SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    H&K P7 Magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&K P7 Magazines Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
They did. Then we bought them and the magazines to the point of extinction.

No, certain people bought them to the point of extinction. I see people selling a P7 with 6-10 magazines......You can't even put 6 magazines of ammunition through it before it's too hot to hold. I could see having 2-3 magazines for a gun like the P7, but it's not a competition gun where someone needs 10 magazines for 1 gun (In MY Opinion). Then there's a guy selling used mags and in the picture is a pile of them.

^^^Spares Dude... Roll Eyes

Seriously, this is not necessarily of our doing, but the Anti-2A gun grabbers are relentless, sooo a guy needs to prepare, just in case they succeed!

Additionally, the reason we're having this discussion at all is because HK stopped making the P7, and subsequently stopped production on P7 Mags as well. Sooo. if you want to ensure you're not gonna be obsoleted out of an expensive handgun (unless you like the proposition of a single shot P7), you acquire plenty of spares. Personally, whenever I buy a new Handgun, my target # for Mags on hand is 14, one more than a 'Bakers Dozen! Cool

And don't even get me started on AR Magazines, or what happens when I decide to move into a new caliber... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8862 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$185 for a magazine? When I die I sure hope my kids don’t trade off my P7 stuff for a TV or something not knowing what it’s worth. Dang.

Some of us bought them to extinction because we knew they weren’t making anymore. Ever. I hate to offend anyone’s delicate sensibilities but I bought spare parts as well. Gasp, the horror!

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get having a couple of spares, but 14? Magazines do go bad, but generally that's from a lot of use, and it's a very rare event. Generally the only mags I've had go bad have been 1911. I had a 1938 Ballester Rigaud that was an issued military pistol in the Argentinian navy. It had a lot of rounds through it, was very sloppy, it had the origional serial numbered magazine with it.

I own a P7 PSP, but I just don't see it as a gun I'm running A LOT of rounds through. When I take it to the range I run about 50 rounds through it, mainly due to the heat and magazine capacity. Meanwhile I think nothing of running 200 rounds through a cz75 or 1911 in the same range session. I only have the 1 magazine that came with it, but am thinking long and hard about buying 1 spare, but the price is well.....something to cry about for a magazine. LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm let’s see. I have 10 mags for most of my firearms P7 included.

Looks at P7 mag prices today......has a hard time thinking I made a bad choice. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I own a P7 PSP, but I just don't see it as a gun I'm running A LOT of rounds through. When I take it to the range I run about 50 rounds through it
Each person uses his (her?) guns differently.

I am not a "collector." I don't have that many, I really can't afford to buy something that won't be used.

I really believe that the P7's design makes it one of the safest carry guns ever made, in terms of avoiding NDs. Accurate, easy to shoot, safe. What's not to like?

And of course, if I'm going to carry it, I definitely will practice with it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always like to have spare mags. I’m at least a 10 per gun guy. I don’t have ten per P7. I have about 4 per, roughly a bit less than for my P7M8’s. Even back when I was buying spares they weren’t cheap. 50-60 apiece. I didn’t figure they would get cheaper though. What I would buy a spare of is the firing pin bushing. They break on occasion. And it’s not a single shot at that point. Get the M8 variety. They are interchangeable and it’s tool less for removal which is nice.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I own a P7 PSP, but I just don't see it as a gun I'm running A LOT of rounds through. When I take it to the range I run about 50 rounds through it
Each person uses his (her?) guns differently.

I am not a "collector." I don't have that many, I really can't afford to buy something that won't be used.

I really believe that the P7's design makes it one of the safest carry guns ever made, in terms of avoiding NDs. Accurate, easy to shoot, safe. What's not to like?

And of course, if I'm going to carry it, I definitely will practice with it.

I agree to all of the above. I use mine. I do love it's design but do feel in today's day and age, it's large and heavy compared to the competition as far as carry pieces go.

That being said, it's impossible to put a lot of rounds through it at 1 range session due to it's design. After 30-40 rounds, you have to set it down for 20 minutes just to let the damn thing cool off. What I'm getting at, it's not like other guns that you can easily shoot 500 rounds through in 1 trip to the range, because of how fast it gets hot. 4 or 5 magazines of ammo through it (as fast as you can reload the magazines) and it becomes to hot to hold.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but it's not a competition gun where someone needs 10 magazines for 1 gun (In MY Opinion).
We're on a firearms forum, and you shouldn't need to have the word need explained to you, I mean who really needs an AR-14 with 33 round magazines? Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Shhh. He's working through his feelings about not having bought more.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get having a couple of spares, but 14? Magazines do go bad, but generally that's from a lot of use, and it's a very rare event. Generally the only mags I've had go bad have been 1911. I had a 1938 Ballester Rigaud that was an issued military pistol in the Argentinian navy. It had a lot of rounds through it, was very sloppy, it had the origional serial numbered magazine with it.

I own a P7 PSP, but I just don't see it as a gun I'm running A LOT of rounds through. When I take it to the range I run about 50 rounds through it, mainly due to the heat and magazine capacity. Meanwhile I think nothing of running 200 rounds through a cz75 or 1911 in the same range session. I only have the 1 magazine that came with it, but am thinking long and hard about buying 1 spare, but the price is well.....something to cry about for a magazine. LOL

Couple of things:
- I plan to leave my Firearms to my son after I'm gone, and hopefully he'll get to do the same!
- Magazines can/do wear to the point that it can affect performance. Springs, followers, feed lips & floorplates do wear and can get damaged...And
- They don't make them anymore! Honestly, who knows when anything will suddenly no longer be available!
- Investments in Firearms 'can' be part of a Retirement Plan / Strategy, at least to the extent that they'll never be worth less than I paid for them, and 'might' appreciate significantly!

That said, I don't ever plan on selling any Firearms, but we don't know what tomorrow (next decade, next year, or even next month) will bring, so it's good to be diversified. And like 'cslinger' stated, looking at the price of P7 Mags today, I have a hard time thinking I made a bad choice! Big Grin

Plus, has anyone noticed the prices people are asking for a Definitely NOT Mint P7 (as in kinda' battered/worn) lately? I rest my case... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8862 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
All that said and strictly from a performance standpoint all financial and or political issues aside.......the P7 series of magazines are HELL FOR STOUT. You really would have to go out of your way to destroy one to the point it is totally inoperable. I mean these are the kind of magazines you could chock an airplane tire with. Smile

So while I am fully on board with the lots of magazines philosophy I really don’t think any normal person will ever run a P7 mag to destruction.

I hear you in the back and I will happily hold your beer but you are the anomaly Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could see having 2-3 magazines for a gun like the P7, but it's not a competition gun where someone needs 10 magazines for 1 gun (In MY Opinion). Then there's a guy selling used mags and in the picture is a pile of them.

I regularly run either my PSP or M8 in IDPA. While I only need 5 to comfortably run a match, it is nice to have 5 on hand. I got extra ones, still in the factory packaging, when they were still pretty reasonable...didn't know they were going to triple in price.

Definitely not complaining

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cslinger:
[T]he P7 series of magazines are HELL FOR STOUT.

H&K USA had a video where they put an empty mag on a sidewalk, dropped a concrete block on it, dusted it off, loaded it and shot all 8 rounds with no problem.

I am a world class klutz. I need that sort of ruggedness. :-)

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Shhh. He's working through his feelings about not having bought more.

I do wish I had bought more magazines when they were cheaper.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:the P7 series of magazines are HELL FOR STOUT. You really would have to go out of your way to destroy one to the point it is totally inoperable. I mean these are the kind of magazines you could chock an airplane tire with.

Quite true. In 2014, I was hit by a car on a freeway illegally changing lanes to avoid an exit, while I was riding a Honda VFR. I slid face first for about 50 meters, jumped up and ran off to the shoulder.

One of my P7M8’s was in my thigh bag (the only pistol I will ride with, due to the glove friendly trigger guard and lever free exterior). The slide caused the mag base to drag across the pavement through the bag, shaving off one corner at about a 25 degree angle running about a half inch down the edge of the base pad. The frame of the pistol itself was completely untouched. The slide also reconfigured the bezel of one of my Omega Seamaster 300’s, but I digress. (I was wearing an Arai racing helmet, full Vanson racing suit, and Dainese titanium knuckle gloves and boots- a knee panel on the suit failed and that resulted in my only injury- cops caught the driver a few minutes later)

That mag is still fully functional today, but it damn near destroyed a file I used to smooth out the ground portion (which was flame-blue from heat).

That mag is made of some hard stuff.

Posts: 49 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a NEW HK P7 psp magazine. New in the package on Fleabay, it was about $130 with shipping.......OUCH....... I figured I should get a spare. It will be staying in the package, unless the 1 magazine I have with the gun goes bad.......

posted Hide Post
I had seller's remorse twice over. Had an original P7, heel release. Bought in 1980. There was no EU then, only West Germany, and the marc(?) was cheaper than the dollar. paid about 480. for it. Sold and picked up a M8. Sold for around 1200. and I thought I did good. Now they are trading at 2500+.!

Posts: 1658 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the NEW HK PSP factory mag that I ordered from Fleabay arrived today. The seller is out of Virginia Beach and the mag's are $121 plus shipping but he has slight volume discounts, I guess he has a lot of them. The mag is brand new in the sealed plastic HK packaging/bag that also looks new. It cost me about $130 with shipping, came fast, etc. It will be staying in the factory packaging, unless I need it. So if anyone wants brand new HK mags and willing to pay the price, go to Fleabay and they're there.

I feel kind of robbed paying $121 for a magazine.....but figure it's a lot better than buying a used one for $85 + and if I ever sell the gun the MAG should appreciate quite a bit more than a used one being NIB. JUST noticed on fleabay he only has 4 left, and bumped his price up to $151.94 for one magazine, OUCH.

What I wonder is why the guns had suck little success on the commercial/private market when they were being produced new. Then once they popped up everywhere at $650 or so on the civilian market as surplus, they developed such a cult following. Did HK do such a poor job marketing them to the civilian market, simply not even focus on the civilian market because they couldn't keep up with police/military demand or?