SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig p226 x5 recoil spring - weight and suitable replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig p226 x5 recoil spring - weight and suitable replacement Login/Join 
posted
With the German X5’s starting to dry up as well as parts...does anyone know what the weight of the stock recoil spring is (9mm) and what a suitable replacement would be if an oem one cannot be found? Would a normal p226 orange spring work? I tried looking it up but there were a lot of different answers so I am not sure which one(s) are correct.

"No more 'I have to go to the bathroom'. There is no bathroom!!"

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig P226 X5 Allround in 40. It’s recoil spring is green, I believe it’s rated at 20lbs and it’s the same as the weight for the P220 in 45. At the time I bought it, I was into 40-lite, I reloaded 40 to recoil impulses lower than 9mm. To accommodate the lower pressure loads, I bought a 9mm X5 recoil assembly - Orange in color. I believe it’s 16lbs. I never shot the 40 lite loads out of the pistol, I use another pistol for that, so I never used that spring. I also believe the main recoil springs are the same between X5 models and non X5 models with the exception being the X5 recoil spring are in a 2-spring recoil system...the normal spring used in conjunction with a short captive secondary spring accommodating for the 5 inch barrel on the X5. They used to sell them from Top Gun supply and other places.
A quick Google search shows a company called Zahal makes replacement X5 recoil springs.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated. I will look them up. It seems a normal orange spring should function correctly as well? Hope so because prices for oem x5 springs are crazy.

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
A normal orange spring will work as long as you have the X-5 guide rod.

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
You might call Robert Burke, TheSigArmorer, for advice.

+1 (972) 342-2717

He’s a friendly guy and helpful for SIG folks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats the weight on the orange spring? 15?

posted Hide Post
The standard spring is 18 lbs, I believe. 15 lbs is commonly used, and some go down to 12 lbs for competition.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post