SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "C" Stamped on P229 Barrel - this mean anything?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"C" Stamped on P229 Barrel - this mean anything? Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hey, China is better than Cuba. Or maybe not. But both are way, WAY better than California. Razz Big Grin

How about Canada, eh?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
If we are going to play let's speculate, how about Colt?
They certainly could use the extra money.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I called Sig today to ask about something else, but brought this up to see if they knew anything.

Basically the customer service rep said it is probably just a marking that means nothing except for identification purposes within Sig Sauer so they know what batch or machine made it, in case there is a problem in the future.

Now I don't know 100% how much of that is true, because a batch number would have to be more than one letter.... I mean if they only make 26 batches (letters in alphabet), then they will run out of barrels pretty fast I would think.

Machine that made it... maybe could buy that, but still not sold.

Point is, I wish I could have gotten a more concrete answer.

Posts: 12 | Registered: December 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrueAncient:
Ok, so I called Sig today to ask about something else, but brought this up to see if they knew anything.

Basically the customer service rep said it is probably just a marking that means nothing except for identification purposes within Sig Sauer so they know what batch or machine made it, in case there is a problem in the future.

Now I don't know 100% how much of that is true, because a batch number would have to be more than one letter.... I mean if they only make 26 batches (letters in alphabet), then they will run out of barrels pretty fast I would think.

Machine that made it... maybe could buy that, but still not sold.

Point is, I wish I could have gotten a more concrete answer.

So, basically, the CSR just pulled that answer out of his ass. Sounds about right for some of them there. Roll Eyes
That answer might as well be "China".

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Batch tied with a serial number might help. Maybe 'C' is the CNC machine's nick name.

But for my completely unsubstantiated rumor that I just made up:
"C" is the highly coveted "concealable" 229 model used by SEAL team Charlie-DELTA in their Covert Operations. This 'C' marked P229 will hide on your body more easily than a standard P229, and is more accurate than even the Mastershop's P226! My sources for that is both Eli Remington and none other than John Moses Browning! True Story bro!

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though the OP was about P229 barrels, I can comment on some P226 barrels which may be applicable here.

A year or more ago, whenever I purchased a new factory SIG P226 threaded barrel, it would come with "9MM PARA" and "SIG" centered below it engraved on the right side and nothing on the left side.

Nowadays, any new factory SIG P226 threaded barrel comes with "9mm x 19" engraved on the right side and "SIG SAUER" with the aforementioned "C" below it (and towards the muzzle) engraved on the left side. All the current boxes the barrels come in still say "Made in United States" -- so "C" is definitely not China and not Compact either. Also, since these were not chrome/phosphate barrels, it doesn't stand for chrome either.

The "C" reflects a newer production run, perhaps a different machine or even factory location, but still made in the USA.

MudPhud

Posts: 41 | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just an average barrel.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe it's just an average barrel.

Slow golfers clap. Well played.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Hey, China is better than Cuba. Or maybe not. But both are way, WAY better than California. Razz Big Grin

How about Canada, eh?

Could be a good thing. We DO make the best C7/M16 barrels at the Colt Canada (formerly Diemaco) plant.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Sweet Jesus, does it really matter? A more concrete answer? Now the answer that customer service gave makes it some type of conspiracy?

Fellas, I sure hope they never stamp a "M" on the barrel, because people here will be freaking out because the barrels are now made in Mexico. Imagine the freak out that will start. Mexico making SIG barrels. Truly, it probably should have an "I" on it, as some of the stuff is made in India. SIG uses a lot of MIM outfits in India in particular. The 320c slides that caused all of the malfunctions? Made in India.

My suggestion is that some of you guys go to your doctor and ask for Xanax. And if that doesn't work, perhaps meet with an undocumented pharmacist out behind the dumpster at Costco. Say it with me. Xanax.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Sweet Jesus, does it really matter? A more concrete answer? Now the answer that customer service gave makes it some type of conspiracy?

Fellas, I sure hope they never stamp a "M" on the barrel, because people here will be freaking out because the barrels are now made in Mexico. Imagine the freak out that will start. Mexico making SIG barrels. Truly, it probably should have an "I" on it, as some of the stuff is made in India. SIG uses a lot of MIM outfits in India in particular. The 320c slides that caused all of the malfunctions? Made in India.

My suggestion is that some of you guys go to your doctor and ask for Xanax. And if that doesn't work, perhaps meet with an undocumented pharmacist out behind the dumpster at Costco. Say it with me. Xanax.

Xanax has no effects on me.

Btw, you know the P225 has the "M" stamped all over the place, right? Let the conspiracy continue. Razz

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well played. Very well played.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Jones nailed it three posts above, near the end!

The "C" is for Costco, Sigforum bulk meats purveyor extraordinaire!

It's a "shopping with protection" gun!

Big Grin

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm grateful the products I build at work would require destruction to find all the little markings inside that only mean anything to me. Otherwise, there would be threads on other forums trying to discern what the dash or number or letter means, calls placed to our sales guy trying to guess at what isn't his job, conversations to follow about what the marks mean with a sales guy whose eyes are glassing over at the mundane details, and then custom orders for the special markings. Kilroy is there for more than one customer who will never see those eyes and nose peeking. Made not one whit of difference in how the product perfmored.

The mark that matters is the company logo, meaning they signed off on it.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
Has anybody already said compact? P229 Compact?

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjgiie:
Has anybody already said compact? P229 Compact?

Nope. Doesn't work. Here it is on the P226 (LDC), also.

Q

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That looks like a "G" to me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's a "C". That's my gun. And, my black LDC's barrel is also exactly the same. Not a "G".

Q

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, when I talked to one of the CSRs a while back about that "C", I was given some explanation that is completely different from what OP was told. So, I tend not to put a lot of weight into what a SIG CSR says over the phone.

Sometimes, even in writing, their responses are completely false.

Q