SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Paging Bruce Gray, please pick up the white courtesy phone as we have a P220-10mm question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging Bruce Gray, please pick up the white courtesy phone as we have a P220-10mm question. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
So, several of us remember a post from sometime ago where you were not supportive of shooting hot loads like Buffalo Bore hardcast +P loads out of GG's custom P220-10mm (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1040018524/p/4) The question is whether or not you included SIG factory P220-10mm pistols in your warning/caution or simply the custom made P220s?
THANKS!

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! Great question. I'm glad I spotted it here.

My original reasoning was, the original P220-10 conversions are expensive, and not easily replaced. Thus, while they can handle full-power 10mm loads at the cost of increased wear (just as with any other comparable-weight 10mm service pistol), I recommended using moderate loadings for general purpose shooting, and the lighter stuff like 175 Silvertips for carry. There is simply no real justification for risking your gun by shooting a lot of 250PF+ boutique loads of possibly questionable specifications, when proven-safe 225PF loads abound.

That's still my position. While both the Grayguns and SIG P220-10's are strong, durable guns that easily equal any 1911 for robustness, running excessively hot ammo through them adds needless risk of trouble.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thx for the reply and clarification.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post