SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    All these Beretta 92's
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All these Beretta 92's Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
Over the years I've shot and owned a lot of different 92's.

There is absolutely no doubt the 92 is arguably one of the best full size 9mm handguns of our time. Out of all the DA/SA offerings out there I personally think the 92 is the king of the hill. I wanted to share my experience and what 92 pistol I think offers the best bang for the buck. Most gun buyers want the "do it all - out of the box" gun, but lets be honest. We tend to make subtle changes to the gun to fit our needs. There is one pistol that I consistently go back to, no matter what other 92 variant it's compared to. That's the 92A1, hands down. Yes, before you start barking my personal 92A1 does have a beveled magwell and checkering. Why doesn't Beretta offer that from the factory is beyond me. However it shouldn't be the deal killer. Years ago I sought after the Brigadier types for one reason - replaceable sights. A 92 without a replaceable front sight no longer occupies my inventory. That isn't to say that those guns aren't great, they just aren't what I would consider to optimal for my personal preferences.

The slide and frame dimensions aren't compatible with the standard 92's, but I have yet to swap any of my frames or slides. That argument just isn't practical for me.

I have to be honest that I was a little skeptical on the 92A1 at first because it didn't seem to be favored. I'm glad I didn't listen, and gave this awesome pistol a chance. It is my go to 92 variant.

92A1 in action -

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to own one, it is on the list. Sadly i really like the more rare frame mounted safeties. My thumb can not easily reach the slide safety, so i have to use my off hand, making the gripping process longer.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
The 92 is a great pistol. I currently own a 92fs Centurion and am not about to sell it.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased my first, a pre-owned Wilson Combat 92G that was on consignment at my indoor range. I couldn't pass it up.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92FS. First gun I ever bought, mid-1990s. Used for most of the training courses I attended around that time. Never malfunctioned. Always did my best shooting with it, despite being too big for my hands.

A few mods...

PT night sights by IWI (now dead...rear sights have been blacked out and I painted the front sight fluorescent green...I may swap out the rear sight with a Wilson in the near future)
Wolff Border Patrol trigger return spring
Harts Recoil Reducer recoil spring guide rod (Anyone remember those? I'm actually going to replace it with a regular steel guide rod at some point)

I'll probably do a G conversion when I get the chance. Probably do a D hammer spring swap, too. Wilson short-reach trigger and VZ grips would be nice to try.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryarnaud,

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own several, and carried a 92FS/M9 for several years. The Beretta 92 has one of the best out of the box double action triggers, on par with Sig.

That said, I don't care much for Berettas. They're accurate, and they're very reliable, but fairly bulky pistols for a 9mm. I own several in .40 (96's), which isn't kind to the frames.

I never saw a 92 in Iraq that was in very good shape. Most worn out junk.

A finely tuned Wilson 92 is very different from a run of the mill out of the box service pistol that's been shot more than a little.

Beretta makes a good pistol. I wouldn't expect it to have the longevity or durability of other pistols. It's got a failing reputation in service for reliability, as they're getting very worn out.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My first firearm was a 92FS... Soon after I sold it and became a Sig nut. I recently picked up a 92A1 and realized how much I like it. Then I got a compact, and 92 INOX Vertec. The Vertec is awesome! Like you I think it's the best DA/SA platform.

I always like to watch your videos, makes me realize how much I suck! Lol

What's your take on the Wilson Combat 92? Worth it or just get a 92 and modify

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

That said, I don't care much for Berettas. They're accurate, and they're very reliable, but fairly bulky pistols for a 9mm. I own several in .40 (96's), which isn't kind to the frames.

A set of Wilson Slim grips will change the bulk dramatically.

I never saw a 92 in Iraq that was in very good shape. Most worn out junk.

I rarely saw a well maintained M9, that will be with any service handgun for the military. They will not be maintained as per the recommendations.

A finely tuned Wilson 92 is very different from a run of the mill out of the box service pistol that's been shot more than a little.

Beretta makes a good pistol. I wouldn't expect it to have the longevity or durability of other pistols. It's got a failing reputation in service for reliability, as they're getting very worn out.

Again any service pistol with tenure will be worn out. I bet you'll hear the same about the new Army sidearm in years to come. The average battalion weapons supply aren't in tip top shape. They are gonna see hard use. Another contributing factor is the military's lack of proper maintenance on pistols.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

I always like to watch your videos, makes me realize how much I suck! Lol
I get lucky once in awhile.

What's your take on the Wilson Combat 92? Worth it or just get a 92 and modify
Having the WC Brig for a little while now. I like it, I think for what you get it's a good price. I do prefer a modified 92A1 to it. Its kinda sad, the WC Brig was exciting at first. That wore off quickly, for me.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

posted Hide Post
Just how awesome would it be if they came out with a 10mm version? I imagine that they would sell a couple

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 40 is causing frame issues, I can't imagine one living long in 10mm. Especially with some of the hotter ammo.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather see them bring back the Type M compact single-stack 9mm.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
henryarnaud

quote:
Harts Recoil Reducer recoil spring guide rod (Anyone remember those? I'm actually going to replace it with a regular steel guide rod at some point)

Yes, I remember those! IIRC, it's a mercury-filled tube with some BB's inside. From what I remember reading about them in the early '90's, they did a very good job dampening recoil.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
henryarnaud

quote:

Yes, I remember those! IIRC, it's a mercury-filled tube with some BB's inside. From what I remember reading about them in the early '90's, they did a very good job dampening recoil.

Yep. Those are the ones. Though in the 92FS I could only tell a difference with +P, and even then it was a small difference.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:

What kind of grips are these?

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are VZ Grips.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have yet to own one, it is on the list. Sadly i really like the more rare frame mounted safeties. My thumb can not easily reach the slide safety, so i have to use my off hand, making the gripping process longer.

Or, just swap in a G kit so no need to manipulate it except to drop a SA hammer to DA position.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
LOL. Love the ending. "All right, right on. Cease fire"

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta should have gotten rid of the hated safety and made the G conversion the standard configuration years ago. Why on earth didn't they do that with the 92A1?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post