SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    All these Beretta 92's
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All these Beretta 92's Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have had a 92FS for quite a while now and enjoy shooting it but at this point I prefer the SIG-Sauer P226/229.

The biggest issues I see with the 92FS are the lack of a dovetailed front sight and the reach to the double action trigger. Regardless of what grips it is wearing, the Beretta 92 does have a thick grip. Combine this with the fact that the stock F type pistol is somewhat over-sprung with regards to the mainspring, and you have a pistol that anyone with smaller than average hands has a hard time getting enough finger on the trigger to pull it in double action while maintaining a proper grip.

Yes, installing a D mainspring (or lighter), Bill Wilson short reach trigger and ultra-thin VZ grips will help, but apart from the hammer spring, these are not cheap modifications.

The single action 92 trigger does have a moderately long reset and a fair bit of take-up and there is no easy way to change that.

I have no issues with accidentally tripping the slide-mounted lever onto safe, but the levers do take up a good bit of real estate on the slide. Being a right handed shooter, I installed a Wilson Combat single-sided, low profile safety lever which works well, since I use the lever as a decocker only most of the time.

The 92FS is about as reliable as a DA/SA, hammer-fired pistol can be, and its weight and size tame recoil very well. It will feed anything that says 9 mm Luger on it.

In my opinion, the DA/SA trigger action of the SIG P226/229 is a bit better than that of the stock 92FS and it can be easily and cheaply modified by adding a short reset trigger kit which dramatically reduces reset and take-up on the SA trigger.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Beretta should have gotten rid of the hated safety and made the G conversion the standard configuration years ago. Why on earth didn't they do that with the 92A1?

Because the military wanted a manual safety, just like on the new 320.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could have left the safety on the M9 and made everything else the G version.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
jljones has a 226 that is absolutely a pleasure to shoot. The DA/SA on that pistol is simply amazing (GGI of course).

The 92 fits me better because of the work I'm able to do myself. If it was foreign to me, I'd be a 226 guy period.

DA/SA guns are rare these days in Competition/LE and in the future for the military.
It's truly a lost art in my opinion, with fewer shooting them. I recently went to a 4 day Vehicle carbine/pistol instructor course, dominated by striker pistols and the lead instructor proceeds to tell us that we as "instructors" need to know a variety of the common carbine optic's cause you could have students with them and we should be familiar with them...... then he proceeds to pull out his 2 thousand dollar Glock. Point I'm making is there is something to be said about instructors that can teach the DA/SA platform. Yes it translates to the striker world fine, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Just my opinion as I see more and more people taking advanced training without attempting to master the basics or go back and touch base with them occasionally.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first starting shooting 25 plus years ago, I was a bit finicky when it came to firearms. I picked up a Sig P228 and was shooting it at the range where a fellow shooter had a Beretta 92 something. Maybe a 92D ?? Anyway, we traded guns for a bit and I was not a fan of the bulkiness of the grip and pistol. He fell in love with my P228 and that was the very last time I shot a Beretta pistol.

That's not to say I won't give it a try again.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Maybe you ought to. I picked up a 92 a long time ago, and it just didn't fit my hand very well. About fifteen years later, it fits me just dandy. Hands do change over time.

OTOH, the 228 grip does still feel a bit too short for me.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
They are VZ Grips.

What pattern and color? I have been trying to find some grips for my Inox and I don't think I've seen these listed.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
i just bought a PAIR of vertecs for 800$ whoop whoop, just sold one and about to send the other one off for a major tune up !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 92G Elite and 92G and love both. I shoot them more accurately than any pistol I've ever owned. I'm hoping and waiting for Beretta to offer the 92A1 in G configuration. If it was available now, I'd probably choose it over the P320C I've been wanting.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a few pistols and in my history I found the 92 the best feeling grip and a natural pointer. So, of course, I don't own one now.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
I have a 92G Elite and 92G and love both. I shoot them more accurately than any pistol I've ever owned. I'm hoping and waiting for Beretta to offer the 92A1 in G configuration. If it was available now, I'd probably choose it over the P320C I've been wanting.

You can do a G conversion with the kit

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would, but prefer the slimmer profile of non-conversion G lever.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first semi auto DA/SA pistol, way back in the day was a 92fs straight dust cover no lawyers scroll and all metal parts. Even paid a bit extra for the wooden grips. Couldn't shoot it very well with the heavy mainspring, long trigger reach and lack of practice/training. SInce then I had discovered 'D' springs, INS reduced power trigger return springs and skeletonized hammers, and that I could actually shoot a 92 fairly well with a little work and practice.

Since then I have owned an Inox that I had made into a 'ghost', an Elite 1A and two Elite II's, all of which I have had to sell. Never had I had a Beretta that hadn't run 100%, and I was able to shoot the Elite II's (my favorite model) best of all.

Berettas line-up really hasn't interested me in the recent past as there is no model that has all the features I would want, dovetailed front sight, checkered front strap, front cocking serrations, all metal parts and a Brig slide, until I heard about the Wilson Combat Brig Tac. Have had one on order for about 7 months now, still waiting patiently.....

In the meantime I have discovered SIGs. In the past several months, since I decided to get back into the centerfire pistol game before the last election, I have bought a P226 Legion DA/SA, two P320's (a compact and an RX) a P226 RX SAO ELite and just a few days ago a P226 Legion SAO. The Elite style frame just seems to work for me, and I discovered a while ago that it is generally a much better plan to buy what you want from the get-go than to settle for your second choice and then try to make it into what you wanted in the first place.

In the meantime I patiently await the arrival of my Brig Tac...my first Beretta in a LONG TIME!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
LOL. Love the ending. "All right, right on. Cease fire"

That was good.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
bud's has a bunch of 92S italian police trades with the heel release for $329 right now. I have absolutely no need for one but the want is strong.

I started with Berettas and they'll always have a special place in my heart. When I have the disposable income I'll own another someday, along with a 1911.

I do technically still have one in the family, a bruniton 92fs I sold my father because he wanted a pistol for HD and didn't want to use his all original, practically brand new all inox 92FS from the early 90s.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My favorite:

Posts: 531 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 92 fits me better because of the work I'm able to do myself. If it was foreign to me, I'd be a 226 guy period.

Hey Piedrarc, I too dig your 92 competition videos. Would you mind sharing some of the mods you do to your Berettas?

Thanks,
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Beretta M/9 package years ago , it came in a plain brown box , with M12 holster and belt mag pouch , in a big green Beretta box . not sure what year ?????? Its been flawless I maybe got it around 85 or 1990 new . also have a PA Fish Com . Robar 96 in 40 cal night sights . Never a problem .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sea Bass:
quote:

Hey Piedrarc, I too dig your 92 competition videos. Would you mind sharing some of the mods you do to your Berettas?

Thanks,
SB

I do the action work, sights and will be beveling the magwell and checkering the front and back straps. It is time consuming, but saves me a ton of money.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im in the market now for a full size 9mm and i am considering a 92F Inox, 92A1 or a SIG P226 2 tone for all at the same prices....had a 92 centurion a long time ago but sold it, and i still have a P229 Enh.Elite in 9mm which I love except for its ridiculously long beavertail! Id love the P226 esp the 2 tone version but its also nice to add a Beretta in the collection..so i am still thinking now..Is the P226 ideal in .40 caliber?

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post