SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Ruger 5.7
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger 5.7 Login/Join 
posted
I don’t know how to link. Saw it on Arfcom. Holds 16+1. I would think they could get more round in the mag. Probably a double stack single feed. Hopefully someone will make a plus five base plate. I have never owned a Ruger pistol this will be my first. Always wanted a 5.7 The FN Is just to expensive for a pistol I might not like.
Thoughts or experiences with the 5.7 cartridge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: leaveraction jackson,

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell yeah, well I’m not excited about it being a Ruger, but another and presumably much cheaper option in 5.7 is welcome, hopefully these will sell well and 5.7 ammo will drop in price and maybe the five-seven as well

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Link to Manufacturer's website or it didn't happen.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my search it is POSSIBLY IN DEVELOPMENT. I own the FN 5.7 and have been happy with it. Rounds are expensive and have not come down in price like all other ammo. Limited recoil, but rounds pack a punch. Has a 20 round magazine.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That seems......random.

No dig on the 5.7 fans but it didn’t exactly set the world afire and it was meant to be a pretty niche caliber from the start.

Interesting to see where this goes.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was reading about that.

Upshot of the conversation I’ve read so far, if the image is real:

• 16+1 capacity - meaning double column, single feed instead of the double column/double feed.

• If true, this could hint at a PC carbine in 5.7x28 which could make for a neat varmint rifle, especially with a factory threaded muzzle.

• If both of the above are true, and coming to market at a cheap enough price point and sells well, this should lead manufacturers to start producing more 5.7x28 ammo, and prices may eventually fall, as there would be a much lower barrier to entry to the caliber.

• There could be a major drop in ammo supply at first until manufacturers catch up.

• It’s a neat cartridge that should have more than two guns chambered for it that cost upwards of a grand or two, respectively in terms of pistol and carbine. If Ruger put out a pistol and a carbine that feed from the same mags at around the $500-$600 price point, they could start to widen the popularity of the cartridge a bit, and maybe see what we get with manufacturers playing with different loadings.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
No dig on the 5.7 fans but it didn’t exactly set the world afire and it was meant to be a pretty niche caliber from the start.

A lot of that was the extremely high cost to get into a caliber that only two guns in the world were chambered for. Another was the “space gun factor.” Then there was the initial extremely limited choices of FN factory ammo (and them being the only ones making it for quite some time), the lack of access to the “LEO only” ammo that the platform was designed around in the first place, and the high cost overall. The cost of ammo has dropped a fair bit since either hit the civilian market, and there are now aftermarket rounds that rival or beat the "LEO only" factory stuff, but it still isn’t cheap to shoot, and even if you can rationalize all that, even to the point where you drop another $500-600 to SBR a PS-90 properly, in the end, it’s basically purely “because I wanted it.”

Once you have that, you want the only other gun that shoots that caliber, so they’ve got you for another grand +/- $500. And they had a lock on the market on the guns and the ammo all that time prior to the aftermarket ammo coming online.

Now Federal makes American Eagle range stuff that’s a fair bit cheaper than the FN factory stuff, people are putting out reloading data that FN tried to discourage, and Ruger is coming to market with a pistol that looks more like an H&K than anything, and it’ll definitely be cheaper. If it can be had, out the door, for around $600 or less, 5.7x28 is going to be hard to find for the next little bit.

Posts: 17128 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just shup up about this for now.
(Sorry for the size; not my pic.) No longer on Recoil's website:

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a 5.7 fan, ps90's in qty and some of the pistols too. But I could not imagine any mainstream vendor, much less Ruger making something that takes this very oddball caliber.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
Ruger makes some of the ugliest guns in the gun manufacturing business.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm a 5.7 fan, ps90's in qty and some of the pistols too. But I could not imagine any mainstream vendor, much less Ruger making something that takes this very oddball caliber.

I have a Remington XP-100 in .221 Fireball that I'm never going to buy ammo for because 5.7x28 is cheaper and is available in guns that are fun to shoot. I mean, they could have introduced something in .218 Bee. It's all perspective on what's "very oddball." I don't think 5.7x28 fits that bill. It's not widespread, but I listed a lot of the big ones for why it isn't above. I feel like this might be an intro to a 5.7 carbine based on the magazine capacity, as noted above.

*Edit- I realize you probably know most of what I do and more after re-reading your post. I don't meant to insult your knowledge and I'll leave it as-is, because I think some of it is worth saying anyways. I guess I got hung up a bit on the "oddball" bit of your post. Smile

Posts: 17128 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If at some point it comes with a factory threaded barrel I’d be in. I always wanted an FN but it was another $300+ for a threaded barrel when I looked at them the last time. Optics ready would be a plus too.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I’m not buying an FN 57 pistol at over a grand. I would really look in to one by Ruger for half that. If the Mags were cross compatible with the FN that would be a plus.

If CMMG would do a really lightweight 16” 57 Inwould look in to it also. Sometimes it might be nice to have a lightweight AR in something more mild than 556, hotter than a .22, and not as clunky as 9mm.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
If the Mags were cross compatible with the FN that would be a plus.

That was my first thought. More conversation about the mag capacity led to the conclusion that it's probably a double stack/single feed instead of the double stack/double feed type the FiveSeven uses. Which would make the most sense if you were trying to make it compatible with a certain multi-caliber carbine that is already only single-feed that you already offer and would only need to offer a take-down barrel and maybe a bolt assembly conversion kit for... Smile

Hogue really needs to get on the ball and get together with Ruger and start offering some aftermarket stock options for the PC carbine. I'm astounded that they don't have anything even announced yet. Confused

posted Hide Post
Front sight looks a tad off to me...

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
That's freaking cool!

I'm not sure it really needs a manual safety if it has a Glockesque trigger, but still a pretty interesting piece nonetheless. It's just begging for an RMR.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ruger 57

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Front sight looks a tad off to me...

I think it's just Ruger playing with angles, as they seem to be wont to do lately. If it's fiber optic, the important part is the front dot will still be where it needs to be. Even more easily replaced is this (assuming standard dovetail) than the goofy-looking forestock they put on the PC carbine. Hogue, are you listening? Not all of us want a rail, we want a stock that looks a bit less ridiculous!

quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Ruger 57

Well... I guess it's real. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I like some of Ruger's designs but this design does nothing for me.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its great that there are more options in the 5.7 camp. I've a long history with the round and really think the P(S)90 is a neat design. But I can't for the life of me figure out why someone who thinks the FN pistol offerings are too expensive and then suddenly will buy this. When by the time you go to the range with 5.7 ammo a couple of time the price of the pistol is irrelevant.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I can't for the life of me figure out why someone who thinks the FN pistol offerings are too expensive and then suddenly will buy this. When by the time you go to the range with 5.7 ammo a couple of time the price of the pistol is irrelevant.

^^^^
Yeah.No kidding. The FN is a very reliable firearm.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post