SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bifocal Eyeglass Wearers & Pistol Sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bifocal Eyeglass Wearers & Pistol Sights Login/Join 
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
I ordered this it seems to make me dizzy when i look around.
https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-M..._dp_s_web_3027522011

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with Nipper. Wear contacts for far vision and astigmatism and reading glasses for reading, computer, etc. Sights are always fuzzy (pistol and rifle) but for normal defensive shooting, I just focus on target and fuzzy front sight. I shoot really well at normal defensive ranges.

For turkey hunting, I must use a red dot on my shotgun. Borrowed a friend’s gun with fiber optics on a last minute trip and no bueno.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I wear bifocals routinely but they're kind of a PITA for shooting. One lens actually has a couple of scratches on it where I got a little too close to the rear sight on my FAL, so I'm going to have to get a new pair made soon. I finally had a pair of prescription shooting glasses made, that are ground to be sharp at front sight distances. They work for both handgun and rifle (iron or aperture sights) shooting. They also work well for driving. I have to take them off to read up close.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Like powermad, I had a dedicated set of shooting glasses made up. I took a mock handgun to the eye docter so we got the prescription right.

Pretty much same here

My doctor recommended I bring in on of my pistols and from there, she decided reverse bifocals were best for me. And they are. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot RDS nearly exclusively for the OPs reasons.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just fitted for two pair of glasses with mono-vision. I had done this in the past with contact lenses and it worked pretty well, the first week or so I was clipping a few curbs making right hand turns but eventually got used to it. I was shooting a lot of archery at that time and it helped quite a bit. I"m anxious to get to the range to see how it improves my shooting. I brought a ruler with a sight taped to it to my eye exam and I think we were able to dial my prescription in very well using this method.

Posts: 18 | Registered: November 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering what could be done about these things. It's gotten to the point that I have to choose between seeing the sights or the target. It's extremely frustrating. Getting anything close to an accurate group at 25 yards is practically impossible now.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3525 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I've been wondering what could be done about these things. It's gotten to the point that I have to choose between seeing the sights or the target. It's extremely frustrating. Getting anything close to an accurate group at 25 yards is practically impossible now.

Both you and the OP. Get yourself to a good opthamologist and explain your requirements. Also, an explanation of where your eyesight is now and how he thinks it will progress. Ya ain't gonna find the solution on a forum.

In my case, my eyesight deteriorated to the point you're at now. With the std lens (top) both sights were a fuzzy blob. Tilt head back (bifocals) and I had a sight picture, but entire target was blob.

Brought my computer glasses that have the focal length adjusted for the distance of a computer display. Great sight picture, although target was moderately fuzzy. I wasn't happy, since I'm a defensive shooter. Can't yell STOP...let me put on my computer glasses before the shooting starts. At least I could shoot.

Did this for two years, and then I slowly got my ability to obtain a fuzzy focus back. Process reversed itself. My opthamologist said this is not unusual with my age and eye problems.

Eventually I needed cataract surgery in my right eye. Since the prescription on the replacement lens can be determined by the doctor, I explained my situation. Brought in a slide and explained the sight process and distance. While I still wear glasses, I have a clear sight picture using the right eye now.

As I've gotten older, I've had to make a number of adjustments to maintain my handgun skills. Eyes, grip, handguns, accessories, etc. For example, I use black/black sights. I can still shoot as well as the best defensive shooters in my LGC. With age, it becomes like a shark: Keep swimming or die.

Do yourself a favor and see a doctor. You may have to try more than one.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I wear progressives that seem to work reasonably well for shooting. Certainly better than my old fashioned lined bifocals did.

Maybe Para can offer some good advice for us myopes.

^^^^^^
I have progressive lenses as well and I haven’t found that to be a problem when shooting a pistol or rifle with a scope.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problems as Nipper et.al. and have found that progressive lenses work well. I have them grind the bifocal (reading part) higher so that I don't have to tip my head back when shooting. Out to ~10 yds, for defensive work, I can keep a hand sized group on the center of a silhouette target without my glasses...as I would if they were knocked off or I'm shooting across the bedroom while in bed...hey..who wears their glasses in the sack!

Daylight conditions are infinitely better...but I still like a big dot front sight that's tritium lit for night work.

And Nipper's advice on enough light on either side of the front sight is right on the mark. I've opened up some of my revolver sights to accomplish that...but it's a non-starter with tritiums for obvious reasons.

Walmart cheaters (2.5x for me) work well on range days, but you're kidding yourself if you think you can shoot as well when not using them. For quite awhile I used 1.25x for CMP Nat'l Match competitions out to 600 yds with the M1 and an AR. The big targets made a good contrast against the green of the berm at Rodriguez at Camp Perry...I just adjusted my elevation accordingly & held on the bottom of the white target backer.

YMMv Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I normally wear trifocals, so the middle is set for my mid-range, the lower for reading, and the large top area for distance. After dealing with the frustration of having to tilt my head back to see the front sight clearly, I went back to my eye doc, who sent me to this one experienced guy in the optical shop who has helped many other shooters with similar issues. He made me a set of bifocals for shooting, that on the left lens the large area is distance vision, so I can see the target clearly, and on the right lens the large area is set to mid-range, so I can now see the front sight clearly without tilting my head back. The bottom of both lenses is set to reading strength for close work like reading headstamps, checking primer strikes, etc. The difference between left and right is a little weird but your brain adjusts pretty quickly when you’re walking around and favors the appropriate eye. However, I normally only wear my “shooting Rx glasses” while shooting. I can shoot safely and reasonably well (for me) with the trifocals, but I shoot much better with the “special” glasses, and it’s much more enjoyable.

Alas; one of the many concessions we must make to the aging process...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
These solved my bifocal-shooting-iron-sights problems:
Elvex RX 500 safety glasses. https://www.safetyglassesusa.c...full-lens-magnifier/
Unlike regular bifocals...the magnified portion on these is in the middle of the lens. No more raising your chin to see your sights.
Great value for $10.
Hope this helps.

I've been using these for about a year and my shooting has improved tenfold.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.safetyglassesusa.c...k-on-bifocal-lenses/
If you wear progressive lens or bifocals a cheap but effective alternative is to buy a stick on bifocal and pou it on your glasses so you look through it when gun is up. I have been using these for about five years. A drop of water and it stays on until you remove it.
Don't get it too strong, you still need to see the distant target. Play with some readers at the dollar store and find what power helps you see your outstretched thumb clearer but you can see distance too. For me it is 1.25, you may need more.

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post