SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Wanting a larger caliber, talk me down
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting a larger caliber, talk me down Login/Join 
posted
I current have two handguns, both in 9mm: a H&K 2000sk that is what I carry most often, and a P229 that I carry from time to time, but mostly keep at hand around the house. I love both of these pistols.

Lately I have been jonesing for a larger caliber for some reason, particularly a .45. I've been looking at various 1911s, but actually find some of the Sig offerings in .45 to be very sexy. I am also thinking about .40 as well, but to be honest I'm not sure why I'm wanting the larger caliber. I like the affordability of the 9mm ammo, and have faith in the better JHP ammo for self defense. But I still am kind of drawn to .45, and really like some of the Sig offerings (although I haven't been following the new products, but a cursory look at the Sigs now, and well, dayum!).

Talk me down men...

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
If you got the cash let loose and have fun, you can't take it with ya' - as a multi-caliber pistol owner I can only speak for myself, but once I went .357SIG I haven't felt the need for another caliber

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
10mm or go home.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If magazine capacity and price were no issue, .45 ACP would probably be the only caliber I shot. I still enjoy shooting it more than any other handgun caliber. And there is nothing like shooting .45 ACP with a good model 1911.

Having said that, .40 S&W is very pleasant to shoot with the SIG P229 as is 357 SIG, and a caliber X-change kit would allow you to do that.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a vicious cycle.

FLETC put out a great video in 1998 about why the .40 was awesome (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guWmRXQxFRw).

Twenty years later, USBP just put out a video that explains why 9mm is a better choice (more rounds, less recoil) using the exact reasons that .40 was better than 9mm. Go figure.

I'd just ask what you're gaining over the 9mm you already have; you're probably going to lose 2-3 rounds, gain a heavier bullet, and have a little more recoil, and spend 20-30% over what you spend for 9mm.

(I have a GLOCK 23 in .40 and see no reason to rush out and buy a GLOCK 19 in 9mm; I have a SIG-Sauer M11A1 and 229 in 9mm and see no reason to rush out and buy a replacement in .40.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Having a 9 mm for the last 15+ years, I recently had the same itch, and purchased a Sig SSE in .45. So, I am no help, do it Razz.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
No.

Ruger Red Hawk, .44 Mag.

Smith & Wesson 629, .44 Mag.

Springfield 1911, .45 ACP.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind that whatever you send downrange, its just a small chunk of metal that's moving at a relatively low velocity. Some of these chunks are a bit smaller and move a little faster and others are somewhat larger, but move slower. The little ones don't make smaller guns recoil quite as much the bigger guns and the larger chunks might hit a bit harder than the small chunks because they have more momentum. All in all, there's no such thing as a magic bullet. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
At a minimum, you should have one of each.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I have 9mm and .45 (and .22, .32, .380, .38, .357, and .44). Truth be told, I could be happy with just 9mm.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you get a .40, many have 357SIG models also, and you can get a 357SIG barrel for your .40, and have two calibers. And for many, you can also get 9mm conversion barrels. So get that and some 9mm mags, and you can now shoot three calibers out of the same gun. I've even seen some (the Glock 23 comes to mind), where you can get .22LR conversion kits. That make four calibers. That's a lot of versatility.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as "too much gun." Cool

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wanting a larger caliber, talk me down

Down, boy! Down!

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For purely practical reasons, there's no reason to get anything bigger than 9mm.

But if it's something you want and you can afford it...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Right now you can get a new HK 45C for low $600’s. It’s a hell of a gun for that price and you are already familiar with HK’s as you carry a p2000Sk. What I like about the HK 45c is that it’s lite and relatively compact for carry. Similar to a G19.

Size comparison with your SK

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
10mm or go home.

This. I had a .45 and sold it, bought a 10mm and I giggle like a giddy school girl every time I take it out. Plus you can use it as a woods gun and it holds more rounds than a .45

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Squirrel guns.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
If you got the money why not? Life is to short enjoy it!

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at 40 cal police trade in guns. Plenty out there for very reasonable prices.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
At today's prices, 45ACP is relatively affordable, so I won't help talk you down. In fact, I just got a S&W 625.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post