SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig 226SAO going back to factory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig 226SAO going back to factory Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Haven't even made the first trip to the range and already my 226 Elite SAO is going back to the factory. It is possible to pull the trigger and drop the hammer with the safety engaged. A little scary with an SAO pistol.

I'd been looking for one of these for a few years and never saw one in the flesh. Finally did at Wild West Guns when I picked up my Guide Gun from them having done some smithing work on it. I noticed the Sig in the case and put it on lay-a-way.

Got it out of lay-a-way jail today. Went home to clean and lube it and noticed all is not well. First I noticed when racking the slide, if the safety is engaged pulling the slide backwards will push the safety lever slightly downwards, when returned to battery it appears that the safety is on but the trigger can be pulled back and the hammer drops. So then I tried dry firing the gun by activating the safety and cocking the hammer back, the trigger is able to be pulled back and the hammer falls.

This is not a good thing with an SAO. I've called Wild Wes and they'll be sending it back to Sig later this week for repair. Mad at myself for not noticing before buying. One of those things, getting caught up in the excitement of finally finding a grail gun.

Looks like it's cocked and locked.

It isn't.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waiting on one now. I will have to check this before I transfer it. Hopefully just a Friday gun and not an across the line problem.
Hoping mine comes thru with the factory G10 grips, but doesn't seem likely.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, i have had one 220 sao and my current 226 sao. They did not/do not do this.
Sig will take care of it. Good job on checking it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
And this is why every gun is loaded. Good on you for checking.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you gotten this sorted out? Mine just came through. Checked the safety first thing because of this thread and it worked as it was supposed to.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2734 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kokopelli
posted Hide Post
Im interested in what they report as to being the culprit...Are these 'hand fitted' at any extent? If so, a couple of drags too many with the stone could have taken off just a hair too much of the ear of the safety for it to not hold...

Posts: 246 | Registered: September 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Have you gotten this sorted out? Mine just came through. Checked the safety first thing because of this thread and it worked as it was supposed to.

Dropped it off today at Wild West Guns and they are sending it back to Sig.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 226 SAO Legion did the same thing. After its trip back to Sig its working fine now. The safety was also a little stiff but the work they did fixed that as well.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Shame my 226SAO has been flawless since I bought it new all those years ago.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2257 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post