SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought another 686, but that's not the important part..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought another 686, but that's not the important part.. Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Couldn't pass up a nice clean 686 at the local pawn shop, or as I call it "Groundhog Day - Smith & Wesson Edition"

Deal was complete, and the very nice pawnbroker tells me "Oh wait, it came with an extra set of grips, some old white pearl or something, you can have them as well"

Hands me an old style Eagle Grips box, my heart starts to flutter a little.

This is what was inside....

I told them those are real ivory and worth a few dineros. Well, you're a good customer, and thats the way the gun came in, enjoy!

Needless to say, this is my favorite pawn shop of all time. I pay market value for stuff when I really want it, but more than occasionally, I get a smoking deal.

I do help them value and price old Case knives all the time, so it's not a completely one-way street.

Oh yeah, original receipt for the grips was in the box. Dated 1995, $340.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's awesome. Pic of the 686 wearing them?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great score. Beautiful grips.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Wow! That's awesome. Pic of the 686 wearing them?

Good idea!
With and without

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
This shit NEVER happens to me....... Razz

Congrats! Now you need a polished stainless T-Grip.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Wow. Congrats! What are the rules on ivory these days?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Can’t sell it across state lines IIRC
I think some states have an outright ban.
I’m sure someone on here knows all the ins and outs.

I have several pool cues with ivory as well.
The billiard industry has always utilized elephant ivory for decoration, so it has impacted that market heavily.
Existing cues still pass from collector to collector state side, but it’s a huge gamble trying to deal with the very large Asian collectors, Ive heard of cues with imitation ivory even being seized by mistake and never released. These cues often exceed 20k.

--Riff Raff--

posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I have a 113 year old Winchester 94 with an ivory bead front sight. I am terrified it will fall off or I lose it.
Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The government employee that supports confiscation is usually an idiot. OK, I said he was a government employee, so an overpaid idiot. Frown

The ivory rules are almost impossible to keep up with. If you don't mind violating a rule or two... Back just before the new rules went into effect, I managed to buy myself a genuine 1954 Randall Model 12 bowie. With elephant Ivory for a handle. Smile Sure, I paid $1200 for it, but it was clearly worth at least twice that. Didn't bother me in the least. It was still legal. I've even been told I can't resell it. But I can to an in-state resident. My biggest worry is when I die, if my widow can pass it on to my oldest son. Its a big chunk of 3/8s steel over a foot long. Smile and it will split a watermelon in one fell swoope! Best tool for the job I've ever seen.

OK, back to the rules. You can't sell it out of the country. And you can't sell it to someone from another state. Its your job to know the rules within your own state. Some of the good states, like the one where I live, just don't give a shit. The elephant is long dead. Other politically correct ones like NJ, NY, MA and some others won't allow you to own it at all. If you've got an old piano with ivory keys, you're a criminal just waiting to go to jail. Same for your antique violin or other musical instrument. No exceptions, save the elephants. Even the long dead ones.

Keep in mind that the Feds only enforce federal law. The states enforce their own stupid laws. So its your job to know how stupid your legislators or bureaucrats are. Good luck calling them and getting someone who knows. Not guesses, but actually knows.

Working with ivory is easy and fun. Its soft and workable. Then polishes really well.

OH, and my Winchester M21 has an ivory bead. I can make the gun legal to sell out of state just by taking a pliers to that bead. And it won't happen.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Rburg, I’ve been told that you can’t sell across state lines, but you can mail a “gift”
If done between 2 known parties, that would be hard to disprove.
I did a quick search on GB completed auctions, and there are tons of guns with ivory grips being sold across state lines still today.
It definitely illegal as you stated, but it’s looks like GB isn’t proactively enforcing it.
eBay on the other hand....

--Riff Raff--

posted Hide Post
Personal possession of ivory is not illegal. Under federal law, it can be sold within a state, provided you have proof that it was imported prior to 1990.

You cannot sell it across state lines.

Various states have limitations.

Ivory can be given away, but it cannot involve any exchange for value; it can't involve an end-run around the regulation (such as pumping up the price of the pistol to cover the ivory, then giving the ivory away).

The burden of proof to show that the ivory is legal is on the holder. Exceptions exist for antiquities.

https://www.fws.gov/internatio...ons-and-answers.html

https://www.fws.gov/offices/statelinks.html

Cool grips, by the way.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They are beautiful grips and, I've long admired the white poly stocks for S&W K, L and, N frames. There are white poly square butts available for the Smiths. Had a friend who is no longer alive who had a section of tusk near 16" in length. He had a grip cap made and engraved for a custom Mauser heavy barrel in .243. Rifle also wore a huge Unertel scope.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Picture of Buster30290
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of Ivory or Pearl grips - I know a lot of people are so that's my bad - but I sure do love my 686.

Congratulations on a GREAT find.

Buster - "THE SENILITY PRAYER
God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway; the good fortune to run into the ones I do; and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until .......

Posts: 3646 | Location: Nawth Jawja | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Even better that it doesn't have the clinton lock. None of my Smith revolvers have it, and I won't buy one with it.

I too love my 686. bought it around '92. I put Hogue grips on it and have sadly lost the originals.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Dats just sweet!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Congrats- a couple of the local shops here have great deals on stuff- mostly because they don’t know better, but I’m not complaining. Mostly seem to be older JM Marlin lever actions in 30-30 but the occasional .44 slips by the goalie. Then it’s more a question of who gets there first...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
The government employee that supports confiscation is usually an idiot. OK, I said he was a government employee, so an overpaid idiot. Frown

The ivory rules are almost impossible to keep up with. If you don't mind violating a rule or two... Back just before the new rules went into effect, I managed to buy myself a genuine 1954 Randall Model 12 bowie. With elephant Ivory for a handle. Smile Sure, I paid $1200 for it, but it was clearly worth at least twice that. Didn't bother me in the least. It was still legal. I've even been told I can't resell it. But I can to an in-state resident. My biggest worry is when I die, if my widow can pass it on to my oldest son. Its a big chunk of 3/8s steel over a foot long. Smile and it will split a watermelon in one fell swoope! Best tool for the job I've ever seen.

OK, back to the rules. You can't sell it out of the country. And you can't sell it to someone from another state. Its your job to know the rules within your own state. Some of the good states, like the one where I live, just don't give a shit. The elephant is long dead. Other politically correct ones like NJ, NY, MA and some others won't allow you to own it at all. If you've got an old piano with ivory keys, you're a criminal just waiting to go to jail. Same for your antique violin or other musical instrument. No exceptions, save the elephants. Even the long dead ones.

Keep in mind that the Feds only enforce federal law. The states enforce their own stupid laws. So its your job to know how stupid your legislators or bureaucrats are. Good luck calling them and getting someone who knows. Not guesses, but actually knows.

Working with ivory is easy and fun. Its soft and workable. Then polishes really well.

OH, and my Winchester M21 has an ivory bead. I can make the gun legal to sell out of state just by taking a pliers to that bead. And it won't happen.

I know a guy, his grandfather lived in NOVA,
not sure if he was an expat or here on a visa, (the guy I know is a UK subject here on a visa)

anyhoo,,

grandpa was a high up in a couple gun and ammo related companies,

and an avid hunter, liked big bore stuff, and hunted Africa many times,

he has a very nice set of Tusks, he is sure they were harvested legally, probably in the late 60's or early 70's,

yet Gramps is dead, and no paperwork was ever found to support the claim,

so he is stuck with them,

on the flip side, he did find some tusks he thought were Walrus, (apparently he knows gramps hunts one or 2 of them as well, or something)
he took a tusk, a broken walnut rifle stock, and a blade blank to a guy and had a small Sgain-dhub made to wear with his kilt,

he plays percussion in one of the local pipe and drum corps, they dress in the required kilt and accessories

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very, very nice OP.

I noticed something on your 686. The hammer and trigger have the "case-hardened" finish to them. I've never seen that on a 686. I have a few of them and they have a satin nickel type of finish.

What dash is your 686?

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Good gravy, what a nice find! Seriously a little jealous here, man. I've wanted a 686 for a while, and my favorite pistols wear faux ivories. That 686 looks amazing with those Eagle grips. Congrats and enjoy!

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post