SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    X-Ray Sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X-Ray Sights Login/Join 
posted
I was thinking about putting the (Legion) X-Ray sights on my 226 E-2. I am a bit baffled by the options. Offered are either size 6 vs 8 or a combination of the two sizes. Also, rounded versus square. Can someone give me a quick tutorial.

I do not know if it is relevant to the topic, but I just ordered a 229 Legion.

Posts: 10 | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sight height (number) should be dictated by what's currently on your P226. There will be a small number stamped on the side or base of your current sights. Use those to guide your decision on which number combo of X-Rays to get.

Typically, 9mm and .357 Sigs will have 8 front/8 rear sights, while .40 and .45 Sigs will have 6 front/8 rear. But there can be some variation. Check your current sights to be sure.

Round vs. square rear notch is personal preference. Some prefer the traditional square notch; others prefer the newer style "U" notch. Personally, I slightly prefer a "U" notch, but I don't dislike the square notch.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
Your front sight should be stamped with a number, likely 6 or 8. The rear sight is very likely an 8.

As far as rounded or square, that refers to the bottom of the rear sight notch. Some people believe the rounded provides a bigger/better sight picture. Some people don't like to change from squared. Both work exactly the same but everyone loves options.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If you want them for the fluorescent front sight paint just know that they are not nearly as bright as Trijicon HD's or Ameriglos.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
If you want them for the fluorescent front sight paint just know that they are not nearly as bright as Trijicon HD's or Ameriglos.

In daylight, you're right. The green ring is not quite as bright or prominent as the yellow/orange ring on HDs. But it's still much better than a traditional front sight dot.

And in lower light, the X-Ray's green ring compliments the night sight glow nicely, and it results in the front sight dot appearing bigger and more prominent even when in low light.

With HDs, you mostly just have the small green dot on the front sight in low light. (Althought HDs have the ability to "charge" the front sight ring to achieve a similar result for a few minutes, and the HD's ring when charged is brighter than the X-Ray's ring, the X-Rays do it automatically all the time.)

I also like that the X-Rays aren't any taller than standard night sights. HDs are almost obnoxiously tall, and the rear sight has unnecessarily sharp edges.

I have X-Rays and HDs on two different P320s, and HDs on several Glocks. While I'm a big fan of HD sights, at the end of the day I think I have a slight preference for the X-Rays, at least on the P320.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
quote:
...at the end of the day I think I have a slight preference for the X-Rays, at least on the P320.

Rogue, are the XRay sight this bright and clear
in real life:

Found this...XRAY vs HD's vs Factory Night Sights:

http://www.lightfighter.net/fi...rue/IMG_3281%202.JPG

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not quite. The front sight ring is that bright in daylight. But if you're in the light, the night sight vials won't be visible like that.

That promo photo is almost like a combination of a daylight front sight and darkness rear sight.

Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No. The front sight ring is that bright in daylight. But if you're in the light, the night sight vials won't be visible like that.

So the rear dots are muted in full light, but the front sight is nice and bright. But in low light or darkness the rear sights become as visible as the two photos above?

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, but in low light the front sight isnt as bright. It goes from being very prominent to being just a bit more prominent than the rear vials.

Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep, but in low light the front sight isnt as bright. It goes from being very prominent to being just a bit more prominent than the rear vials.

Thanks for the information Rogue, OP sorry to side track your thread!

For what it's worth, I'd personally go with the Square Notch, it looks like you have a cleaner visibility of the front sight. And congratulations on the new P229 Legion!

Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
Haha a Cold Beer, some dip and a Sig P226 Legion with square notch XRay Night Sights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lUuRZhQy5M

posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I am new to the forum and the input is exactly what I am looking for. I think I will shoot the Legion a bit and see how I like the X-Rays. I have HD's on my TRP and have been pretty happy but I am not too familiar with Ameriglos. Will need to do some reading.

Posts: 10 | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
My P226 night sites are real dim. I have a site pusher so it is time to get some X-Ray sites.

Thanks for all the info and photos.

just checked and TGS is out of stock on them.

They don’t seem to be available from SIG.

I have a $50 voucher from SIG to use so I may have to call SIG.

Anywhere else I can try?

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I had Sig install the round notch x-ray sights on my P6, and couldn't be happier.
Easy to see for me, and I find the round notch just a bit faster on target.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
X-ray's are awesome in low or bright light. Not as great in medium light, like an indoor range.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Me and my 53 year old eyes have become a big fan of the X-Ray sights. I prefer them with the rear square notch.

I put them on three of my P320's and my eyes pick up the green front sight quickly and extremely well.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post