SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W BG or Ruger LCP? (Pics on pg 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W BG or Ruger LCP? (Pics on pg 2) Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
This is not for primary carry. This is for those days when I throw on some cargo shorts and walk the dog early. This is for 'forgot something at the quickie mart' and need to run out real quick. This is for bicycling around my po-dunk little town with my kiddos. In other words, this will be tossed in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for those few times I'm not carrying my real gun.

I've had an LCP before and was impressed by the size, shape, and reliability. I was not impressed by the sub-optimal trigger and flat-out crappy sights.

I've not had a BG or even held one before. But the big plus that I can see from here is the rebate gets it to the same money as an LCP, and it comes with two mags.

So for those that have had one or the other or both, why did you pick it over the other options?

Thanks.

ETA: I know some people have had good results with the P3AT, but the one I shot was not good. And my regular guy doesn't have any, and I'm only buying from him.

Also, I know there are some 9mm choices in this range, but they don't fit the size requirement for me. A Shield or similar is a belt and holster gun for me, and if I have to throw on a belt and holster, why not just carry my regular gun?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bionic218,

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
LCP or LCP II would be my recommendation. Not a fan but they are GTG.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like the LCP custom in spite of the red trigger with racing holes in it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
LCP. The smith is garbage simply because the trigger is garbage. I would rather have a Taurus TCP (which actually has a nice trigger) then the S&W.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
LCP. It's a little smaller and lighter than the BG and has a better trigger.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I carry a second generation (shorter stroke trigger pull and slightly improved sights over the original) LCP in my pocket as a BUG. I like it specifically because of its smooth and streamlined shape, which the Smith does not have. If you don't like even this gun's trigger, they have a newer model (LCP II) out now. I have looked this one over (but not dry fired it) and it does have some improvements. OTOH, a LCP is only a little over $200 now, cheaper if your LGS has a sale.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LCP II trigger is pretty decent for a small pocket gun trigger (most of them are nothing special, but it's the best of the worst). At the same time an LCP II is around 270 and a regular black original LCP is 200ish.. not that $70 difference is a big deal, but if it's a very limited use and it's just a close range conceal piece it might be just as good to save the $70. Don't really need a precision trigger in a 6rd pocket gun that's likely to only ever be used in high intensity situations (if something bad was to happen are you going to notice the difference in trigger pull?) and you said you were using the nemesis but the LCP already comes with a little nylon style pocket holster...

I'd do some form of the LCP if it were my choice.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
LCP all the way.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had a BG for about a month and have been impressed with the size and weight. It kind of disappears in the pocket. It was $299 with a $50 rebate also.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been completely satisfied with my LCP, for what it is and what it costs. Ruger stands behind their products also. I tried the LCP ll, and was not that impressed.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
for a couple bucks more go with the Ruger LCR. in 38.special lighter, always works, and fits great in a Desantis. I Love mine as a pocket gun.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
for a couple bucks more go with the Ruger LCR. in 38.special lighter, always works, and fits great in a Desantis. I Love mine as a pocket gun

I have both. LCP is easier on recoil, and for me to shoot accurately. LCR is heavier and hurts to shoot in 38 special. Looking back the LCR 357 would have been a better choice if I loaded it with 38 special. Ruger customer service is great.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For 380 pocket carry, the Glock 42 I have found to be ideal - and made in USA.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Dusty78 says ^^ about the Bodyguard. Sorry to bad mouth S&W but I kept one for a year - and it was almost as worthless as a rock. The LCP Custom with the red trigger is an order of magnitude better. That said, I never had any malfs with the S&W - just horrendous trigger pull. Also - kinda sorta related - I think the barrels for the BG's are cast. Maybe they'll get it right the third time - supposedly there's a new version headed our way ...

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm voting bodyguard. Specifically the 438 for edc in all the situations that you describe. I use a clip draw on this one myself. Model 49 for range practice and holster carry Wink

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LCP. I have the original model that disappears in a pocket. Also have the 7 rd extended mags. Yeah, sights are "simple," but it works.

$200 at PSA:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...6rd-pistol-3701.html

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I bought an LCP II recently. The trigger is a lot better than the trigger on the original LCP and the S&W. It also has decent sights on it for a pocket gun.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Like my LCP 2nd generation for just throwing in a pocket.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I carried an LCP for pocket carry since they came out.
But recently replaced it with a Kahr CW380.
Main reason was, I like the Kahr trigger over the LCP.

I never considered the S&W BG.
They only S&W I'd ever buy would be a revolver, which I have a few off.. Wink

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalford:
I'm voting bodyguard. Specifically the 438 for edc in all the situations that you describe. I use a clip draw on this one myself. Model 49 for range practice and holster carry Wink

I think he's talking about the 380 bodyguard semi auto not the J-frame.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post