SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking of buying a VP9 or an M&P 2.0, thoughts from those that have shot both
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying a VP9 or an M&P 2.0, thoughts from those that have shot both Login/Join 
Picture of fz4vgq
posted
I've been a Glock guy for as long as I can remember. Been carrying a G19 for almost 15 years. Yesterday I took my Glock blinders off and shot a friends new M&P 2.0. I loved it, like the trigger better than any of my out of the box Glock triggers. Love the ergos, that grip texture, everything. Today I handled a HK VP9, just handled it, didn't shoot it. Felt as good as the M&P 2.0. I have a couple HK USP 9s that are laser beams, now I'm torn. Price difference between the M&P 2.0 & VP9 isn't much in my area and not a factor.

Thoughts, input ?

Thanks,
Fz

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I have shot both, although not side by side. I didn't like the VP9 as much as I wanted to. It had more muzzle rise then i liked nor was I as accurate with it. I'm sure fitting the side panels and back strap would help that.

The 2.0 was a much better fit, shot flatter and was more accurate in my hands. It also seemed to have a better build quality. Loved the grip texture. Even though I prefer a paddle mag reliese, I would buy the 2.0 and never give it a second thought.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick ! Great info. Coming from the glock side of things I'm always interested in muzzle flip/how "flat" they recoil.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
As a Glock guy that wants a flat shooting gun; you should shoot the CZ P10c. It was not a good fit for my XL hands, but it was a flat shoot'n sum'bitch. It should also fit most of your existing holsters.

I think the 2.0 is a better gun, but boy that CZ begged to be shot at speed.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both like the HK grip side panel that you can change mine had a good trigger , I also have the M/P 2.0 full size L/E package with night sights 3 mags and it is a real tac driver its a 40 cal alot of L/E use the MP and a lot of feed back , I sold the HK and kept the Smiths .I don't think any one issues the VP 9.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
It's probably going to boil down to personal preference or what fits you best.

I own the VP9 and tried the M&P 2.0 last week. I like the VP9 much better and shoot it better but that may be due to difference in fit to me between the two guns. I like where the trigger breaks on the VP9. On the M&P 2.0 the trigger breaks way far back which did not work well for me.

Your best bet is to try both out and then decide if you like one better than the other.

Good luck.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the size of the M&P 2.0 compact and G19 sized pistols more than the larger VP9 pistol. Also the finger grooves of the VP9 didn't work out for me, but they may for you. I also thought the 2.0c had less muzzle flip and was flatter shooting than my VP9 pistol. It didn't really need it as my 2.0c 's trigger was pretty good right out of the box, but I put the Apex duty trigger kit in mine, and it made it noticeably better in every way. I also like the Apex trigger shoe better than the factory hinged one and it moved the break *aproximately* .080" further forward. It is equal in accuracy to my Gen 5 G19 and the VP9 that I used to have. Below are two pretty informative Vid reviews of the M&P 2.0 fulsize and compact pistols. The 2.0's different barrel twist rate, rifling profile, crown and its slightly longer in battery dwell time has apparently solved the accuracy issues of the Gen 1 M&P 9mm pistols. Heads up grabagun has the ambisafety Compact 9mm for only $389 on sale with $7 shipping. Lowest I’ve ever seen! SME, Frank Proctor of " The way of the gun" is also fully endorsing the new M&P 2.0 pistols, and has transitioned to them recently from his Glock pistols.

https://manage.hawksearch.com/...&i=6&pk=259305&mlt=0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvtWF_D0ZM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhPk1kjKLPM&t=1s

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have many thousands of rounds through Glock 15/17.

About year ago bought both a M&P/Apex trigger and VP9 in 9mm. Put a couple thousand rounds through each. Could not get my grip/support hand nearly as high on the VP9 as the Glocks. Definitely much more muzzle flip then the G17. Able to get a high grip on the M&P. About the same muzzle rise as the Glock. Perceived felt recoil with 124 gr handloads @ 1150fps. M&P much softer recoil, easier to get back on target. Slightly softer then the Glock. VP9 with its muzzle flip felt much snappier. Easy choice for me between the two, M&P.

I've since shot a M&P 2.0, not much difference.

Still carry a Glock, fits MY hands better then the M&P.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, I had a VP9 and shoot a M&P 2.0 at work. I just switched to a G19 for my carry gun. Its all about what works for you I guess. I dont find one more flippy than another.
I love the parts availability and design of Glocks over the other two.

The M&P would follow for design (its basically a glock with better ergos and more complicated internals)

The VP9T was busier inside. Its the only one of the ones you've listed that I dont have armorer courses for but I like being able to pop a pin or two and swap parts. easy with those above, on HKs not so much. (Before I make that too big of a deal P7s and 226s are pretty internally complicated and I still love them)

Shooting wise I dont think you can go wrong with any of the above. I'd say I'm more accurate with the G19-VP9T-M&P 2.0 but all were fine accuracy wise. I love the VP9 paddles and wish they were more prevalent but I understand not everyone is me.

One note. If you carry IWB the 2.0 may eat your rolls. You might be able to try swapping a 1.0 backstrap onto it. Just a thought.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I owned both up until the other day. Both fine pistols. I sold the VP9 here on the forum and decided to go S&W for my plastic guns. The 2.0 and new Compact are just too good to pass up with all of tbe APEX mod options should I want to go that route...and I do.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked the VP9 after shooting a range gun after it was first released. I purchased my own on soon after. Also had a hand in three friends buying one after handling/shooting mine.

I have been on a CZ fling of late but still enjoy shooting it.

A few weeks ago I tried one of my shooting buddies M&P 2.0 full size. I do prefer the HK trigger but feel the new 2.0 trigger is much better than the original. I had a great session shooting with it and really liked it.

I really do not think you could go wrong with either. It would be a toss up for me if I was looking.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
VP9 or CS P10c. M&p is improved. Its still not quite there yet.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
2.0. The VP9 is a great gun, but has more muzzle flip than the 2.0 across the board for almost all shooters. About .22 splits is all I can milk out of one. The lack of after market stuff is also a bigger factor. A 2.0 can be customized to taste. Magazines are cheaper and easier to find. More holster options.

If the VP9 is your personal preference, drive on!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
While difficult to find in-person, the Steyr M9-A1 won the polymer contest for me against all others. If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll know why.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Personal preference. Find a range that has both and rent them.

My impressions: I like the 2.0 compact I shot. Quite a lot, actually. But I still favor my VP9 more. Maybe it's due to my familiarity with the gun, but it's how I feel. Same feeling I had when I shot the P-10C. Size-wise the full size 2.0 might be a more appropriate comparison to the VP but I've never have felt that the HK was massively larger than the compact Glocks that I do use and rely on for EDC. Neither will ever be a carry gun for me and I don't do competitive shooting, so my perspective for either is more as a recreational user.

When it comes to the HK and S&W I didn't shoot them back-to-back, but the muzzle flip doesn't seem to be significantly different to me. I will say that the VP9 is likely more annoying when it comes to detail stripping and reassembly (I don't have a 2.0 to do that to, at least yet), but aside from that I've really taken to that HK. The 2.0s are pretty nice as well, but after a box and a half of ball ammo I still came away feeling that a trigger job is on the should-do list, something I don't feel is a necessity with the VP9. And as good as the S&W's ergonomics and grip texture is, I ultimately prefer the in-hand sculpted feel of the HK over either size of the 2.0.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I don’t have the M&P 2.0 but I have both the VP9, Glock 19 G3, and a Walther PPQ M2. I’m torn between which I like better between the PPQ or the VP9. I like my GLOCk but it is clearly in third place of the three. The advantage of the Walther line is that you also have the PPS M2 for CCW plus the 5” version for target/competition.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t decide so I have both the VP9 and the M&P 2.0 Compact. I love them both and can not decide which is best of the 2.
Good luck.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for the M&P but I love my VP9. The more I shoot it the more I like it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My foray into the MP world some 5-6 years ago ended up in buying a new full sized MP9 and giving up on the brand without firing a single round. During the initial takedown, as in brought home and taken apart for a lubrication, a small part that should've been retained solidly with a pin fell out of a gun. Zero QC. I got rid of it and moved on.
I all but forgot about it until MP 2.0 came out. Shortly after a couple of folks reported exactly the same part falling out of their guns. That's not "any company can produce a lemon", that is a consistent neglect of quality control in my eyes. So while new 2.0 is indeed a shootable gun, I can't imagine taking it over a product produced by a company that epitomizes quality control. Besides, people made GMs with VP9 and shoot them pretty well in fairly objective ways.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
My foray into the MP world some 5-6 years ago ended up in buying a new full sized MP9 and giving up on the brand without firing a single round. During the initial takedown, as in brought home and taken apart for a lubrication, a small part that should've been retained solidly with a pin fell out of a gun. Zero QC. I got rid of it and moved on.
I all but forgot about it until MP 2.0 came out. Shortly after a couple of folks reported exactly the same part falling out of their guns. That's not "any company can produce a lemon", that is a consistent neglect of quality control in my eyes. So while new 2.0 is indeed a shootable gun, I can't imagine taking it over a product produced by a company that epitomizes quality control.

So could you tell us what part falls out, as I have taken my two 2.0 compacts apart and nothing is loose or has fell out of mine.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post