SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W BG or Ruger LCP? (Pics on pg 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W BG or Ruger LCP? (Pics on pg 2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'd get the BG over an LCP, and an LCP II over either of those. The triggers on the LCP and BG are...not great, though I'd give the BG a bit of an edge overall. The LCP II is much better then either of those, though while it's almost the same size as an LCP it's less streamlined/smooth. I've shot them all and the LCP II is a much better shooting gun. Though if you're just tossing it in a pocket the safety on the BG is nice.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:
I'm voting bodyguard. Specifically the 438 for edc in all the situations that you describe. I use a clip draw on this one myself. Model 49 for range practice and holster carry Wink

I think he's talking about the 380 bodyguard semi auto not the J-frame.

You are correct, Dusty. I should have specified in the OP that I meant the BG .380 - I forgot that S&W makes more than one 'body guard' model.

Thank you all for the responses so far. As my guy isn't open until Tuesday, I have a little while to think about it, but I'm leaning towards the LCP in stainless.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
I bought an LCP II recently. The trigger is a lot better than the trigger on the original LCP and the S&W. It also has decent sights on it for a pocket gun.

I own a LCP II, its a fast shooting little pistol with the new trigger, no problems with mine, and I have found I am more accurate with it by point shooting than aiming.

Extra caution with the new trigger however, in pocket carry, or holstering. I carry mine n a kydex IWB , as I do not like pocket carry.

Owned a Kel Tec 3AT for years, the LCPII is much better. I also use the Ruger 380 ARX ammo.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
LCP all the way.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I went with the LCP in stainless. No pics, sorry.
Thanks for the opinions and experience.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose a semi-auto, I'd go with the Ruger LC9s. Striker fired, good trigger, 9mm (not .380).

But like some of the other posters, I more frequently carry my little Ruger LCRx. First two cylinders have shot shells, and Hornady Critical Defense in the other 3.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:
I'm voting bodyguard. Specifically the 438 for edc in all the situations that you describe. I use a clip draw on this one myself. Model 49 for range practice and holster carry Wink

I think he's talking about the 380 bodyguard semi auto not the J-frame.

You are correct, Dusty. I should have specified in the OP that I meant the BG .380 - I forgot that S&W makes more than one 'body guard' model.

Thank you all for the responses so far. As my guy isn't open until Tuesday, I have a little while to think about it, but I'm leaning towards the LCP in stainless.

Roger that gents. My wife owns an lcp and I've tried them for carry twice, purchasing and then trading/selling two copies. I've never owned the 380 bodyguard. For what it's worth, all lcps were reliable though the finish could be better given the deep carry methods the design lends itself to. Trigger requires practice as my examples had a false reset. My primary semi autos are CZs so I ride the trigger to reset. I found that the lcp was detrimental to my overall practice regimen. I have heard that the lcpII addresses this issue, though fully departing from double action of the original. I did find the guns concealed extremely well, however eventually went the humpback 38 specials.

This is just what I remember, and wish you the best of luck in your quest.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had both the BG and the LCP Custom and wound up keeping the LCP Custom. The Custom has a bigger/fatter trigger which I like because I can get better control with it compared to the standard model I had. I like the real sights on it as it can be more accurate than just a point and shoot pistol. The only downside for me were the sights during pocket carry. They are taller and have sharper edges which tended to grip onto my clothes. I wound up using a small file and rounding the sights which made a big difference but did not compromise their usage/benefit. Ruger makes a nice pistol as does S&W. The BG was great also. We had the model with the laser and safety. The laser button was hard to activate and the thumb safety was also difficult to operate under normal/range shooting. I would not use it for ccw with the safety on as in my opinion, it is too small and hard to disengage with one hand,especially while pointing it at a target. I haven't tried the LCP 2 but it looks really nice.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post

Finally got to take it for a short spin tonight. Had limited ammo and just the one target, but not bad. I'm not as good as some of you gunners on here but, for what it is, I was tickled with these results off hand at seven yards.

25 of S&B 92 grain fmj and 7 of Sig 90 grain jhp.

If you haven't tried a second generation LCP, it is a massive improvement over the first attempt. Much better sights and trigger; or maybe I've just gotten better in the five years or so since I've had one?

Either way, pretty happy with the results. No failures or stoppages, but 32 rounds isn't exactly proof of product either.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and opinions. I'm pretty happy with it.

And, my favorite part about the LCP - you can hide it under your hand. Smile

posted Hide Post
I'm confdient you'll be pleased with your LCP II.

Keep an eye out for a newer model of the +1 extended mags, these do NOT work in the LCP II:

http://shopruger.com/LCP-7-Rou...e/productinfo/90405/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LCP 2 is a vast improvement over the first gen LCP.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an LCP II with the factory laser today after trading in an LCRx .38 +P with exactly 20 rounds fired through it and can't wait to try it out. Didn't lose much on the trade as I have a really good relationship with my FFL and he had a phenomenal price going through Davidson's for the laser model. I didn't like how the LCRx recoiled or shot for me which was a disappointment given I had at one time had a S&W 638 Airweight Bodyguard that I liked (other than the lock on it) and carried and shot really well for me. Not sure why, maybe because of the polymer vs aluminum frame as their weights are similar, but the Smith was as accurate for me as many larger pistols I have shot inside of 15 yards and what I found to be more manageable recoil, even though it had an exposed backstrap and the LCRx seemed to have a good, complete wraparound grip.

I had one of the original LCPs for a while and found it handy to carry, relatively easy to handle / shoot well and much more tolerable to shoot than the LCRx so with the notable improvements of the LCP II and a factory Viridian laser as a nice plus, I have high hopes the LCP II will impress and work well for me.

As for the Bodyguard .380, the triggers on the ones I've handled were all terrible and I could never get past that to even consider getting one.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Dtech, my experience with J-frame sized revolvers is very similar to yours.

I love the size factor, the shape in pocket (vaguely round) and the power factor of the 38 special cartridge. But I just can't shoot them worth a damn.

I've tried the 442, the 642, and a model 37, and I just can't get decent hits with them. I've often thought the LCR/x might be better, but I was worried it would just be more of the same.

Although the above group is nothing stellar, it would still fit inside my best group from a snub small frame revolver. Even with the massive improvement of the Apex kit, the 442 couldn't match what I can hit with this LCP.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Easily the LCP between those two.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I had a bodyguard .380. The trigger really bothered me. I got to thinking that if I ever really needed the gun, the trigger would get me killed. I sold it and bought a P938 Equinox for a pocket gun. I couldn't be happier!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
bionic - nothing at all wrong with that group you posted with your new LCP! The LCP trigger does take some getting used to and is prone to causing the lower to lower left shots sometimes if you are right handed. While I could shoot well with my original LCP, the trigger, as you already mentioned, especially on my earlier model, was a bit of a challenge to learn, but definitely doable and repeatable with some effort. With your recent model LCP I suspect once you take it to the range a couple more times, you will surprise yourself even further.

One of the concerns with the LCRx was that it was not a gun that I cared to practice with enough to try and get the absolute best I could out of it. Not so with the LCP and I suspect the LCP II will be the same or even better in this regard. I have a 4" GP100 .357 Magnum that I shoot well even with full power loads, and due to the added weight and grip on the GP I could much more easily shoot a box or two of full power loads without as much of an issue as I had with the LCRx. With the LCRx I struggled to get to 20, even using single action to try and get a feel for the intrinsic accuracy it offered. It really bothered the web / palm of my hand. I know 20 rounds is a small sample but I'm convinced the combination of the polymer fire control section and aluminum frame on the LCRx causes a unique recoil impulse that is a bit more taxing on the hand than an all aluminum frame (like the 638 I mentioned before), especially if you have smaller hands and/or are more prone to bruising easily. In short, if you can, try one before you buy an LCRx to make sure it works for you. I can't imagine why anyone would even want to shoot a .357 LCRx on purpose with .357 self defense ammo! Eek In hind sight, the .357 LCRx loaded with .38 specials only would probably be a much better choice for those really wanting an LCRx due to the extra weight it offers with the steel frame section, but it is also considerably more expensive.

But I digress. Don't want to derail your thread. Just wanted to share this info as many folks might also consider the LCRx along with the ones you mentioned.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post