SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought another 686, but that's not the important part..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought another 686, but that's not the important part.. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those may not be the most comfortable grips, but they are the best-looking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Wow! That's awesome. Pic of the 686 wearing them?

Good idea!
With and without

Now that’s just a beauty!

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
gorgeous! what's the value on those grips? I know tthe rules make that hard possibly

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My second handgun purchase was a new 6” 686. That purchase had just followed a model 60 chief’s special. My at-the-time girlfriend and I attended a local gun safety / self-defense course, which was my first time to fire either pistol. Within a few .357 rounds, that 686 locked up tight. There I was on the firing line with my fancy new magnum that was completely impotent. Meanwhile, my girlfriend continued to fire away with the little 60.

The 686 was replaced with a Ruger (I think it was the new GP100). It was trouble free but not as smooth. Then the hi-capacity 9 trend caught my attention and I traded the Ruger for a smallish, stainless Smith 9mm (6906?). But, that proved to also be a problem child. I traded it for a P226 in 1988, which I still own.

Wikipedia states that Smith did recall the 686 in the late 80’s to address that problem. I just didn’t have the patience for it.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Love the gun and love the grips. That said, it just doesn't quite look right to me with the ivory grips. I think this is your opportunity to go find a classic blued steel Smith as a host for those grips...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Love the gun and love the grips. That said, it just doesn't quite look right to me with the ivory grips. I think this is your opportunity to go find a classic blued steel Smith as a host for those grips...

That’s pretty much where I’m at, have a couple nickel revolvers, but doesn’t look much better

At the last gun show there was a blued 3.5” pre-27 with rubber grips....blasphemy!
It’s a shooter grade, but not too bad blueing.
If it’s at the next show I may have to make an offer.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Just beautiful. And that stuff never happens to me either. Maybe I’m not looking enough?

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 686-4, with red ramp and white outline?

The more desirable 686 and definitely a clean one.

The ivory is just icing on the cake. Nice score!

Smile

"Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness"

Posts: 99 | Location: IL | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post