before a range trip, especially with a used gun.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post