SIGforum
If buying a new gun you would want you grandkids to have someday, what would it be?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5540026854

July 06, 2019, 10:29 AM
mhughes
If buying a new gun you would want you grandkids to have someday, what would it be?
If buying a new gun you would want you grandkids to someday have, what would it be?

Lost both my parents recently and have been thinking about legacy and passing things down through generations. Not sure my polymer pistols would be considered heirloom quality or even last that long, my kids are still quite young.

Thinking DW quality 1911, but full metal guns seem to be the only thing that comes to mind, what does the Sig forum trust think?

Special engraving?
July 06, 2019, 10:43 AM
zdog16
Yup 1911.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

July 06, 2019, 10:43 AM
hudr
Something in stainless.
1911 does pop up quick.
Or:
Maybe a Performance Center SW.
or a GP100 Match Champion.
How about a SS P220?

Lipsey’s or Talo edition of nearly anything.

I wouldn’t get anything engraved, but that’s just me. I’m not really a fan of such.
July 06, 2019, 10:47 AM
FN in MT
Something Classic.

A K-22 or M-19 or M-29 S&W?

Colt SAA in .45 Colt.

Colt 1911 in .45 acp.

SIG 226 or BHP in 9mm.
July 06, 2019, 11:02 AM
gpbst3
I dont think its possible to predict what a kid might like 20 years from now. I think it has more to do with the memories. Perhaps you and the grandchildren always go to a certain shooting spot and shot a certain gun. This is what builds the memories that are associated with a certain gun.

Buying a 50 cal. desert eagle the kids never shoot is not going to have any sentimental value. They will just think of it as pappy's old gun. Imagine giving your grandchildren your vinyl record collection. They could care less.

July 06, 2019, 11:33 AM
FHHM213
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I dont think its possible to predict what a kid might like 20 years from now. I think it has more to do with the memories. Perhaps you and the grandchildren always go to a certain shooting spot and shot a certain gun. This is what builds the memories that are associated with a certain gun.

Buying a 50 cal. desert eagle the kids never shoot is not going to have any sentimental value. They will just think of it as pappy's old gun. Imagine giving your grandchildren your vinyl record collection. They could care less.

Amen. Of the relatively few guns of my dad, I’ve only insisted on keeping his Beretta A2 12ga, simply because of the memories of our skeet shooting in my junior high years. I had continuously pestered him for us to go hunting and he, as a busy suburban businessman without hunting land access, found a skeet range for us to try. Those brief years of skeet shooting are precious memories. Sentimental value aside, I actually prefer my old 1100 that he had helped me buy at that time. Thus, I cling to the Beretta simply for what it represents, not because of the brand, model or condition.

mhughes, I’m very sorry for your loss. I suspect that it is hard for you to know now what you will retain for the long term from your parents’ possessions. It is an emotional time that is perhaps further muddied by the practical frustrations of emptying a home, settling affairs, working with siblings, etc.
July 06, 2019, 11:34 AM
grumpy1
Maybe a nice stainless Ruger Mark IV. That might get them interested in shooting earlier too.
July 06, 2019, 11:48 AM
Voshterkoff
I have three different thoughts about this.

1: Nice custom pistol like a 1911, BHP, SSA.

2: Firearm that will drastically increase in price. M1 Garand, Luger, BHP, P7, Swiss P210, import banned military rifle.

3: AR15 with a case of mags, couple cases of ammo, and parts/tools to keep it working for 100,000 rounds.
July 06, 2019, 12:57 PM
ArtieS
Volkmann Precision 1911.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
July 06, 2019, 01:08 PM
ensigmatic
I'm thinking a classic of some kind. Not even certain it has to be a "higher-end" classic. Just a good one.

A Ruger SR1911 in .45 ACP. A Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. A Marlin 1895 lever action in .45-70 Gov't. A Ruger Single Six if you want to pass on something they can start with early.

Sure, go higher-end if you want. But those are all solid firearms, worthy of passing down to your descendants, IMHO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
July 06, 2019, 01:53 PM
RobC2
You can get a custom Dan Wesson. Not too expensive, high quality, and definitely unique.
July 06, 2019, 02:07 PM
abnmacv
Winchester Model 21 12 gauge. Of course don't own one as out of my price range.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member
July 06, 2019, 02:13 PM
Augen
I decided to pick up a Ruger GP100 Talo edition - 6” barrel and nonfluted cylinder with their custom wood grips. I think guns like these will be unique to pass down but not so rare as to never use or cost too much. Just a quality piece to appreciate. Hope to pick up a few different specimens as time goes on.
July 06, 2019, 02:17 PM
smithnsig
Get something that was released the year of their birth.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
July 06, 2019, 03:12 PM
RHINOWSO
Pistols? 1911, Beretta 92, or a SIG Classic P-series (P220/5/6/8/9)

Rifles? CZ bolt actions and of course AR-15s. Lots of AR-15s.
July 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
dehughes
A revolver or a 1911.

Pre-lock S&W for the revolver. Colt or Dan Wesson for the 1911.

July 06, 2019, 04:04 PM
fiasconva
Right off the top of my head I'd say a K-22. I don't think they will ever go out of style and they'll probably be able to leave it their grand kids.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
July 06, 2019, 04:18 PM
Lord Vaalic
Nice Henry .22? Can get the family name engraved on it. .22 is mild and cheap in case they aren't shooters.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
July 06, 2019, 04:44 PM
YooperSigs
1911. P226. GP100. 10-22.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 06, 2019, 06:32 PM
SevenPlusOne
Korth

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"