SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ 75 Kadet II Conversion kit question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 75 Kadet II Conversion kit question Login/Join 
posted
I hope the following is not correct info regarding the CZ 75 Kadet II Conversion kits. Are there any issues with "peening" when using these units? I'd love to have one, but after reading that, I'm a little hesitant. I've never heard this before. It seems that another batch of the Kadet II Conversion kits must have been imported recently based on the number showing up for sale on GB.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
What peening are you talking about?? Links to any articles or threads? I know you can get barrel peening with the SIG P226/P229/P220 conversion kits if you don't use a snap cap when dry firing or using a magazine configured to hold the slide open after last round has been fired.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
What peening are you talking about?? Links to any articles or threads? I know you can get barrel peening with the SIG P226/P229/P220 conversion kits if you don't use a snap cap when dry firing or using a magazine configured to hold the slide open after last round has been fired.

Grumpy1: I own 2 of the Sig units. How do you get slide peening by using the hold open mags??

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I just read the same information re: peening and the CZ Kadet. (We must have read the same source.) After an exhaustive google session, I'm convinced the peening only occurs if the operator repeatedly dry fires the pistol. All other reviews of the Kadet are glowing. I own a dedicated CZ 75 Kadet and I absolutely love it - more so than my beloved Ruger MK II and my Colt Woodsman.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
When shooting any rim fire semi-auto handgun that has a hammer, I always place a soft foam ear plug between the hammer and slide and snap away. The foam plug absorbs all the energy, and won't even dent a plastic snap cap. I do this with my Kadet kit ( on my CZ 75BD ) and my Sig P226/22 and P229/22 pistols.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
quote:

Grumpy1: I own 2 of the Sig units. How do you get slide peening by using the hold open mags??

You can get barrel peening if the slide does not stay open after the last round is fired and you drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Now on occasion this will not be a problem but still IMO not a great idea to do a lot of dry firing. You can see it starting in the picture below of the barrel of my P226 conversion kit that I bet has had less than 30 dry fires before I switched to a magazine that keeps the slide open after last round fired.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, cz kadet is safe to dry fire. Ymmv.

My lc9-22 it likes the hot ammo, what can I say

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm pretty much in agreement with your posts as I too have never heard anything negative about the Kadet II Conversion units or, more specifically, about the peening until the other day. Someone had a like new one for sale online and made mention of the Kadet kit being known for peening or something along those lines. I'm not exactly sure of the wording used by that individual so I do not want to misrepresent anything. As far as I'm concerned, it's time to grab a Kadet conversion kit while they are still available!

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
quote:

You can get barrel peening if the slide does not stay open after the last round is fired and you drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Now on occasion this will not be a problem but still IMO not a great idea to do a lot of dry firing. You can see it starting in the picture below of the barrel of my P226 conversion kit that I bet has had less than 30 dry fires before I switched to a magazine that keeps the slide open after last round fired.

Oh, o.k. I understand now. I thought you were saying that you get peening by USING the slide hold open mags. Sorry for the confusion and I agree with you. That is why I DO use the slide hold open mags on my P series Sig .22's.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Yep, I'm pretty much in agreement with your posts as I too have never heard anything negative about the Kadet II Conversion units or, more specifically, about the peening until the other day. Someone had a like new one for sale online and made mention of the Kadet kit being known for peening or something along those lines. I'm not exactly sure of the wording used by that individual so I do not want to misrepresent anything. As far as I'm concerned, it's time to grab a Kadet conversion kit while they are still available!

That was me who posted those comments and its based on a friend who asked me for detailed pics and feeler gauge measurements. He was a shooter on Team Sig so I'll take him at his word he knows his way around CZ stuff as that was his sponsor before Sig.

I've never heard of it before him asking me so please don't take it as gospel...unless it really is an issue of course. I'm obsessive about not dry-firing my 22's and even bought a spare barrel on a Beretta 89GS because the previous owner was not. Its not bad but they're not making more so grabbing a spare barrel made sense.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't dry fire any rimfires without snap caps or other similar protection. It's a good idea to uses snap caps for ANY dry firing.

I do think that, as gun owner, we often "borrow trouble." If you get a peened rimfire mark, so what? Avoid it if possible. The original purpose of the rimfire is cheap practice. The intent of dry firing is cheaper practice. So dry fire the center fire unit with snap cap. And worry about something important, like cancer.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Kadet with 50k rounds through it. No peening. Bullseye match gun.
Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post