SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 65: SpeedLoader? Speed Strip?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 65: SpeedLoader? Speed Strip? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I am pretty much a revolver neophyte.

For a S&W Model 65, I need to decide between SpeedLoader and Speed Strip, or maybe some of each.

SpeedLoader: What type is preferred? HKS is a twist knob, SafariLand is a push plunger. Any others to consider? What would you choose?

Speed Strips: I see Bianchi and Tuff. Any others? Again, what would you choose? I have seen comments that some people prefer speed strips that are longer than needed for the revolver, i.e. seven or even eight round speed strips for a six round revolver. They state that the extra length makes for easier handling. True?

I'd rather ask these questions before I start buying stuff. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are advantages and disadvantages to each. Obviously with a speedloader, the cylinder is loaded in one shot, though depending on bullet design and whether the chambers are chamfered, it may require some jiggle to get the rounds all in. Practice, as always, helps make permanent.

I prefer HKS speedloaders, if I use them. Most often I use Bianchi speed strips. I prefer the speedstrips over the tuff strips as I've had several of the tuff strips rip apart.

Not taught much any more, but it used to be that with a revolver, rounds were loaded two at a time, and there are various techniques or practices for that. It works well off a speed strip. It's possible to put two rounds in at a time and peel them off the strip, and the revolver can be reloaded fairly quickly that way.

The speedstrips lay flat, which is why I carry them more often than speedloaders. The speedloaders work if in a suitcoat jacket pocket, or a belt carrier, and can be very fast if used properly. That's the key to whatever you decide to carry.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
While I normally prefer speed loaders for revolvers, I'm an active speed strip user, specifically Tuff Quickstrips.

The strips work a little better for me when carrying the one revolver in my lineup currently, a Smith 642. I carry two of them in a discrete nylon belt pouch (also by Tuff) when pocket-carrying the 642.

I use 8-round strips loaded to only 5 rounds, spaced to allow for better handling. It works for me, anyway. They are not as fast as speed loaders but they carry well and, with practice, can work well. I have a pile of snap-caps to bolster the practice I get with them on the range.

Edited to add: ditto the comments on loading 2 at a time via the strips - or, in my case, 2-2-1.

For a time while carrying a six-shot revolver, I also carried the 8-round strips and spaced the rounds out as 2-2-2.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I have both for my 642. If I'm wearing a jacket or pants/shorts with cargo pockets, I carry Safariland Comp-1 loaders. Without roomy pockets, they aren't comfortable to carry. I have received one Comp-1 that didn't last long before it stopped working properly. It's range-use only now. The other two have been fine.

When I don't have suitable pockets, I have two 6-shot Bianchi strips in a small nylon belt pouch for a compact camera. The pouch is the kind with elastic on the sides to allow expansion, and I had to cut a piece of plastic folder to form a divider between the two strips in the pouch. Otherwise the rounds locked into each other and I would pull both out at once.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Safariland Comp I speedloaders. I carry them in JOX speedloader pouches on my belt. I carry them mostly because they're less fumble-prone than other reloading methods. It's also easier to reload without looking at what you're doing, as it's probably a good idea to maintain awareness of your environment while reloading. The key to reloading with speedloaders is to grab them with your finger tips up by the bullets, with your index and middle fingers on adjacent bullets. Get the tips of those 2 rounds into 2 adjacent chambers and you can pivot the other rounds into the remaining chambers, then push on the loader to release them (or turn the knob, if you're using the HKS speedloaders). I like the simplicity of the Comp I loaders.

I've also used strips, mostly Tuff Products Speed Strips. I like them better than Bianchi's strips because they seem to release cartridges a little easier, but they are more prone to tearing, which is why I usually had multiples on hand. I haven't tried the longer ones, only the 6-round ones. I loaded my strips with 4 rounds in a 2-space-2-space fashion. You load 2 rounds at a time with strips. By the time I've loaded 4 rounds I only have 1 or 2 chambers (depending on the gun) left, and it can be tricky to get those last chambers loaded if you're also trying to maintain awareness of your environment. With strips, it's also good to practice partial reloads, i.e., get 2 rounds in and fire, if necessary. Longer strips may make it easier to get additional loads in the gun.

If you want to top off a partially empty cylinder, strips can be useful. However, I don't believe in "tactical reloads" for revolvers, as you have to: hold the gun muzzle down, press up on the extractor enough to raise the cartridges out of the chambers, release the extractor so the loded rounds re-enter the chambers and leave the spent cartridges up, remove the spent cartridges, then load the empty chambers from your strip, all while likely experiencing the effects of stress. Tactical reloads make sense with semi-autos because you can change mags much more easily. If I have a partially empty cylinder on a revolver, I'd rather just dump what's in the cylinder and do a full reload. It also simplifies my practice regimen. YMMV.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Carrying a revolver? Want a way to carry extra ammo that allow a quick, clean reload in a defensive combat situation?

Carry another revolver.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
One of the few good things to come out of NY, the NY reload- good advice Wink
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Carrying a revolver? Want a way to carry extra ammo that allow a quick, clean reload in a defensive combat situation?

Carry another revolver.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I use Safariland Comp I speedloaders.
What revolver do you use these for? I just looked at the SafariLand website and I only see two models of the Comp I: Group 1 is for 5-round J-frame types, and Group 2 is for N-Frame size .44 magnum.

I am looking for something for S&W Model 65: six-round K-Frame .38 SPL / .357 magnum.

I might have missed something on the SafariLand website, but I checked twice.

I do see the Comp II and Comp III available in the size that I need, but not the Comp I

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Carry another revolver.
Karma? Do you need my FFL's shipping address?

Actually, the model 65 is fairly hefty. I can't imagine carrying two of them. Thanks for the offer, though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I think the best speed loaders ever made were the early HKS all metal, milled aluminum. Next is the Safariland, and then the current HKS. I still use those in the woods and keep them in vehicles. For body carry it is hard to beat the speed strips for concealment.

Also I sometimes use the "NY reload" method.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Comp II speedloader is hardly bigger than the Comp I and easier to load.

But when and where will you be hastily reloading the revolver and how will you be carrying the reloading device?

Speed strips are flat for pocket carry, speedloaders are round and want a pouch.

Speedloaders are faster for competition.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
The Comp II speedloader is hardly bigger than the Comp I and easier to load.

But when and where will you be hastily reloading the revolver and how will you be carrying the reloading device?

Speed strips are flat for pocket carry, speedloaders are round and want a pouch.

Speedloaders are faster for competition.
I'm not likely to be shooting the revolver in competition, I barely stumble along in IDPA with a P228, and I hope to high heaven that I never need a reload for defensive purposes!

Basically looking for a convenient way to reload at the range without fumbling with loose rounds.

If the revolver sleeps next to my bed, it might be a good idea to have a "pre-packaged" reload available, same thinking applies to "truck gun" use. Well, not really a truck, but console of the car.

I'm not thinking in terms of concealed carry; the 4" K-Frame is a bit on the large / heavy side for that. It will be a range gun, maybe bedside, maybe vehicle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I use Safariland Comp I speedloaders.
What revolver do you use these for? I just looked at the SafariLand website and I only see two models of the Comp I: Group 1 is for 5-round J-frame types, and Group 2 is for N-Frame size .44 magnum.

I am looking for something for S&W Model 65: six-round K-Frame .38 SPL / .357 magnum.

I might have missed something on the SafariLand website, but I checked twice.

I do see the Comp II and Comp III available in the size that I need, but not the Comp I

Sorry about that. Comp I is for the J-frame, Comp II for the K-frame. I believe the Comp III is more for competition than carry.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not likely to be shooting the revolver in competition, I barely stumble along in IDPA with a P228, and I hope to high heaven that I never need a reload for defensive purposes!

Basically looking for a convenient way to reload at the range without fumbling with loose rounds.

If the revolver sleeps next to my bed, it might be a good idea to have a "pre-packaged" reload available, same thinking applies to "truck gun" use. Well, not really a truck, but console of the car.

I'm not thinking in terms of concealed carry; the 4" K-Frame is a bit on the large / heavy side for that. It will be a range gun, maybe bedside, maybe vehicle.

The main advantage of strips is their flatness, which helps with concealment when carrying. If you don't need to carry your reloads concealed, the speedloader would probably be the better choice.

For range use, I don't know how useful either type of reload would be. Unless you plan on buying a bunch of speedloaders/strips and loading them at home before heading to the range, you'll still likely have to either reload from loose rounds or reload the speedloaders/strips. If you plan on having speedloaders/strips handy for self defense purposes, such as for a nightstand gun, then you should practice with them. Just my opinion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
One of the few good things to come out of NY, the NY reload- good advice Wink
quote:

Carry another revolver.

That other .41 magnum on the ankle might get a tad heavy after a while.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
http://www.5starfirearms.com/K...ccessories-s/131.htm

These are well made and offer that SF level of quality.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
For range use, I don't know how useful either type of reload would be.
The range rules at our outdoor club might be a little unusual. Visualize the following:

Pistol areas are 20 - 25 yards deep, from back to front. You set your target stands at the 0-yard berm. There's a work table toward the back of the area, where you place your gear, load magazines, etc. When shooting, you walk forward toward the target until you're at whatever distance you want, then proceed to shoot.

Up until the time that you're ready to shoot, the gun is either holstered (if you're using a holster) or hand-carried unloaded, with slide locked back (semi auto) or cylinder open (revolver). When you're standing at your shooting position, you load and shoot.

That's where I don't particularly want to fumble with a pocket full of loose rounds. SpeedLoader or Speed Strip in a pocket or belt pouch is fine. Shoot, reload, shoot more. Then, with unloaded gun, walk back to work table and reload magazines or speed loaders or speed strips.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When I read your OP, it wasn't stated or obvious that this was for range work. But since this is on the range, yes, the NY reload is not appropriate here.

quote:
quote:

Carry another revolver.
Karma? Do you need my FFL's shipping address?

Actually, the model 65 is fairly hefty. I can't imagine carrying two of them. Thanks for the offer, though.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:

...Speed strips are flat for pocket carry, speedloaders are round and want a pouch...

I no longer carry my 642, but when I did a speed strip fit in the watch pocket of my jeans.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
I've carried 3-inch 13s, 65s, and 66s for over two decades as CCW.

The Safariland Comp I and Comp II speedloaders are simply the best. I like the Comp II despite slight increase in bulk because the outside edges of the loader are scored to match cylinder indents so you can align the reload by feel.

DeSantis makes a nice belt pouch (A35) I believe. Hume makes the Second Six speedloader pouch that is decent too. But nothing as close to perfection as Del Fatti's SLC.

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post