SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P320 M18 versus Glock 19X
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P320 M18 versus Glock 19X Login/Join 
posted
I am currently looking at these two pistols for EDC and range use. I would appreciate pros and cons on both.

Thanks much!

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Both are accurate & reliable. They competed for the MHS contract against each other. The GAO said each was very close in performance and other factors that evaluators looked into, Sig came in with a program price nearly $130 million less than Glock.

The Pro for the SigM18: it’s trigger.
The Con: established track record.

The Pro for the 19X: ubiquitous
The con for the 19X: With Glock Gen 5 magazines, the extended base plate will not fit the Glock 19X. This is because the 19X grip has a lip that extends down and in front of the magazine. When using a Gen 5 magazine with the extended base plate, the front of the base plate hits the lip..

I upgraded all my 9mm Glocks to Gen 5’s. I passed on the 19X in favor of the G45. I have three of them. I don’t own a P320. My personal preference.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Glock 19 a bit smaller and easier to find Holsters for? Really like grip and the excellent thumb safety of M-18. The M-18 can be used like the 1911, cocked and locked, which has considerable appeal.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Con: they are both brown - multiple shades of brown.

Biggest different is the M18 has a frame mounted thumb safety and the Glock doesn't. That's a deal killer to some people - many prefer no safety on a defensive pistol, some insist on having one.

Glocks are simple and have lots of aftermarket support for just about every part. The grip shape and angle may work for you or it might not (doesn't for me). The add-on backstraps are helpful for larger hands, but probably the least useful implementation of configurable grips in the industry.

M18 grip shape and angle are more "American" and the replaceable grip modules are great if you need a smaller or larger grip. Trigger is metal and doesn't have a center "safety" tab like the Glock, which affects the feel, and may be preferable. Takedown is more "error proof" because you have to lock the slide back and remove the magazine to rotate the takedown lever, and not trigger pul is needed. Aftermarket support is getting better, but nothing like Glock.

Then there's the whole bore axis discussion...

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Shoot them and pick the one you shoot/like better.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have pistols from both families.
I sense a "I want to have what the military has" theme.

To do range and carry you are going to have to compromise.
I would be comparing G19 vs. X-Compact.
Or G45 vs. X-Carry.

Glock is simple and proven.
P320 is a more advanced design.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate the Glock grip angle so it is an easy choice for me. I'll take the more natural aiming Sig

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you need a 17 round full size grip and FDE gun? If not, I'd look at the P320 X-compact or the standard 19 for EDC.

I've got a P320 and I've handled the 19X. I like the grip and trigger on the 320 better then the glock. That's based on my hands, YMMV. Technically, the only difference between the M18 and 19X is the manual safety. Otherwise they are very similar on tech specs.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve got both. Both are accurate and reliable. 19x is a bit smaller with lower bore axis. M18 has a better trigger and replaceable grip frames (though replacement frames for the safety are a bit harder to come by). M18 has a very nice thumb safety if you like those. 19x has better sights but the M18 is cut for an optic.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and if the color and Gen5 mag comparability issues bother you on the 19x just get a 45. Since I now run a red dot on everything the 18 has the advantage of that standard versus the 19x, but the 45 can be had in MOS as a better alternative. One minor point if you buy a lot of magazines (I do) the glock ones are way cheaper. Pretty much the rest is above.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own both and they are both great choices. Choose the one that handles the most naturally to you.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After much thinking I had pretty well decided to go with the Sig P320 M18. Today I was perusing the net and read a report on the Sig P226 SAO Legion. The report had nothing but great things to say about this Sig. I know comparing the M18 to the SAO Legion is like comparing apples to oranges however would appreciate thoughts on this Legion model. I know the Legion will cost twice what the M18 runs.

Thanks

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
In my opinion those are very equally matched pistols. A G45 MOS would be almost identical to the M18 with the exception of the safety on the Sig as mentioned before. My personal preference would be the Glock but that's only due to me having more experience with them.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I picked up an M18 a bit over a week ago and have 400 rounds through it. So far I'm really liking it. I have a G45 (G19X but black) that I have had for a year and close to 3000 rounds through.
The M18 has become the one I grab. Partly because its new but also I've found that I really like the manual safety. It is very similar to my 1911's that I've been shooting forever. And I can put the M17 slide I picked up on the M18 so all kinds of coolness IMO.
The M18 seems to have less felt recoil to me than the Glock too but it's only 9mm..

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post