SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bifocal Eyeglass Wearers & Pistol Sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bifocal Eyeglass Wearers & Pistol Sights Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I wear bifocal glasses and have a lot of difficulty seeing my front sight let alone getting a clear sight picture. Actually shooting with any form of accuracy is nearly impossible while wearing them. Has anyone switched to an RDS optical sight? Thinking there may be less optical noise for my eyes?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just how bad is your near/far vision? Mine are bad enough to need glasses, but not so bad I NEED glasses. That is to say: Without my glasses I can see up close well enough for anything other than reading small print, the sights don't fuzz-out on me too badly most days, and I can see well enough at distance to make out the details of a target at 7 yards to 25 feet. So I switch to regular shooting glasses.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time with mine, pistol or rifle.
Doable but it's a PITA bobbing all the place trying to get a good sight picture.

I have a single vision set for shooting.
They don't work for reading but I can see at arms length and beyond well enough.

Talk to the eye Doc and explain what you need, they should be able to hook you up.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Like powermad, I had a dedicated set of shooting glasses made up. I took a mock handgun to the eye docter so we got the prescription right.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I've thought about having a pair of glasses made that basically reverse the way my progressives work. currently, if i look through the top of the lense I am using the distance part of the lens which doesn't give a very clear picture of the sights. I can straighten my head a little to view through the lower part of the lense which gives me a clearer view but not the stance I prefer. One of these days I may work on a new set of shooting glasses but right now it's not a real priority.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
My eyes are like ensigmatics but I went all in on the RDS & haven't looked back. I thought about dedicated glasses just for shooting, which will work fine on the range but I wouldn't be wearing them around town when I might need to use my ccw. The RDS will work if you are wearing glasses or not. There is no blur either way. Even with an astigmatism, the dot may be slightly distorted but easily usable.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I wear bi-focals. We have semi-annual qualifications with our duty firearms. I like to train like I shoot. So, in my case, I'll focus on the target first, then align my sights, look at target, focus on front sight, and squeeze away. It only takes a split-second to do all of this with training.
My scores usually range between 245-250 out of 250. I'd considered getting Rx shooting glasses, but that's not realistic.
Train with your normal glasses and train some more! Eventually, you'll be able to adjust!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tri focals. Middle section used for computer screen and pistol sights.

About the best compromise for me. The pistol sight is a little further away than the screen when my arms are extended but it’s on the “edge” of the focal range and sharp enough to work. Target is real fuzzy but at upto 30 yds works fine.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
My eyes are like ensigmatics but I went all in on the RDS & haven't looked back. I thought about dedicated glasses just for shooting, which will work fine on the range but I wouldn't be wearing them around town when I might need to use my ccw. The RDS will work if you are wearing glasses or not. There is no blur either way. Even with an astigmatism, the dot may be slightly distorted but easily usable.

Delta 3 has the same situation that I have.
I switched to a rds and my group size at speed was cut in half. I no longer have a problem seeing the front sight and the targets at the same time.

Posts: 403 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives that seem to work reasonably well for shooting. Certainly better than my old fashioned lined bifocals did.

Maybe Para can offer some good advice for us myopes.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
These solved my bifocal-shooting-iron-sights problems:
Elvex RX 500 safety glasses. https://www.safetyglassesusa.c...full-lens-magnifier/
Unlike regular bifocals...the magnified portion on these is in the middle of the lens. No more raising your chin to see your sights.
Great value for $10.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I wear bifocals and also have a pair of single vision glasses. I use the single vision at the computer and shooting which are made for arms length use. Can see the sights ok but target is fuzzy. Four of my hand guns are fitted with red dots which work great with my bifocals.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear trifocals but when I shoot I put on a pair of OTC readers which are the same ones I use for PC work. This arrangement words well for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Using one of your old frames, have your eye doc figure out an Rx that allows your dominant eye to focus on your front sight. This will require you to take your unloaded gun to your next eye exam.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives and have a rather bad astigmatism. I had been using shooting glasses with a Rx insert - right eye focal length at the front sight and left eye at infinity (right eye dominant).

I just got a pair of shooting glasses, ground with a progressive Rx from here...

https://huntershdgold.com/

Not only are they my regular prescription - no having to acclimate to them when switching from my everyday glasses to my shooting glasses - but they also use a type of transitioning lens which goes from light amber to dark brown, dependent on ambient light. Good indoors and out.

Used them for the first time yesterday at an indoor IDPA match and they are fantastic! The clarity and definition are wonderful. Plus this was a great company to deal with.

Usual disclaimers about no connection to this company other than being a more than satisfied customer.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I also wear progressive glasses

I had two single of vision glasses made with the point of sharp focus 3 inches in front of my finger tip. The second set is tinted for outdoor ranges

This has worked well for the past few years

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives and look at the top of my lens. Works fine for me fortunately.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I normally don't post on threads regarding eyesight issues. Too complicated and too individualized.

Just a few of general comments. My frame of reference is strictly defensive shooting, not competition:

1) Solutions depend on whether the gun is used for normal closer range defensive distances (3-10 yards) OR longer distance precision shooting.

2) The two front sight issues are usually sharpness/focus and amount of light on sides of post.

3) Sharpness is not that important. For SD, a fuzzy sight picture is still adequate. I'm not talking about front/rear sights merging into one blob with no differentiation.

4) Light on both sides of the front sight is important. You can't really align the front/rear sights unless there is some light to center the front blade.

Personally, at age 77 with crappy eyes, I like black/black sights with a lot of light on the side. I'm nearsighted, bi-focals, have a heavy prescription, glaucoma and have had cataract surgery in the right eye. Still able to shoot very well at defensive distances.

About 35 years ago when I had eyes and a full head of hair, I hunted woodchucks with revolvers (.357 Mag and .41 Mag). Routinely made 50 yard hits. Them days are gone forever though.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Had two Offices in the past with this problem.

They purchased laser sights. Using the top of there eye glass lens they would look trough the fixed sights and then see the red laser dot just above the front sight looking at the Target.

This helped them a lot .
One had a Laser max sight and the other had a
.crimsontrace laser sights.

They both complained that the upper lens they could see the target but not the sights.
When they used the bifocal lens they could see the sights and not the target.

With the laser dot on the target itself you only need the upper lens to see the sights red dot and the target.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
They both complained that the upper lens they could see the target but not the sights.
When they used the bifocal lens they could see the sights and not the target.

With the laser dot on the target itself you only need the upper lens to see the sights red dot and the target.

This would work great if my employer would allow red dot sights. When using an optical sight on my own guns, it's almost like cheating! Big Grin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post