SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ P-O1 Compact guys.... question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ P-O1 Compact guys.... question Login/Join 
Picture of fz4vgq
posted
Local dealer has a new CZ P-01 Compact w/nsn # on frame. Really like the pistol but with some online investigating I see many prefer the Omega version ? Also, I keep coming across mentions of a steel framed P-01 (even see it on Buds webpage) but don't see it listed on CZ's website. So my two questions are:

1. Any reason to pass up the standard P-01 and get the Omega version ? I'm not a hard use guy, it'll get shot regularly and may even be carried but no 20k round endurance tests.

2. Is there a steel framed P-01 compact ? or is it internet folklore ?

Thanks,
fz

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fz4vgq:
Local dealer has a new CZ P-01 Compact w/nsn # on frame. Really like the pistol but with some online investigating I see many prefer the Omega version ? Also, I keep coming across mentions of a steel framed P-01 (even see it on Buds webpage) but don't see it listed on CZ's website. So my two questions are:

1. Any reason to pass up the standard P-01 and get the Omega version ? I'm not a hard use guy, it'll get shot regularly and may even be carried but no 20k round endurance tests.
Omega is supposed to have better trigger.

Fact, not fiction. And, it is also much rarer.

Thanks,
fz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131,

Are the steel framed P-01's not made anymore or just something CZ doesn't really show in their standard "catalog" ?

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Steel P01 is safety only. IIRC. I liken it more to a 75 compact with a rail.

Omega trigger is slightly straighter/ less curved.

I think the big draw of the Omega’s is ability to change from decocker to safety.

I like my non Omega CZs very much including a P01.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Thank You cslinger. Being that I'm only interested in decocker on a DA/SA pistol, the ability to change to a safety easily (Omega version) does nothing for me. Thanks again for the info. I'll post pics when I pick it up.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
If you want the decocker version then buy the regular P01. Some like the Omega trigger better but others don't. The CZ P07 ans P09 have the Omega trigger if you want to try those out to see the difference.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only other advantage to the Omega I have heard, is that it is simpler to work on. But given your preference for the de-cocker, and the fact that I have never heard of the standard de-cocker failing, I think the standard P-01 makes sense.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I prefer the standard P01 specifically because of the decocker and the way it rotates.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a full sized steel 75 with the Omega trigger. The first DA pull is very heavy compared to my P01 standard DA/SA/ The Omega trigger seems to have a slightly lighter or better single action weight. I need to break out the gauge and compare them.

As to supply and demand, I have seen the steel frame compacts in the 700 to 800 asking price range lately.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend the standard P01 vs Omega. The location of the traditional (nonOmega) decocker is part of the appeal of the CZ.

I have a steel framed "PCR" (no rail, has decocker). Sweet range shooter, but regular P01 better for carry, and darn sweet itself. Get the P01, and keep an eye out for a steel one over the years if you still want, but not a "must have" to enjoy a compact CZ.

Both of above have been Cajunized. Well worth it.

And, just IMHO, the NSN serialization is not a rare collector's item, but very cool.

Enjoy.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fz4vgq:

Thanks,
fz

There is enough variance in the triggers I wouldn't consider trigger pull a factor. Main benefits of Omega trigger is that it's simpler mechanically and also the ability to go either safety or decocker. They do runs of the steel framed P-01 from time to time, it's just a non catalog item. There are a lot of CZ non catalog items they do occasional runs of.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
First I’ve heard of anyone actually preferring the Omega trigger.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two all-steel compact P-01 models.

The #99041 is labeled P-01 on the slide and it has a steel top end and steel frame (and is otherwise indistinguishable from the P-01) - caveat: it does have a more pronounced upswept beavertail.

The #99021 is labeled "CZ-75 Compact" on the slide. Other than the label, it's identical to the 99041 above, including the cool larger beavertail.

I owned the 99021 and was smitten with it - sold it on for no bad/good reason at all. the steel reminded me of what CSX uses on its train track rails.

Folklore: rumor has it that the 99021 was produced by CZ under a contract that was eventually cancelled, and the crazy part is someone familiar with that cancelled deal suggested the company was Wilson Combat, who then went to offer the Beretta Brig Tac 92G instead.

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
/\ not sure that's accurate but it is interesting nonetheless.

99041 is easier to find... KYGUNCO gets them in on occasion.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
PCR is an alloy frame...

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerious
posted Hide Post
Like others have mentioned. CZ will put out runs of Frankenguns to eliminate excess parts and discontinued inventory. Which is why you can find odd combos like:
All steel PCRs
All Steel P-01s
P-01s with the long gone CZ 40B Top ends in .40
All steel Compacts with lowers that resemble the P-01

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

Posts: 2120 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The standard P01 with alloy frame and decocker is the orginal mil spec after all of the extensive testing this weapon went through during development. https://cz-usa.com/press-relea...-of-perfect-pistols/

With standard trigger it will wear in and they are very good shooters. Right now they appear to be in short supply.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a regular P01 alloy frame, non Omega. Then go the range and enjoy one of the best shooting pistols ever made.

Then order some LOK palm swell grips if you don't love the stock rubber.

My PCR has absolutely ruined the Sig shooting experience for me. I've tried getting my Sigs up to snuff with new grips and SRT Kits and while better, they still don't hold a candle to my PCR.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I have a steel frame P-01...it's a "tank" for carry. I much prefer the PCR on my hip. I can't comment on the Omega trigger. A trigger job on the the standard DA/SA system is the best I've shot.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a regular P01 alloy frame, non Omega. Then go the range and enjoy one of the best shooting pistols ever made.

Then order some LOK palm swell grips if you don't love the stock rubber.

I have a set of blue Cool Hand grips on mine, no palm swell and run a mecgar flush fit magazine (steel thin base pad) and it is AMAZING how small this pistol feels, yet you still have fighting sized pistol so to speak. Really a great do it all gun.

I had her out to the range yesterday and it was a pleasure. I really like CZs decocker location / design on the non omega guns.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post