SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New TRP, first range trip.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New TRP, first range trip. Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted
After picking up a Dan Wesson Valor recently and getting bitten hard by the 1911 bug, I decided I needed a new 1911 that I could run hard, abuse, and not feel bad about roughing up a bit (unlike the Valor, which will be carried and shot, but treated relatively gently). I dug into my safe and traded one of my Berettas and a Smith that I rarely shot for a new Springfield TRP. I know Springfield has taken a PR hit due some boneheaded political decisions, but if it makes you feel better this gun predates that and has been sitting in the display case for a few years now.

Its built tight. Really tight. So tight that it would occasionally hang with the slide half retracted when working it by hand. Zero play in the slide or barrel hood. Trigger has just a little slop in fit to the frame and just a hair of takeup before the break. Clean 4.5 lb break with no noticeable over travel.

I'm not crazy about the front sight. The vial is inset a bit into the sight itself which makes the white outline invisible under some lighting conditions. This makes the front sight hard to pick up compared to the obvious rear dots. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Here she is after her first 150 rounds. No failures of any kind and the barrel lockup seems to have broken in niceley as it now cycles much smoother. Still no perceptible play.

And how does she shoot? First 8 rounds at 10 yds...

She shoots a bit high, especially at 25yds(I'm not sure about the 6 oclock hold) but the pulling left is all me. Been awhile since I ran a 1911 and I'm getting too much finger on the trigger.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Hmmm . . . One hole. Looks like its key-holing and the sights are off significantly to get the rest all the way off the target. I'd sell it. Look, I'll be fair and give you $200 for that obvious POS. Cash even. Or trade it even across the board for a rare hand-raised rosy boa constrictor I have.

But seriously looks great! I wish Springfield would offer their TRP pistols in 9mm.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Oh its awful alright. Look how much those groups open up when I start shooting quickly on the right side targets. Springfield should be ashamed...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!

Very nice shooting.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I love my TRP!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! Great shooting!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
The TRP is a very nice 1911. You will get years of enjoyment out of it. I have a TRP Operator full rail that is really nice to shoot.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new TRP & nice shooting! I have over 10k rounds through mine & it's been totally reliable. The very first thing I did with mine was replace the guide rod with a GI style rod/spring/plug. Some folks like the one piece rods, though.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A coworker has a TRP Operator that initially was fitted extremely tight. That one would not run without stoppage in its first couple of boxes of ammo. He stopped after that first session and complained to Springfield only to have them throw it back, "Keep shooting it. It'll come." My coworker was understandably put off by that retort and it took him several months to get over it, but he finally took it out to 'persevere' and break-in the gun. He told me at about 450-500 rounds the gun finally began to run consistently without stoppage.

This was about six or seven years ago, about the time I first started working at the shop. Now that gun really IS a sweetheart of a shooter. I still detest SA and especially their CEO/owner but even I have to admit that they make some really nice 1911s. And that one gun was the instigator that convinced me that I should by a 1911 for myself. That first Loaded that I had (Brazilian) didn't quite work out for me, but the three 1911s I do own (none SAs, btw) are keepers.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post