SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Richmond VA Gun Show Today: Some Observations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richmond VA Gun Show Today: Some Observations Login/Join 
posted
I decided to take a drive from Northern VA today and went to the Richmond gun show on Midlothia Blvd in the old Kmart. I left at 5 AM to avoid traffic so the drive down was only one hour and 40 minutes and about 2.5 hours to return home.

2 interesting pistols that I saw were Walter PPK, silver with black reps in 380 ACP. One dealer had a used one for $450 and the other was about $750. They both had imported by inter-are Alexandria VA on the sides of the guns. I was little tired from the drive down siding check the year but these seem to be better price than what I have seen on GunBroker.

In addition, it seems like every table I stop by at a gun show someone is trying to sell me that Turkish pistol the Canik and of course they everyone keeps saying it is the new Glock Killer. However, I have heard this many times before with multiple pistols from individuals and dealers such as Springfield Armory, S&W M&P, HK VP9 and VP40, etc. I do not think Glock is gonna be pushed aside by any gun company anytime soon. They produce a product that while some detest many people simply love. Police departments seem to be particularly fond of them or I should say police administrators.

Nevertheless, I just thought it was interesting that people are always trying to sell me this Turkish pistol and I was wondering is there big markup on them or did dealers end up buying a lot and having excess in their stock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report from another Virginian in Virginia Beach. I was thinking of going but it's just to challenging navigating I-64 during the summer months.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Canik was the subject of a recent thread here and most comments were favorable. It gets good reviews elsewhere too.
Glock killer? Nah.
But a durable, well thought and reliable pistol priced right? Could be. I will try one out when I get a little cash set aside.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
Thanks for the report from another Virginian in Virginia Beach. I was thinking of going but it's just to challenging navigating I-64 during the summer months.

Yu made the right choice Cousin Vinnie. I heard that with Beach traffice the I 64 to Richmond leg can be brutal with traffic.

I may try the gun show in Harrisonburg VA in Oct 7-8 since the dirve is I 66 west to 81 South. About 128 miles from Arlington County but not much traffic such as DC to Richmond

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
I decided to take a drive from Northern VA today and went to the Richmond gun show on Midlothia Blvd in the old Kmart. I left at 5 AM to avoid traffic so the drive down was only one hour and 40 minutes and about 2.5 hours to return home.

2 interesting pistols that I saw were Walter PPK, silver with black reps in 380 ACP. One dealer had a used one for $450 and the other was about $750. They both had imported by inter-are Alexandria VA on the sides of the guns. I was little tired from the drive down siding check the year but these seem to be better price than what I have seen on GunBroker.

In addition, it seems like every table I stop by at a gun show someone is trying to sell me that Turkish pistol the Canik and of course they everyone keeps saying it is the new Glock Killer. However, I have heard this many times before with multiple pistols from individuals and dealers such as Springfield Armory, S&W M&P, HK VP9 and VP40, etc. I do not think Glock is gonna be pushed aside by any gun company anytime soon. They produce a product that while some detest many people simply love. Police departments seem to be particularly fond of them or I should say police administrators.

Nevertheless, I just thought it was interesting that people are always trying to sell me this Turkish pistol and I was wondering is there big markup on them or did dealers end up buying a lot and having excess in their stock.

Zenith firearms imports turkish guns through Afton Va. Having shot and handled a fair number they are very well made. The 1911 and their beretta 92 clones are great guns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The Canik is another flavor of the month pistol that dealers are no doubt selling at huge mark ups. Hang around the firearms industry long enough, and they ebb and flow. Last year, there was a SIG knock off that a couple of people were raving about. The importer did a "torture test" video that showed the knock off besting all these SIG pistols and it was declared "better". Six months later, the fad has past, no one remembers the name, and it did not catch the traction those with a loaded, vested financial interest hoped, despite the marketing campaign disguised as a "torture test".

These fad guns come and go. SIG, Glock, Smith and Wesson they remain constant. Glock killer? Hardly.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I got stuck heading down I95 later than planned due to a water leak in my friends' basement (the husband was going with me so had to help them triage before getting on the road).

We ended up hitting Green Top to do a trade I had planned, then HiCaliber and CSA. Had planned to hit the gun show as well but that was discard eligible given the delayed start).

How big was this gun show? I've only ever been to the one out at RIR, not the location you mentioned.

Posts: 3084 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, yeah...the only pistol I think *could* be a "Glock Killer" would be the P320, due a little to its modularity, but mainly to winning the Army contract.

A modular, striker fired, polymer gun coming in at about the same price-point as Glock that is also the new Army hottness.

Even so, I don't think the P320 is gonna be a Glock Killer, certainly not the Canik!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I got stuck heading down I95 later than planned due to a water leak in my friends' basement (the husband was going with me so had to help them triage before getting on the road).

We ended up hitting Green Top to do a trade I had planned, then HiCaliber and CSA. Had planned to hit the gun show as well but that was discard eligible given the delayed start).

How big was this gun show? I've only ever been to the one out at RIR, not the location you mentioned.

About the size of the Fredericksburg gun show. I assume about 200 table?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Heh, yeah...the only pistol I think *could* be a "Glock Killer" would be the P320, due a little to its modularity, but mainly to winning the Army contract.

A modular, striker fired, polymer gun coming in at about the same price-point as Glock that is also the new Army hottness.

Even so, I don't think the P320 is gonna be a Glock Killer, certainly not the Canik!

I agree. Glock as a large market share and will keep it.

Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Glock is massively entrenched in the police market. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Regarding the Canik, it is a decently built gun with a PPQ-ish (too) light trigger and is made in Muslim Turkey. Doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell of dethroning Glock.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post