SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    ROBAR (CTI) NP3 info thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ROBAR (CTI) NP3 info thread Login/Join 
Picture of billinaz
posted
I've finished all my guns with Robar (CTI) NP3 since the 90s.

I think Robbie has a wing of the building dedicated to me.

It was convenient for me to just drop the gun off and pick it up all done.

Firearm finishing is a fraction of CTIs business, but luckily Robbie Barkmann kept it available.

Years ago Robbie sold the gunsmith shop in the North end of the building to Freddie Blish. That's where you dropped off your gun.

They also had a guy named Henry Heng doing the polymer frame work like the Glock grip reductions.

They would disassemble it, give it to CTI for the finish specified and then put it back together for you.

Ultimately Freddie didn't keep the ROBAR gunsmith side open.

So now CTI has several gunsmiths (on their NP3 page) who do the work ROBAR was doing and sending the parts for finishing.

Henry is still doing the polymer work at his company Robar Customs LLC.

The finishing process isn't fast. 4 months is a good average.

I have parts for a Glock 43X there now, I sent them to Vang Comp who then sent them to CTI. (Coating technologies inc).

I just sent my P220 in a million pieces to them. I had the slide milled by Mark at L&M. Now comes the painful wait.

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I was under the impression they closed up their doors for good. I've had a handful of my stock NP3'd over the years.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I knew there was a lot of shuffling around out there but it is interesting to get the details.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been making hand made putters for the past several years and have used CTI for most of that time, for the NP3. When I heard that operations had closed for some of the companies associated with them, I was worried. But, a phone call or two and I was back up to speed and the next batch of putter heads that went in for NP3 had a handful of Beretta 92 magazine bodies with them. NP3 is an amazing coating and beautiful, as a bonus. I have only been back in the shooting world for a couple of years, but am loving it and having the connection with NP3 is going to be a positive.
Would love to see pix of any work that you guys have had done in the NP3.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I was under the impression they closed up their doors for good. I've had a handful of my stock NP3'd over the years.

I have had several people say that to me... so I thought maybe if we got the word out it was still going strong.....

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MannKrafted:
I've been making hand made putters for the past several years and have used CTI for most of that time, for the NP3. When I heard that operations had closed for some of the companies associated with them, I was worried. But, a phone call or two and I was back up to speed and the next batch of putter heads that went in for NP3 had a handful of Beretta 92 magazine bodies with them. NP3 is an amazing coating and beautiful, as a bonus. I have only been back in the shooting world for a couple of years, but am loving it and having the connection with NP3 is going to be a positive.
Would love to see pix of any work that you guys have had done in the NP3.
LaMont in AZ

Just a few of my NP3 projects...

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I may be in trouble. Knowing the extent of the use of NP3 may morph into a whole new addiction for me, Wink .
Thanks!
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
It's an addiction for sure.

I first met Robbie Barkmann in an indoor gun range in Bellevue, WA while he was giving a demo of a SD shotgun he built. He also had some firearms in NP3. I was hooked and sent many to him over 30+ years. I finally moved to AZ in 2001 and live 12 miles from his (former) shop.
He really liked the Mini UZI SMG with bayou & suppressor that got the finish.
I really liked the HK93 varmint rig in NP3 I used in the early ‘90s for hunting in MT.

My oldest NFA item a Mossy 500 AOW

and (infamous) OA93 serial #DB0002

that were NP3’d.
The ROBAR NP3 finishing is currently available @ Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ. They a good folks.

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
It's an addiction for sure.

I first met Robbie Barkmann in an indoor gun range in Bellevue, WA while he was giving a demo of a SD shotgun he built. He also had some firearms in NP3. I was hooked and sent many to him over 30+ years. I finally moved to AZ in 2001 and live 12 miles from his (former) shop.
He really liked the Mini UZI SMG with bayou & suppressor that got the finish.
I really liked the HK93 varmint rig in NP3 I used in the early ‘90s for hunting in MT.

My oldest NFA item a Mossy 500 AOW

and (infamous) OA93 serial #DB0002

that were NP3’d.
The ROBAR NP3 finishing is currently available @ Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ. They a good folks.

The shop is still in the same place (CTI), on the South side of the building.

Thise are some nice toys, The SMG is really nice.

I used Wright Armory on a NP3 job and wasnt really happy with them. I spoke to another person when I qualified last week, and they too had a poor experience at WZ. I cant recommend them at all.

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Wright was good to me on several SIG/Ceracoat jobs, so I hoped they would be as good on NP3. I haven't had them do any NP3 for me.

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What fantastic looking firearms. I have a P-220 with full NP3 finish from the mid 90's. Still a favorite of mine.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
What fantastic looking firearms. I have a P-220 with full NP3 finish from the mid 90's. Still a favorite of mine.

Yup, that was my first gun to go to them for NP3. Numerous others have followed like HK P7s (M8, M10, M13), HK91 rifle, Colt AR15, a bunch of Glocks and Sigs.

I cant see myself having a gun not done in NP3.

Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Wright was good to me on several SIG/Ceracoat jobs, so I hoped they would be as good on NP3. I haven't had them do any NP3 for me.

It wasnt the NP3 that was the issue.

They dont send the stuff you send right to CTI, they sit on it until they get enough for them to decide to send. For a process that takes months, that isnt something I was appreciative of, especially with them not mentioning that.

Beyond that the charges for shop fees and shipping fees are not anything I have experienced before. Shipping some Glock parts (no frame) from Mesa to me is a 1 day trip even with Fedex Ground. Instead it went Next day air! Really expensive for nothing.

When I asked about it his nasty response was indicative of what others told me they had experienced.

Vang Comp by comparison has been very pleasant, shipped my parts to CTI immediately and didnt even require payment up front.

And since Vang Comp just relocated to NV, no sales tax!

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the update billinaz. I probably had a dozen, or more, guns that Robar worked on over the years. My favorite was a beat-up Dan Wesson Valor where they gave it the Norton Special with NP3.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
So, can NP3 be applied to an alloy frame without stripping the factory anodizing?

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
So, can NP3 be applied to an alloy frame without stripping the factory anodizing?

It may have to be stripped, but my W German P220 has NP3.

Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Yes alloy such as Sig frames need to be completely stripped of all the anodization before they can be plated in NP3 or any plating process

Please keep in mind that the factory type III hard anodize has a much higher hardness rating then NP3 does.

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
Yes alloy such as Sig frames need to be completely stripped of all the anodization before they can be plated in NP3 or any plating process

Please keep in mind that the factory type III hard anodize has a much higher hardness rating then NP3 does.

What is that hardness number of the Anodizing?