SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    229 Sight replacement suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 Sight replacement suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of Ghost-1
posted
I have been looking around at different sights to replace the ones on my 229 in 40S&W. I have looked the Trigicon HD's as I have used them on my Glock's and they are ok.

I have been looking at the Sig Xray's and looking for feedback on them from others that have used. I have also been looking at the Ameriglo Spartan sights.

I tend to like the U notch cut over the square notch cut as the bottom of the front sight seems to get cut off when aiming.

Who here is running any of these and how do you feel and like them?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I put SIG X-Ray sights on a couple of my pistols and I’m reasonably happy with them. I assume they’re made by Trijicon because they look the same as the HD sights from that company except for the color of the outline ring on the front sight.

I’d actually prefer orange as a front sight accent color, but when I ordered a Trijicon sight set, the front base was too large to fit my P226. I could have probably modified the base to make it fit, but when I tried to remove the sight after starting it, it broke and went back to Brownells for a refund. I may try that again, though, because I do like the sights, and the SIG green outline just doesn’t pop up as clearly for rapid target acquisitions under all lighting conditions.

At one time I was a firm fan of two highly-visible dots on the rear sight and thought I couldn’t operate without them, but I’ve found over time that I really don’t see them when shooting at speed. It’s just important that I can center the front circle in the rear slot. And for semiprecision shooting using the front dot I prefer the U-shaped rear slot.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
Thanks I have been looking at them but wish they came with either the orange or yellow front ring sight.

I tried the orange Trijicons and did not really work for me. I tend to stick with the yellow or the Luma Green ones from Ameriglo.

If it comes down to it I might just go with Trijicons or Ameriglos or I might just stay with the regular Sig night sights and just black out the rear white rings. I just prefer to stay with a U notched rear sight.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ghost-1

Howdy stranger!

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Ghost-1

Howdy stranger!

Hey how you been?

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1: Hey how you been?

Doing pretty good here.

You still in or did you get out?

I see you've moved back to SG.

Hope things are going well.. Smile

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1: Hey how you been?

Doing pretty good here.

You still in or did you get out?

I see you've moved back to SG.

Hope things are going well.. Smile

No problem you can email me anytime. I retired September 1st 2015.Things are ok I will talk to you more about that when you email me.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I put a set of HD XRs on my 229 and I'm pretty happy with them. I got the yellow front sight and a U-notch rear. I have about as much light on either side of the front blade as my X5 Allround, so I get a similar sight picture between my competition and carry guns.

Sight picture with my old Siglite sights (not X-RAY):

Sight picture with HD XR's:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the Ameriglos. Most of their front sight offerings are twice as long as the others and in my view easier to break off. They also don’t seem to zero very well at distance. The HD XRs and the SIG X-Rays zero nicely at 25 yards.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's I am still scratching my head wondering which ones to go with. I like the HD's but I also know that they are not made at the same height as factory sights they are all taller. That has me leaning more to the X ray's or just getting the regular sights and blacking out the white rings on the rears.

posted Hide Post
Ghost-1;
I recently put a set of TrijiCon HD sights (with the orange front dot) on my new M11A1.
Love 'em!
Much easier to quickly acquire a sight picture for a fast first shot.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P.S. I think you can get the HD's that match the #8 factory sights.
Pretty sure that's what I put on the M11A1.
Don't recall the Trijicon model number for that set.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
I run the HD's on my Glock's and like them. The only thing I don't like about them it that they are taller than OEM sights so I have to change my sight picture to hit POA/POI.

My Sig 229 and 226 are 40S&W so the sight numbers are #6/#8. I would like the sights I get to keep the same height as the factory sights with out being taller and me having to change my sight picture to achieve POA/POI.

posted Hide Post
I have a pair of SIG X Ray sights on one of my P229s with the rounded, U-shaped rear sight aperture bottom. I am very happy with them. I have some Ameriglo sights on a Glock, and I don't like them as much. I have not used Trijicon HDs.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
I guess I will try a set of the Sig X ray's and see how they do. I will shop around and see who has the best deal on them.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1:
I guess I will try a set of the Sig X ray's and see how they do. I will shop around and see who has the best deal on them.

Is this for a certain 229SAS that I used to know?

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost-1:

Is this for a certain 229SAS that I used to know?

No this is for like new non railed 229 DAK I picked up in a trade.