SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "C" Stamped on P229 Barrel - this mean anything?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"C" Stamped on P229 Barrel - this mean anything? Login/Join 
posted
The barrel is stamped "Sig Sauer" and "C" on the left side of the barrel hood, and "9mm x 19" on the right side of the barrel hood.

Does the "C" mean anything? I forgot to take a picture when I had it out of the gun, so I don't have that. But the "Sig Sauer" was stamped in the middle of that left side, with the "C" in the lower left corner of that side.

Came up empty when searching on google. Thanks for the help here!

Posts: 12 | Registered: December 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My WAG is chrome lined, but that's probably incorrect. Does it look like factory marking, or maybe aftermarket engraving?

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
How old is the gun?

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Completely factory, it came from Sig on my replacement P229 Legion 2 days ago. Honestly I have never seen a legion with the barrel stamped "9mm x 19" on the visible part of the barrel hood. I have only seen "9MM PARA SIG P229-1", which is the one I originally had before they sent me a replacement pistol. I didn't inspect the previous barrel enough to see if it had this "C" stamping that is now on the new barrel I got.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
How old is the gun?

I got it from my FFL 2 days ago. Build date is January 25, 2017. P229 Legion.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
China Eek

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
China Eek

I sincerely hope not.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrueAncient:
quote:
China Eek

I sincerely hope not.

Me too.

But, thinking a little more about, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. SIG has been growing so large, so fast, in all different areas ("The Complete Systems Provider"), that they need to have parts providers from all over, like Israel, India, China, and who knows where else. A known Chinese example is their Romeo optics, designed in Oregon, USA, but really made in China.

Q

Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
My P320RX has the C but none of my other barrels do. I'm starting to wonder if they are cherry picked for size or slide fit before assembly.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
quote:
China Eek

We used to make G10 here in Hampton, SC in the Westinghouse plant. G10 can be made with glass fiber or sometimes for the Government we used Carbon fiber. Manufacture of G10 has moved to a part of China that is just inland from Shanghai. I have wondered if SIG pistol barrels are also made there. Sometimes they look like it. Smile

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Sig would actually tell me what it means if I call them...

posted Hide Post
Don't know what the C means but just got a 9mm X Change kit for my 229 Legion and the barrel hood is also marked 9mmx19. It's probably just how the newer barrels are being marked.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrueAncient:
quote:
China Eek

I sincerely hope not.

Even if that is what the marking means, what does it matter, provided it is manufactured to the same specifications as a domestically made product? Which in SIG's case, if you are to believe everything on the Interwebs, means hit or miss QC anyway.

I haven't bought a new SIG in over 5 years. The last one was an all US made P229 and there were definitely some aspects of it that were a little rough and disappointing in a pistol whose reputation and price demand higher expectations.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very strange. I've never heard of this. I know Colt 1911 barrels used to (or, still do, actually) either stamp P or C on the barrel lug, noting Gov't contract or commercial, but that has nothing to do with this. Wink
Couldn't be a factory marking, could it? Seems like something done outside of Exeter. dEX_RX's suspicion sounds interesting.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:
Couldn't be a factory marking, could it? Seems like something done outside of Exeter. dEX_RX's suspicion sounds interesting.

Gun came directly from SIG that way, per OP.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jsawyer09:

Gun came directly from SIG that way, per OP.

Ugh...I should've seen that.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
Maybe it just stands for compact, the difference between the P226 and the compact version P229

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TENWOLVES:
Maybe it just stands for compact, the difference between the P226 and the compact version P229

Can't be. My C stamped barrel is full size.

The more I look at my slide and barrel configurations, it almost seems like my "C" barrel has less wear than some others? Indicating a potentially better, closer fit? It doesn't take much variance in dimensions to be the difference between wear and no wear.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Yeah, lets start an UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor that SIG makes the barrels in China. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
Yeah, lets start an UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor that SIG makes the barrels in China. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Hey, it was the weekend. Can't call SIG to find out. So, what's a bored guy to do? Razz

Q