SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Ruger 5.7
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger 5.7 Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Ruger makes some of the ugliest guns in the gun manufacturing business.

I agree. Their P-series pistols looked decent, but their newer models are fugly. Not interested in them at all.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's official.

https://www.ruger.com/

Meh.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it will be cool at their prob 600-650 street price. Half the price of the fn will make this gun sell.

I don’t think I’ve seen very many unreliable rugers even though some of them are pretty ugly, but the fn really isn’t a work of art looking either.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GataGunner
posted Hide Post
Glock PR folks take note. This is how you roll out a new pistol. No fanfare or buildup. Just release the damn thing and call it good.

Posts: 64 | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of it. Checks some boxes for me: full size pistol, single action with manual safety, oddball high performance caliber. If only it were metal framed instead of polymer Smile Can't wait to see one first hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Perry,

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NOW I'll say something.

I have actually handled one of these in person.

It arrived at the shop I work in last week for an upcoming demo event at our range. I have to say, it looks better in person than in any of the pics I've seen online.
It points well, has great sights, and also actually feels like a gun and has metal magazines, as opposed to the FN 5.7 which feels like, to me, an airsoft pistol with plastic... well, everything.
The only 5.7x28 that has ever interested me in the past is the PS-90, but I actually want one of these.

Street price is indeed supposed to be around $600 - $650, and at that price I don't think they'll be able to make enough of them.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
22 Plinkster, Ruger 57 Full Review

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ah, so throw out everything I said about the magazines. 20 rounds standard capacity? Yeah, Ruger is gunning for FN pretty hard with this one. I’d be astonished if they don’t follow it up with a carbine.

I really wanted a FiveSeven, but if this gun is as good as the early reviews are saying, it will make it hard to justify the added cost for an FN. This looks like an arguably better gun for half the cost.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
One of the things I love about Ruger is that they are not afraid to offer things in different calibers. I honestly think this thing will sell...I know of several people who want a 5.7, but haven't got the coin for the FN, in fact I was just having a conversation with my younger brother over Christmas about how he wants one. It's not really my thing, personally, but the cartridge has a following. This is really something that all 5.7 owners should be excited about, even if they're not interested in the Ruger offering, as it will drive volume and hopefully result in better, more affordable ammunition.

Also, as to the appearance, I don't think the Ruger version is that ugly...definitely no uglier than the FN. Good on Ruger for making a go of it...I hope this works out for them.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they shipping now?

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to play with one a few weeks ago at the LGS. It was a range gun and not for sale. They thought the street price would be about $650. Nice trigger, nicer than the FN I also handled. Would liked to have shot it, but I didn't see it until about 60 seconds to closing time.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who has a big commitment to 5.7 I am excited Ruger is making this. I will buy one to have just for the optics setup, I'm all in on having a red dot. But I still can't believe the number of comments I read that the price difference of the pistol versus FN is a huge deal. That difference is gone the first two trips you take it to the range and shoot it. I hope they sell a million of them, those owners buy lots of ammo, ammo makers see that and produce lots more ammo and 5.7 prices go down. But I just don't see it...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
Are they shipping now?

Yes they are shipping now. We are a fairly small home-based operation and were able to get one coming to us so I’m assuming they will be fairly available shortly at bigger establishments

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
This is really something that all 5.7 owners should be excited about, even if they're not interested in the Ruger offering, as it will drive volume and hopefully result in better, more affordable ammunition.

Amen to that!

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Also, as to the appearance, I don't think the Ruger version is that ugly...definitely no uglier than the FN. Good on Ruger for making a go of it...I hope this works out for them.

Honestly, it looks more like an H&K to me. I actually kinda like the way it looks, but I love the "space gun" look and this is kind of like splitting the difference between an FN FiveSeven and an H&K MK23, at least, to my eyes.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I have had an FN Five-seveN for a bit more than a year now. It is just simply fun.

I have already ordered a Ruger 57 from a place that had it in stock already. I want it to be a great success as it may lower ammo prices to have the caliber in more hands.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With everyone talking about ammo costs, my first thought was, ehh, learn to reload! Then I started researching reloading the 5.7. No wonder you guys are shooting factory ammo! The 5.7 uses some proprietary dry film case coating that musn't be damaged or removed. The coating aids in feeding from the mag, and also helps in extraction. Without it all bets are off for reliability. The 5.7 is also extremely sensitive to variations in powder charges; a 0.1 overcharge can jack pressure up to into the danger zone. Because of this, it seems, there's not much reloading data available from the powder manufacturers. Dillon doesn't even make shellplates for it! I don't know if I can jump into a caliber I can't reload for.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I have to agree with the fun aspect. I have had the FN for several years. Post back after you have shot the Ruger so we can compare the two. Hoping the price of ammo goes down further.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would love this 22 mag. I just can’t get excited about the Keltec PMR30 but this in 22 mag would check a lot of boxes.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I would love this 22 mag. I just can’t get excited about the Keltec PMR30 but this in 22 mag would check a lot of boxes.

It's Ruger, they'll probably do that. This platform has the potential to be a shot across the bow at both FN and Kel-Tec.

Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
This is one caliber I do not have. I have been wanting one for a while now, but good not see myself dumping the coin on a FN Five Seven. I am a huge Ruger fan and will be picking one of these up myself. Not sure what I will really do with it, but this just moved to the top of my gun bucket list.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post