SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Can a Glock 22 have a 17 slide swapped in?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a Glock 22 have a 17 slide swapped in? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
With the cheap availability of LE trade in G22s, I'm on the fence about a cheap way to get into a full-sized 9mm Glock project.

I'm under the impression that I can just slap a 17 top end on a 22 and it will run, correct? Not a conversion barrel or anything, but a whole slide assembly.

Would I be good to go?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The ejectors are different between .40 and 9mm. At most, you would need to change out the trigger mechanism housing, which contains the ejector. Takes maybe three minutes if you've done it before.

If RSAs are different between .40 and 9mm in the gen 4 and 5 guns, I don't know anything about it, but in a third gen pistol, the ejector is the only difference between .40 and 9 if you're talking about a top end swap.

Someone may come along in this thread and say you don't even need to change out the ejector, but you will want the correct part for the caliber.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
interesting. Tagging for educational purposes.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Not sure it would be cheaper to do that. A complete 17 slide is not that cheap from what I have seen. I considered doing something similar with a Lonewolf complete frame and it wasn't that much more to just get the complete pistol. But then maybe you have a better source for a new complete 17 slide.

On the G3 the only difference is the ejector like Para said. I can't speak about the other generations.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If I have a G3 G27 and add a conversion barrel and a 9mm ejector, would I have a a “G26” that would be as reliable as an original?

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Internals are cheap on Glocks; swap the ejector, or keep it and just use the conversion barrel.

I run the conversion barrels on some of the .40 and .357 pistols to enable less expensive shooting of the pistol, and in that case, the only differences are the barrel, and sometimes the recoil spring assembly (RSA). Other than that, just the correct magazine, and you're in business.

If you're swapping the whole top end, I'd throw in the correct ejector.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
If I have a G3 G27 and add a conversion barrel and a 9mm ejector, would I have a a “G26” that would be as reliable as an original?

In theory: yes. In practice: it depends.

Not all aftermarket conversion barrels are the same. Storm Lake's barrels took a nasty QC blow after the Remington/Freedom Group buyout; very inconsistent results followed the takeover. They likely took more hits to their number of skilled staff when everything wound up in Alabama. Also I've heard from customers about fitting issues with certain batches of Lone Wolf's Alpha Wolf barrels though I've experienced no problems with my own, albeit likely made and sourced from a very different date and time than the purported problematic units.

As a further step you can also swap out the extractor (from SP06908 to SP01895) to maximize the likelihood of a reliable 9mm conversion. I've left the 40/357 extractor in place on a previous conversion 'build' and to date encountered no cycling issues with any of the 9mm ammo that I've tried with that configuration. But the 'claw' of that extractor is designed and made for a rim of a larger diameter case, however slight the difference is. Plus it's a relatively cheap measure ($17 to $20) to go ahead and spring for the 9mm extractor.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got no problems swapping parts on a Glock, so a simple ejector swap sounds good to go.

I'm looking to get into a project that will take time, so I really want a cheap frame and internals. I'm not necessarily going to get a complete 17 top end; may go aftermarket, because I'm not entirely sure what route I want to go with this gun, but I figure for just over $300 to have a complete frame (more or less) is a pretty good starting point.

I mean, I do also have a bunch of G17 and G22 mags sitting around with no gun to go in, but I have grown to dislike the .40, so I don't know if I'd ever shoot it as a G22.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Keep an eye out on gunbroker, complete uppers can be had at times where it does make it economical.

I went this way with a G21/20 and it is the most flexible handgun platform that I own.

If you aren't interested in mult-caliber it may just be a wash for you.

You'd be able to handle. 40, .357sig and 9mm and. 22 if you choose to with a conversion unit.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 22 and 17 share the same frame, other than a few parts. I have a G35 that I switched over to become a 9mm. I got a 9mm KKM conversion barrel and a few other custom parts-trigger,mag well, mag. release,guide rod,slide work and sights. It is only a range/fun gun for me. I am not sure if I swapped out the ejector or not and it does not have a problem but what Para said is correct. If you are going to use it for anything more than a range/fun gun, replacing the ejector would be a smart move as Murphy's Law likes to turn up at the worst times. They are cheap and there is not one thing on the pistol that is difficult to swap out and parts are everywhere. That is the beauty and appeal of the design, well at least for me.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't say it made sense financially but it was a simple project that was enjoyable.

LEFT..Detroit PD (DP or DPD prefix serial)Glock 22 frame with Glock 17 slide and 17 barrel done in CPII by CCR. Ejector changed over to 9mm. Works 100%.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
With my limited experience, I'd have to say yes.

Traded into a Gen2 (three pin) model 22. Can swap the .40 barrel, the .357Sig barrel, and the 9mm conversion barrel. Was able to use the same mags, but went to caliber specific mags so I wouldn't put a 9 in the .40 barrel.
The gentleman who had this before me said he ran a model 17 upper when he had it. Ran fine.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Yes. Bought s 22 frame, changed the ejector snd put a G17 top on it. Works great.

It may work without the ejector change, but I wouldn't trust my life on it. I have a G33 plus a G26 upper. It works fine without the change in ejector, but once again, I use it for range practice. If I was going to make it a real carry gun I'd change it to a 9 mm ejector.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, keep in mind all the "brass to the face" hysteria from three or four years ago. One of the remedies tried by Glock was ejectors with different dimensions, and set at a different angle.
Just factor that in to what we're talking about in this thread and you can see why it's to your advantage to use the correct parts.

I bought a police trade-in G22 RTF2 frame off of Gunbroker and turned it into a G34 RTF2. For the frame, the only change I made was the trigger mechanism housing I linked to in my post above. It runs perfectly.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies for my sight thread drift.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
For a lark at a range session, I swapped the top ends on my G22 RTF2 and Gen 1 17 and ran a few mags of 9mm though it. It ran fine and felt and shot amazing, but if I was going to do it permanently, I’d swap the extractor as advised.

I kind of want to find another RTF2 frame and build a 34 like Para did, and also find a beater first or second gen 17 upper and have it for a shorter option just for giggles.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post