SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Removing Slide Serial Numbers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Slide Serial Numbers Login/Join 
posted
I am in the mood to buy another W German Sig. I have found a couple on that big auction site. I have noticed on more than one "CPO" Sigs that W German Sigs have the serial number ground off slide. Is this something new?

The seller thought that maybe they changed the slide and the serial numbers would not match so they are grinding them off.

Anyone else encounter this?

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
The seller thought that maybe they changed the slide and the serial numbers would not match so they are grinding them off.
On a CPO, he's probably right, it's certainly not unheard of.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Fear not. Milled slide serial numbers are nothing new on CPO guns. The practice is somewhat akin to import stamping or ownership marks which have been removed from former LEO weapons prior to being sold as surplus. While perhaps not aesthetically pleasing, there are many otherwise excellent firearms available with these cosmetic distractions.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had heard a story once about Sig. The story goes that a guy was showing his new W German Sig to a friend on a boat. He swiveled the take down lever (Empty gun), dropped the slide and watched slide jump off into the lake. He called Sig and they had him send his gun in. They gave him a new slide which they serial numbered to the gun. I guess we can't expect that anymore.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There was a time when a batch of CPO guns were released with serial numbers on the slides didn’t match those on the frame. They were obviously reworks of some sort to make use of serviceable slides and frames, but not from the same guns.

That led to anguished whining by some buyers who objected to the mismatch. It was then that the guns with numbers milled off the slides appeared, and obviously because of the earlier complaints about the mismatches. I thought that was a good idea, but not everyone agreed, and probably because they didn’t know about the earlier practice.

Knowing what I do now, SIG should have just anticipated the “lightening cuts” fad and milled the serial number holes all the way through along with a few extras to balance everything out. Heck, they not only would have avoided the complaints, they could have charged $50 per gun more for that “custom” look. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, been done. Nothing new.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xfarfuldog:
I had heard a story once about Sig. The story goes that a guy was showing his new W German Sig to a friend on a boat. He swiveled the take down lever (Empty gun), dropped the slide and watched slide jump off into the lake. He called Sig and they had him send his gun in. They gave him a new slide which they serial numbered to the gun. I guess we can't expect that anymore.

Did you hear this story from a LGS guy? Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I believe that lake is located within the 'Fairytale Forest'.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't remember for sure but probably nota gun shop. I did go thru a Sig gunsmith class at OPOTA, maybe there.