SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 9mm vs 40S&W front sight difference
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 9mm vs 40S&W front sight difference Login/Join 
posted
As most probably know, P226 in 9mm uses the #8 front sight while in 40S&W - #6 front sight, which is 0.28mm taller than #8, while the rear sights are the same (#8) - see:

https://www.realgunreviews.com...ights-sight-numbers/

The question is why then Glock 17 and 22 use exactly the same sights (and 19 and 23 for that matter), full size M&P in 9mm and 40S&W also use the same sights, etc? What makes P226 different that requires a different sight?

Posts: 1 | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The difference in point of impact between a #6 and #8 sight is about two inches at 25 yards. Few shooters shoot at that distance anymore. At closer range, the difference hardly matters with a combat pistol. Perhaps the Glock designers opted for the "hardly matters" approach. Glock does offer adjustable sights on its guns slanted more to competition.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which may be what Sig is beginning to do on the P320 as some appear to come with 8,8 and some with 8,6 as few will notice the actual difference in POI.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got my P226 back from Sig after having them install new night sights. It's a 9mm and they put 6/8 sights on it. When I asked why, customer service said all new 9mm P226 will come with 6/8 sights.

Posts: 51 | Registered: April 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Comparing what Glock does and what Sig does is not apples to apples comparison.

There may be a difference in the way a 40S&W slide/barrel are manufactured from a 9mm slide/barrel that require different sights. It may be simply the bullet weight velocity on where a gun tends to POI. (for instance a 44mag might shoot a 300gr bullet higher than a 240gr bullet simply because the gun can actually recoil enough more while the bullet is still in the barrel to shoot the heavier/slower bullet to a higher POI).

I don't get too hung up on what number sights are suppose to go on one of my SIGs, I shoot them and if they need a POA/POI adjustment THEN I look what's on it and adjust to the correct sight hight accordingly.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post