SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Ruger 5.7
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger 5.7 Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Interesting contrasts.

FN pistol is roughly twice the price of the Ruger and Kel-Tec.

5.7 ammo is roughly twice the price of .22 Magnum.

Then there is the reliability factor.

I'm not sure I'd trust rimfire ammo out of a semi-auto for self defense, but for plinking and hunting, its fine.

(I have experience with the PMR-30 but not 5.7 pistols)

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I would love this 22 mag. I just can’t get excited about the Keltec PMR30 but this in 22 mag would check a lot of boxes.

Might be an option for you
https://www.academy.com/shop/p...ory-xt-22-wmr-pistol

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reveal of this was fascinating. Starts as a rumor on Sunday, a little more third party confirmation appears on Monday and then Ruger makes it official on Tuesday. And then almost immediately every one of the youtube guys releases their own video and we learn that the gun has been with reviewers for the past month. Hard to believe these guys could keep a secret for so long!

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I enjoy shooting the 5.7 round. Something about it is just fun. This is a nice offering to see. Everyone is comparing the price of this gun to the price of the FN. I’ll be curious to see how this shoots. Before I deem it a better value, I want to see if it’s as accurate as the FN. the FN is a freaking laser and will still be worth the money if this Ruger isn’t as accurate.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
For the rumored street prices, I'm in. I've bounced back and forth for years over getting the FN, so much so, that I even started buying a little ammo here and there for a gun I didn't have yet. I just never sealed the deal. Not sure why, maybe when it came time to drop the coin, I always saw something else flashy that I wanted more.

With this Ruger 5.7, optics ready and lower priced, I'm ready to commit. Well done Ruger. Thank you for keeping the gun industry interesting.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, put another one on the 2020 list. Shot a friend of mine FN at our local club about 6 months ago. Put a mag worth of ammo into the steel plates at 100 yards. It was like shooting a rifle in terms of the accuracy.
Didn't want to spend $1300 on an FN but this Ruger changes everything

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Speer is going to be releasing some ammo for this caliber. Hopefully an affordable option and then perhaps some Gold Dots and this would be a heck of home defense gun.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but this Ruger changes everything

I've said it above in this thread a couple of times, but how? Now I love the fact that the ruger has optics so I will for sure buy one. And I do love the idea that volumes on 5.7 go up so 1. it comes down in cost and 2. there might be some when ammo available when ammo gets tight again (there was not 5.7 for a very long time not too long ago) At 5.7 ammo prices a couple of range sessions will dwarf the cost difference of the two pistols. I am not against the idea but it seems weird to me that people are really really excited about the pistol price point and then the .50/round kicks in. I really wonder if they will actually shoot these.
The cheaper AE ammo is junk and the FN stuff is expensive. And reloading this is very, very tough.
FWIW..

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
This was a great announcement out of left field. Only issue I have with it is the CMMG Banshee in 5.7 feeds from the FN mag.

C’mon CMMG, make a lower for this one now please.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cheaper AE ammo is junk and the FN stuff is expensive

^^^^^^
I have not had any trouble with the AE ammo or the FN stuff. Both are accurate and no problems with accuracy. It is simply a very fun gun to shoot using a powerful round with little recoil. It cleans up easily as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never ever had an issue with FN ammo. that over maybe 20K rounds between PS90 and FN pistol. BUT I have had quite a few problems with the AE. I simply will not use it anymore.

posted Hide Post
Glad to see another option in this caliber. Optics mount is a very useful feature as my eyes age.

I'm always been amazed at how much ammo you can carry / pack into a small space with this round.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dillon doesn't even make shellplates for it! I don't know if I can jump into a caliber I can't reload for.

True but there is another company that does,that is the way I had to go,
I reload on the 550 with ease.
The round for reloading has quirks,I like challenges and have endured some like the 458 socom twenty years back the 460 Roland back there also.
The net and forums got me thru some of the weird stuff.
Careful handling of the 5X7 case and you are good to go.
I carry the F N 5X7 for years now,easiest gun I own to shoot

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one on the way...$585 plus tax. Will quick review upon receipt.

Posts: 24 | Registered: March 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I just called my LGS to buy one, and their first shipment is on the way ... and already sold out. I’m on the list for the next allocation. Looks like it could be a great move by Ruger.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have never ever had an issue with FN ammo. that over maybe 20K rounds between PS90 and FN pistol. BUT I have had quite a few problems with the AE. I simply will not use it anymore.

What problems did you have with AS ammo?

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Won't feed properly into a PS90 periodically. inconsistent performance, failure to fire (primer strike, no bang) and occasionally defective cases as delivered (dents).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Won't feed properly into a PS90 periodically. inconsistent performance, failure to fire (primer strike, no bang) and occasionally defective cases as delivered (dents).

^^^^^^^^^
Did that happen with the FN pistol as well?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I have several I rarely shoot the FN pistol, so no DATA.

posted Hide Post
thanks