SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Ruger 5.7
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger 5.7 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
The reveal of this was fascinating. Starts as a rumor on Sunday, a little more third party confirmation appears on Monday and then Ruger makes it official on Tuesday. And then almost immediately every one of the youtube guys releases their own video and we learn that the gun has been with reviewers for the past month. Hard to believe these guys could keep a secret for so long!

Kind of nice wasn’t it compared to that legendary crap Glock just pulled.

I like the idea of the pistol too sadly I am out of the gun buying game for some time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Glad to see and hope this brings down 5.7 ammo prices. A year ago I bought a CMMG MK 57 and have been happy. Wanted a Fn 57 pistol forever but would not pay prices. Christmas Eve got a deal alert for FN 57 at $950 shipped and bought it with Jan. 3 shipping. Then over weekend came Ruger announcement...had buyers remorse for a few days then decided to keep, will have in hand next week.

Like a lot about Ruger but will wait, may add to collection down the road. Glad to see and a great development for 57 community.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Speer is going to be releasing some ammo for this caliber. Hopefully an affordable option and then perhaps some Gold Dots and this would be a heck of home defense gun.

I saw a video on YouTube the other day of a fella that was given five rounds of a “manufacturer sample” of their new 40gr Gold Dot load they’re working up. I forget the exact velocity, but they were going about 2,100 FPS out of a FiveSeven. Out of a 10” or 16” barrel with a PS90, assuming it feeds reliably, it ought to be a decently performing round.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Won't feed properly into a PS90 periodically. inconsistent performance, failure to fire (primer strike, no bang) and occasionally defective cases as delivered (dents).

Thank you for the info. What round would you use for self defense?

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Won't feed properly into a PS90 periodically. inconsistent performance, failure to fire (primer strike, no bang) and occasionally defective cases as delivered (dents).

Thank you for the info. What round would you use for self defense?

I’m not trying to intercept his reply, but the SS198LF delivers some pretty impressive results. It’s an all-copper (lead free) hollowpoint that penetrates 12”-14” inches in a ballistic gel block out of a FiveSeven. It doesn’t seem to expand at all, but it starts to tumble at around 4” and produces some rather nasty wound channels from what I’ve seen of tests on pieces of meat.

I’m sure there’s better ones, but that one seems to be commonly recommended among the recent options. It’s a 27gr projectile moving I forget how much faster than the 40gr blue tip Vmax SS197, which is what Nidal Hassan used in the Fort Hood shooting. It’s labeled LEO/Military only, but you can buy it anyway. If anyone has any left in stock.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use 5.7 for self defense. But if I was forced to I would use ss190 (which you can get occasionally). Of the stuff that's easy to get I would use SS198LF.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up some SS198LF from MGW today. Unfortunately, missed out on their brick of 500 rounds for $239, but they have it for $28/box or $1025 for 2000 rounds, if you’re hard core.

Picked up my Ruger-57 today. It’s an interesting comparison to my FiveseveN USG. Like some things better on the FN and others better on the Ruger, but it’s hard to argue with the price.

BTW, Ruger is selling extra mags for $50 each or two for $70 ($35 each, which is what FN mags go for).

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Can you be more specific on likes and dislikes?

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^
Can you be more specific on likes and dislikes?

Random thoughts.

I think the trigger is a little better than the FN. The steel mags are definitely thinner than the FN, making the grip thinner too, which is noticeable in the hand. Think the mag release button needs to stick out a bit farther, since for me it’s in too far to reach with my thumb without moving my hand around a little on the grip. The FN, with its big button that sticks out quite a way, is better for me, but OTOH, the release takes less force on the Ruger (may be due to the polymer on polymer on the FN). Definitely dislike the Ruger takedown compared to the FN. Unfortunately, you need a tool to push the takedown lever out a bit as it has an anti-rotation pin that mates up with a hole in the frame, and it’s too stiff to push out without a tool. The FN takedown release slide lever is much easier and quicker. Also, on the Ruger, you have to remember to push the barrel all the way back during reassembly, otherwise you can’t rotate the lever back. The slide release lever on the Ruger is quite stiff, and not helped by being so small, and the safety lever tends to be in the way. The Ruger is a bit longer than the FN, longer than just the .1” difference in barrel length, but narrower and not quite as tall. The FN barrel and chamber are chromed, while the Ruger is just nitrided. Think I also prefer that the rear of the FN chamber and bolt face are fully enclosed by the slide, unlike the Ruger where the rear is the chamber isn’t covered, in fact, there is a cutout in the slide to be able to see part of the case rim as a visual loaded chamber indicator. Also prefer the FN pin-type loaded chamber indicator, which provides a tactile indicator in addition to the visual. On the plus side, the Ruger doesn’t have the magazine disconnect, which annoyed me about the FN. The obvious desire to keep the slide weight down means that there are lots of openings for dirt to get into. Aside from the cutout above the barrel, there is an opening in the rear of the slide behind the hammer, and the election port cutout is fairly large with a large gap between the chamber and the inside of the slide (large enough that you can see the internals in the frame underneath the barrel). The FN seems more like a pistol designed for military/combat duty, while the Ruger seems like a commercial duty pistol.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the details. Please post back after you have a chance to shoot the pistol.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I bought an early PS90 an couple cases of ammo because it was the hot new thing ... and I was a Stargate fan. After the excitement of having one wore off, I realized just how anemic the round was ... definitely a CQB nitch weapon. Although I wanted one, could never justify the price of the pistol, then that nut-job shot up the base in Texas and the $$$ went up after that.

Still having about 1700 rounds of ammo, I found a 16" AR57 upper on GunBroker ... still wasn't impressed ... I guess I just dont have much need for a CQB weapon like it ... yet I do like the MP5, 5K and 5SD.

Anyway, I decided to cut the barrel down to 8" so my suppressor would extend just out the end or could use a 5.5" ... at first I put it on a pistol lower, then a SBR ... but then I found a full-auto bolt on GunBroker to use it on my M16 and now its fun and I've got about 600 rounds left ... but I also have dies and a shell plate for my Dillon 550B. I haven't reloaded any yet but I save all my brass Smile

I'm hoping To find the Ruger57 in the $500 range

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Front sight looks a tad off to me...

It does doesn’t it? Though I have a fiber optic front sight for my old Dan Wesson that looks like that higher at the end of the sight closer to the cylinder lower toward the muzzle. Now I am curious who made it, not the best at making notes for such things.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my wife was just starting to get into guns, she fell in love with the FN 57 and bought one in 2009. It was real close to $1K, but everything was expensive at that time. I thought it was quite expensive. I was thinking the price would come down over the years, but the 57 it still pricey.

So now Ruger has come out with a 5.7, and it's about $600. Ruger makes lots of inexpensive pistols.

Is there something about the 5.7 round that costs extra when you are manufacturing a pistol?

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, stamping the FN logo on it. Big Grin

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
<snip>
So now Ruger has come out with a 5.7, and it's about $600. Ruger makes lots of inexpensive pistols.

$600 wouldn't be bad, but on Gunbroker their around $800 Frown

I just took another look, part of the problem is that people are bidding them up.
some dealers are starting them out at a penny, other dealers are starting them at $699 but none seem to be ending at $600 ...

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
<snip>

$600 wouldn't be bad, but on Gunbroker their around $800 Frown

I just took another look, part of the problem is that people are bidding them up.
some dealers are starting them out at a penny, other dealers are starting them at $699 but none seem to be ending at $600 ...

That’s happening with all the new guns right now. Look at the SP5. There’s nothing I need so bad that I can’t wait until the next batch when prices stabilize.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Glad to see and hope this brings down 5.7 ammo prices. A year ago I bought a CMMG MK 57 and have been happy. Wanted a Fn 57 pistol forever but would not pay prices. Christmas Eve got a deal alert for FN 57 at $950 shipped and bought it with Jan. 3 shipping. Then over weekend came Ruger announcement...had buyers remorse for a few days then decided to keep, will have in hand next week.

Like a lot about Ruger but will wait, may add to collection down the road. Glad to see and a great development for 57 community.

Since you had the Banshee first, getting the FN makes more sense than the Ruger because of mag compatibility, at least to me.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:

Since you had the Banshee first, getting the FN makes more sense than the Ruger because of mag compatibility, at least to me.

I am betting that if this Ruger 57 really takes off, we might see a Ruger carbine version to go along with the 9mm and 40sw.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I always like to see new products come out ... even if it isn't something I'd want.
It's a positive indicator of our culture.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
I am betting that if this Ruger 57 really takes off, we might see a Ruger carbine version to go along with the 9mm and 40sw.

I'd almost be willing to bet they've got a carbine designed and going through the testing phase as they're rolling out the pistol.

5.7x28 performance out of a pistol is one thing. Out of a 16" barrel, it's another. Cross-marketing the two is the only logical conclusion. If they're going to enter a market that FN has had a monopoly of, one can bet they're going to chop at both legs and not just one.