SIGforum
Ohio State Police switch to P320?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5550022164

September 21, 2019, 01:03 PM
wolfe 21
Ohio State Police switch to P320?
Saw an article saying OSHP is switching to the plastic fantastic in 9mm from the DAK P226. I am more than a little disappointed in that decision, but at least it ain't a Glock they stayed with Sig.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...
September 21, 2019, 04:27 PM
mbinky
I have no idea what the Ohio Staties carry but Sportman's Outdoor Superstore has been selling trade in Sigs in various condition for a few months now. Here is a pic of one of the NIB ones from their website. DAK P226's in .40 cal. I do remember years back (about 10 years or so?) when I read they switched to these. Nice looking guns.

September 21, 2019, 07:55 PM
qxsoup
I gotta get one of those 226's.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

September 21, 2019, 08:49 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I am more than a little disappointed in that decision ....

Why is that? Are you a member of the OSP?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 21, 2019, 08:53 PM
quote:
I am more than a little disappointed in that decision, but at least it ain't a Glock.

Oh boy......

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.
September 22, 2019, 08:31 PM
wolfe 21
No, no affiliation. I guess I could call it as "I'm a ttaditionalist." They've been an all metal agency since they were carrying Smith wheelguns. I guess I'm just not happy to see yet another group go polymer.
And before the fight starts, I don't have anything against glock. Own several in various flavors. I should've just said that if they were determined to switch, I'm glad they stayed Sig.

MBinky, they are nice guns. I bought 2 as soon as I saw them listed over the labor day weekend. Probably over payed, but I've been chasing one since ~2007. GONNA switch the shooter over to 357 Sig. I have one of the old NP3'd Beretta 96Ds as well. Never been a .40 fan, but it shoots surprisingly well for me.

September 22, 2019, 09:13 PM
gearhounds
quote:
Never been a .40 fan, but it shoots surprisingly well for me.

I’ve always been impressed just how soft the 226 shoots in .40, especially when compared to the 229 in the same flavor. To me it is the perfect balance between weight and felt recoil.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
September 22, 2019, 10:34 PM
qxsoup
OK so I ordered one of the good condition 226's tonight- will update when I get it if anyone is interested.

September 23, 2019, 03:08 AM
92fstech
quote:
Saw an article saying OSHP is switching to the plastic fantastic in 9mm from the DAK P226. I am more than a little disappointed in that decision, but at least it ain't a Glock they stayed with Sig.

While I can agree with that sentiment (most of my personally owned guns are metal-framed semi-autos or *gasp* Revolvers), as a cop who switched from the P229 to the P320 a couple of years back, I think OSHP is making a good call here. The P320 is just as reliable if not moreso than my P229 was, it's lighter, easier to shoot, easier to train officers on, is easily adaptable to different sized-shooters, and holds up better to the elements. And it costs half the price of what we used to pay for P-series Sigs. You could offer me a choice of any gun to carry on duty, and I'd probably keep the P320 that currently rides in my holster.

That said, those OSHP trade-in P226s are sweet looking, and I want one.
September 23, 2019, 07:05 AM
wolfe 21
They are very nice. Even my "Good" example is nicer than I would've expected from a duty gun. And the DAK trigger looks like it will be very shootable. Was a pleasant.surprise as I expected it to be heavier than it is.

September 23, 2019, 02:46 PM
mrapteam666
I clicked on the link that mbinky provided and kind of wish I hadn't.

I have been wanting a two tone P226 without a rail in either .40 or .357 sig, and this could fill that void.

I am just not sure I want to pay 700ish for it.

Growing up in Cols, Ohio many of my friends dad were State Troopers and eventually my friend joined the force.

They tried for years to get me to apply but at the time I was young/stupid and no desire to be anything but a Patrolman in either a City or Town. Now that I am older I realized I goofed.

After carrying a DA/SA all those years, it is hard for me to carry a polymer pistol.

The agency I am waiting to start with carries Glock 22's but I was told by the Chief they may be going to 9mm.
October 08, 2019, 04:13 AM
qxsoup
The 226 DAK I ordered is finally in hand. I purchased a good condition one and although it was filthy inside it looks like it was hardly ever used. There is NO WEAR on the rails and just the hint of wear on the barrel.

I also happened to run into a officer tonight at the grocery store. He just got his 320 a few weeks ago. 9mm full size with a TLR 1. He also was issued a 365 as a backup. Pics in a few days if anyone is interested in the 226.

October 12, 2019, 02:34 PM
HCM
quote:
No, no affiliation. I guess I could call it as "I'm a ttaditionalist." They've been an all metal agency since they were carrying Smith wheelguns. I guess I'm just not happy to see yet another group go polymer.
And before the fight starts, I don't have anything against glock. Own several in various flavors. I should've just said that if they were determined to switch, I'm glad they stayed Sig.

MBinky, they are nice guns. I bought 2 as soon as I saw them listed over the labor day weekend. Probably over payed, but I've been chasing one since ~2007. GONNA switch the shooter over to 357 Sig. I have one of the old NP3'd Beretta 96Ds as well. Never been a .40 fan, but it shoots surprisingly well for me.

Would you say the OSP should have cars without seatbelts or airbags because classic cars from the past didn’t have them ?

1) weight is an issue. Heavier guns are easier to shoot well but luckily our society is currently stable enough that LE guns are mostly carried and shot in training. Carrying a gun, two mags, handcuffs, taser, Baton, body cam, body armor back up gun, etc 40 plus hours weeks takes a toll on the body. Any weight savings is welcome.

2) more capacity. You never know what your fight will be. In a fight, bullets are opportunities.

3) DAK. I started my LE Career with all Ruger GP100 and switched to a TDA SIG as soon as I could. It was a P220 but If I knew then what I know now it would have been a 226 - see #2. My Agency subsequently went to DAO Berettas, LEM HKs and the the SIG 229DAK. The DAK is a great slow fire trigger if you are a skilled DA shooter. However it is slow and literally sucks the joy out of shooting a SIG for any type of practical use where time is a factor, and in the real world, time is always a factor.

My Agency now issues P320s with optional personal Glocks. We are working on issuing the 320 Pro Carry with a red dot sight to certain units and as a personally owned option.

I still have that P220 and a GP-100 for nostalgia and fun shooting but traditionalism and nostalgia have no place in selecting service pistols. It is literally a life or death decision.

Stillness is death.