SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New redesigned Glock gen 5 pistols as of Aug 1st.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New redesigned Glock gen 5 pistols as of Aug 1st. Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Have you been reading this thread?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Who wants Glock to just start cranking out Gen 2s again? I'm sure we have a few.

What would be gained by going back generations?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
Glock will watch the market and when sales, and dealer requests for the 3rd Gen guns slow enough, they will consider stopping or moving it to special order only production.

Glock also keeps tabs on their Gov/LE contracts and what Gens they are using. When the 3rd Gens are up for replacement, Glock will try and push them to the most current models.

Once those large contracts either move up generations, or go with another platform, Glock will most likely abandon that generation.

It's a matter of dollars. The R&D is done, and it doesn't take much to change CNC programs, or Polymer injections plates on the machines.

Generations being discontinued is a much slower process now that is was between the 2nd and 3rd Gen guns.

There are way more 3rd Gens in circulation now than there were 2nd Gens when the 3rd Gens came out. It was also when 40 Caliber was becoming popular and that gave a strong push for the 3rd Gens as Glock marketed them as updated and improved to better handle the 40 caliber round.

The Generation game is now based on feature sets, and there are still a ton a folks that prefer the 3rd Gens guns over the new ones. The 3rd Gen will probably be around for a while.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the gen 3 Glock came on the market 21 years ago this month. That's staying power.

Posts: 107497 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
quote:
Who wants Glock to just start cranking out Gen 2s again? I'm sure we have a few.

Yes, I have. This is why I asked the question.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
gen3 Glocks are allowed in CA. No gen4 or gen5. As long as their is a CA market, Glock will always be making gen3s. Are gen4s allowed in other places like MA?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are apparently a lot of people who want to buy guns exactly like Glock was making 25 years ago. They don't see anything introduced since then as an improvement.

Note, I'm not one of them.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Yes, I have. This is why I asked the question.

posted Hide Post
IMHO, nothing is so good that it can't be improved upon and made better, or we would all still be driving model T's. Company's can also cut corners out of greed and increasing their bottom line to the point of ruining once good products.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
Cool, but Glock no longer interests me much...to many others out there just as solid.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
On August 1, Glock introduced their newly redesigned Glock 17, Glock 19, and Glock 26 gen 5 pistols. They now come standard with front slide serrations. They also removed the hated and despised front half moon cut out on the front of the grip. Check out the Glock website for pictures of the new pistols. Glock lovers should rejoice. Looks like some nice upgrades.

Ive been rocking my Gen 3 G19 for ten almost 15 years now just WAITING for Glock to get the gen 5 G19 right. Looks like I will be in the market for a new G19.

Wonder what the idea behind the half-moon cutout was? Glad its gone.

My favorite thing about Glock is they are constantly improving their products.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

The explanation I’ve always heard is that it’s there in case you have a malfunction that necessitates ripping the mag free. Problem is, for how rare those are vs the irritation they cause so many shooters, it’s a stupid feature, not to mention the fact that most folks in conversations I’ve had about it grab the magazine baseplate from the sides to accomplish that task instead the front and back.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

The explanation I’ve always heard is that it’s there in case you have a malfunction that necessitates ripping the mag free. Problem is, for how rare those are vs the irritation they cause so many shooters, it’s a stupid feature, not to mention the fact that most folks in conversations I’ve had about it grab the magazine baseplate from the sides to accomplish that task instead the front and back.

Exactly. Look at the half-moon relief cuts on HK, S&W, CZ, etc....they're on the sides, not the front/back...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
gen3 Glocks are allowed in CA. No gen4 or gen5. As long as their is a CA market, Glock will always be making gen3s. Are gen4s allowed in other places like MA?

We were having this discussion recently, one of the guys in the group asked why all the generations of Glock were still out there, the main reason we concluded was the previous generations were approved in CA and are still being made is to have a product to sell in CA,
Glock isn't going to pay CA for rules designed to penalize gun makers and create tax revenue to get on the list with the other Generations.

Sure they'd love to end the production of 3 types of firearms for the same model to streamline production, at the same time the tooling for Gen 3 is well paid for by this time so the profit per gun is higher..

Posts: 23388 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My next Glock will probably be the G17M that is being sold by Lipseys.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bow Commander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, Jesus. Enough with the freakin' front serrations on the slides. Unnecessary and ugly. I hope it's just a fad, like hooked trigger guuards on auto pistols. This feature is just about as useless as that stuff.

Agreed. I despise front serrations. Glocks, 1911's, all of 'em.

Posts: 443 | Location: Springfield Oregon | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Specifically, this was an FBI requirement for the guns that became the M models. The Gen 5 is the civilian release of the M line, so Glock kept the cut.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

We were having this discussion recently, one of the guys in the group asked why all the generations of Glock were still out there, the main reason we concluded was the previous generations were approved in CA and are still being made is to have a product to sell in CA,
Glock isn't going to pay CA for rules designed to penalize gun makers and create tax revenue to get on the list with the other Generations.

Sure they'd love to end the production of 3 types of firearms for the same model to streamline production, at the same time the tooling for Gen 3 is well paid for by this time so the profit per gun is higher..

It's the fact that CA requires that new models have to have "Morcostamping" to be approved for sale here. Old models were grandfathered in. LEO can buy new models and people that move here like Military personnel can bring them with them. Once here they can sale them via PPT. New models typically sale for at least twice the price they sale for in Free states. Check out the prices of what new modes go for on Calguns.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ether:
quote:
I wonder what other changes were made in the “redesign”?

This has my interest peaked.

"Piqued" Smile I'm not tryin to embarrass ya, man. We're here for each other.

I really do not care.

You really do not care about what? Misrepresenting us as a community of Podunk illiterates? This is on the internet. Please sharpen up and humbly learn from criticism, as the rest of us do.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

We were having this discussion recently, one of the guys in the group asked why all the generations of Glock were still out there, the main reason we concluded was the previous generations were approved in CA and are still being made is to have a product to sell in CA

That's the same reason why Dan Wesson still offers the CBOB. Their newer bobtail commander 1911s aren't CA approved.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What Chowser said.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bow Commander:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, Jesus. Enough with the freakin' front serrations on the slides. Unnecessary and ugly. I hope it's just a fad, like hooked trigger guuards on auto pistols. This feature is just about as useless as that stuff.

Agreed. I despise front serrations. Glocks, 1911's, all of 'em.

I HATE them on 1911's, and I'm not a Glock fanboy and don't own one nor care for the front serrations in general. Come to think of it.....none of my 20 +/- pistols have front slide serrations that I can think of. Wait, one does, a S+W 1911 that I haven't shot in 5 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post