SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any thoughts on the Browning BDA .45 by Sig?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any thoughts on the Browning BDA .45 by Sig? Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
I might have chance to pick one up. I have been told it is in good condition but have not seen it yet.

Is this a desirable piece? It will be a shooter not a safe queen. I am hoping to hear some thoughts on these guns since I have zero experience with it. Also what is a fair price for one in decent condition?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
As you know, the BDA is a SIG Sauer P220. Other than wearing the Browning name and having high polished slide flats, they are identical. These guns are by no means scarce (in .45 auto) and show up regularly on the used market. Unless the gun is in mint condition with the box and manual, I would consider it a shooter grade pistol and pay accordingly based upon condition. In general, early shooter grade P220's with the Euro mag release bring less money than the later P220-1 with the more familiar American style magazine release. Factory grips for the BDA were fragile and are sometimes cracked. Original factory grips are next to impossible to locate though aftermarket replacements are available. Check to see if the lanyard ring in still installed. For some reason, many users removed the lanyard loop which makes the lower left grip panel even more susceptible to cracking. Lanyard rings are also next to impossible to locate. The BDA with its Euro mag release will accept any P220 magazine with a flat stamped steel base including P220-1 American mags with the cut-outs. Finally, I discourage +P loads in any P220 produced before serial number G 211300 (KD 1993) especially the very earliest imports which includes the BDA. In addition to the original P220 receiver being designed for standard loads, the early single strand recoil spring will not withstand hot loads. Replacement recoil springs for the BDA are difficult to locate and modern braided springs will not work in the early pistols. If you buy the pistol, be sure to keep it greased.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
As you know, the BDA is a SIG Sauer P220. Other than wearing the Browning name and having high polished slide flats, they are identical. These guns are by no means scarce (in .45 auto) and show up regularly on the used market. Unless the gun is in mint condition with the box and manual, I would consider it a shooter grade pistol and pay accordingly based upon condition. In general, early shooter grade P220's with the Euro mag release bring less money than the later P220-1 with the more familiar American style magazine release. Factory grips for the BDA were fragile and are sometimes cracked. Original factory grips are next to impossible to locate though aftermarket replacements are available. Check to see if the lanyard ring in still installed. For some reason, many users removed the lanyard loop which makes the lower left grip panel even more susceptible to cracking. Lanyard rings are also next to impossible to locate. The BDA with its Euro mag release will accept any P220 magazine with a flat stamped steel base including P220-1 American mags with the cut-outs. Finally, I discourage +P loads in any P220 produced before serial number G 211300 (KD 1993) especially the very earliest imports which includes the BDA. In addition to the original P220 receiver being designed for standard loads, the early single strand recoil spring will not withstand hot loads. Replacement recoil springs for the BDA are difficult to locate and modern braided springs will not work in the early pistols. If you buy the pistol, be sure to keep it greased.

Excellent post and information.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post