SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CPD Guys - S&W 457D ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPD Guys - S&W 457D ? Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
Any of our Chicago PD guys have any information on your agencies use of the S&W 457D?

There is very little printed about it. It is a DAO variant of the standard 457. Made especially for the Chicago PD. Very few overuns made it out into private hands.

Evidently there were two batches made. The first batch of 457Ds having second strike capability. The larger second batch did not have second strike. Any info is much appreciated! Smile

Any of you know anyone still using a 457D on or off duty? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
How can a double action gun NOT have second strike capability?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
None of the S&W 3rd gen DAO models had second strike capability - with two exceptions - the 3914DAO made for the NYPD and the first 457Ds made for CPD.

All the others required the slide to be reset for a second pull. Regards 18DAI

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So if I understand you correctly.

I rack the slide. The hammer rocks back and then rides the slide home into a rested position.

I pull the trigger hammer comes back and drops the gun fires....slide reciprocates, hammer comes back, hammer rides slide home to rested position. Rinse repeat.

I pull the trigger on a dead round. Hammer comes back drops and the trigger goes dead.

Why the hell would you even build this in this fashion. I cannot think of any practical reason for this????

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
And don’t get me wrong I get immediate action drills being the best way to remediate a click no bang but I don’t understand why you would seemingly complicate a simple double action only trigger.

Now bear with me. I have been known to take my idjit pills more times then not so if I am missing the obvious just pity me. Smile

I apologize for the hijack.

posted Hide Post
What info are you looking for? I know some guys bought them but I don't think they were as popular as the Sig 220 compact. I don't recall seeing many guys with them. I know one guy in Narcotics that still uses his.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So if I understand you correctly.

I rack the slide. The hammer rocks back and then rides the slide home into a rested position.

I pull the trigger hammer comes back and drops the gun fires....slide reciprocates, hammer comes back, hammer rides slide home to rested position. Rinse repeat.

I pull the trigger on a dead round. Hammer comes back drops and the trigger goes dead.

Why the hell would you even build this in this fashion. I cannot think of any practical reason for this????

On 3rd gen SW DAO the hammer is preset at either 1/4 or 1/2 cock by the slide. This resulted in a shorter pull at the DA weight. We issued DAO 3rd gen Smiths and I really liked the pull. It was heavy, but it was also fairly short and smooth. I much preferred it to the early 229 DAO guns, but then we went to DAK. DAK provided the nice pull while maintaining second strike.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ahhh so sort of an early LEM type pre-cocked DA thing. That makes more sense.

I was thinking plain old traditional DAO.

Thank you.

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Bulldog7972 there is a thread over on the blue forum asking about them. Not a lot is known about them.

Numbers ordered, any issues with them, any around still with the 2nd strike feature - any info on them is more than they have right now. Thank you! Smile Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
I'll take a look and see if I can help them.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bulldog7972! Smile Regards 18DAI

Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:

The first Sig P290's were not re-strike capable. That's why they revamped with the P290RS.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
None of the S&W 3rd gen DAO models had second strike capability - with two exceptions - the 3914DAO made for the NYPD and the first 457Ds made for CPD.

All the others required the slide to be reset for a second pull. Regards 18DAI

My CS9D is double strike capable.
I just sold my 457D. It was the version not capable of double strike.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did a video demonstrating different action types including the two types of 3rd gen DAOs. Those start at 2:10.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Cool. Thanks.

Chris